James McClean

Started by thewobbler, July 19, 2015, 12:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ashman

Quote from: SHEEDY on December 22, 2017, 11:52:45 AM
Quote from: charlieTully on December 22, 2017, 11:24:34 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on December 22, 2017, 10:50:14 AM
Teams often reflect their most important players, and McClean sums up Irish soccer these days. Hardworking and committed, but fundamentally not good enough to compete at a high level, and generally unlikeable.

If that's the yardstick for an individual sporting award, then we have low standards.

He doesn't vote SDLP. Get over it.
I love james mcclean and the way he has the courage to stand up for what he believes in. I love the way he wears his heart on his sleeve when he's playing for ireland and he seems to care as much as the most passionate fan but that doesnt make him the best sports person ireland has produced this year.

He was voted as best sportsperson of the year to be fair .  It was sports personality of the year .

longballin

Quote from: tonto1888 on December 22, 2017, 12:02:15 PM
Teams often reflect their most important players, and McClean sums up Irish soccer these days. Hardworking and committed, but fundamentally not good enough to compete at a high level, and generally unlikeable.

If that's the yardstick for an individual sporting award, then we have low standards.

I love james mcclean and the way he has the courage to stand up for what he believes in. I love the way he wears his heart on his sleeve when he's playing for ireland and he seems to care as much as the most passionate fan but that doesnt make him the best sports person ireland has produced this year.

agreed. I think he is a decent footballer but it comes to down to this for me. In a pure footballing sense would I want him to sign for Celtic? The answer to that is no

He'd be a legend up there... and to be fair the standard in the Scottish league is crap 

tonto1888

Quote from: longballin on December 22, 2017, 12:09:44 PM

agreed. I think he is a decent footballer but it comes to down to this for me. In a pure footballing sense would I want him to sign for Celtic? The answer to that is no

He'd be a legend up there... and to be fair the standard in the Scottish league is crap

Thats why I said in a pure footballing sense. He wouldn't add anything to the team and would be too expensive

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

lenny

He's good enough for the lower half of the epl no bother but he's not good enough for celtic. He's nowhere near as good as Forrest, Roberts, Sinclair and if he cam he would hamper the progress of exciting prospects like mikey johnston.

Itchy

Quote from: lenny on December 30, 2017, 08:17:22 AM

He's good enough for the lower half of the epl no bother but he's not good enough for celtic. He's nowhere near as good as Forrest, Roberts, Sinclair and if he cam he would hamper the progress of exciting prospects like mikey johnston.

You're deluded if you actually believe that.

lenny

Quote from: Itchy on December 30, 2017, 12:40:37 PM
Quote from: lenny on December 30, 2017, 08:17:22 AM

You're deluded if you actually believe that.

Not deluded at all. Joey Barton was Burnley's player of the season the year before he joined the new rangers but he couldn't hack it in the Scottish premier league. People accuse the spl of being championship standard but the reality is that outside the top 6 or 7 clubs in the epl all the rest are championship standard. McLean would be very good for most clubs in the spl but he wouldn't improve Celtic.

Itchy

Havr to agree to differ then. If I look at a team like Burnley for example, I'd say they'd only be interested in 3 or maybe 4 of the Celtic team. If Celtics players were that good they'd already be at teams in the premier league's bottom half getting paid a lot more than they are today. That said I do think the likes if Sinclair, Dembele, Armstrong and tierney are very good players. But lustig, McGregor, Forrest are very ordinary and lose the ball way too much against poor opposition.

lenny

Quote from: Itchy on December 30, 2017, 01:00:35 PM
Havr to agree to differ then. If I look at a team like Burnley for example, I'd say they'd only be interested in 3 or maybe 4 of the Celtic team. If Celtics players were that good they'd already be at teams in the premier league's bottom half getting paid a lot more than they are today. That said I do think the likes if Sinclair, Dembele, Armstrong and tierney are very good players. But lustig, McGregor, Forrest are very ordinary and lose the ball way too much against poor opposition.

I agree with you to a certain extent. Burnley probably wouldn't want too many Celtic players because they wouldn't be an ungrade on their players. And likewise Celtic wouldn't want too many Burnley players because they wouldn't be an upgrade either. Ie both squads are of similar standard. McLean would do okay for Celtic but he wouldn't improve the team and would be too costly.

longballin

Looking at this rubbish McClean well up to that standard

lenny

Quote from: longballin on December 30, 2017, 01:26:58 PM

I see you've been fooled into believing the myth of the epl. Yes it does have attractive games like arsenal v united, city v liverpool and spurs v chelsea but it also has bog standard very average games like stoke v huddersfield, watford  v stoke, swansea v bournemouth etc. These clubs are filled with average players very few of whom would improve the current celtic team. Of course there are a lot of players there who could come in and do a similar job but they wouldn't make any significant improvements. Mclean is pretty much up to the standard okay but he's not an improvement and he's on v high wages.

longballin

Quote from: lenny on December 30, 2017, 01:58:33 PM

I see you've been fooled into believing the myth of the epl. Yes it does have attractive games like arsenal v united, city v liverpool and spurs v chelsea but it also has bog standard very average games like stoke v huddersfield, watford  v stoke, swansea v bournemouth etc. These clubs are filled with average players very few of whom would improve the current celtic team. Of course there are a lot of players there who could come in and do a similar job but they wouldn't make any significant improvements. Mclean is pretty much up to the standard okay but he's not an improvement and he's on v high wages.

Only thing is top of Scotland is bog standard...

lenny

Quote from: longballin on December 30, 2017, 03:13:11 PM

I'm glad we're now in agreement - the top of the spl is about the same standard as the lower half of the epl or championship. The bottom half of the spl is more like league 1 standard. Celtic wouldn't make the top 6 in the epl as things stand but if they were in that league with the immediate 100 million plus injection they would get from tv money they would soon be challenging at the top of the table.

longballin

Quote from: lenny on December 30, 2017, 08:42:14 PM
Quote from: longballin on December 30, 2017, 03:13:11 PM

I'm glad we're now in agreement - the top of the spl is about the same standard as the lower half of the epl or championship. The bottom half of the spl is more like league 1 standard. Celtic wouldn't make the top 6 in the epl as things stand but if they were in that league with the immediate 100 million plus injection they would get from tv money they would soon be challenging at the top of the table.

If you say so  :o