James McClean

Started by thewobbler, July 19, 2015, 12:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Il Bomber Destro

McClean comes across as a really good guy. People keep saying that makes a rod for his own back by not compromising on principles that clearly mean a great deal to him and the community he grew up in.

Some people when they make it big are quick to forget where they came from, McClean is not one of those. I don't think it's anything to do with McClean not being bright, I think he's fully aware of the consequences of his actions but is willing to take the (unjust) flak that comes his way as a consequence of standing up for his beliefs.

Be it money, popularity, career opportunities or receiving vitriolic abuse, McClean suffers it not because he's a an idiot but because he has uncompromising morals. Maybe if people tried to understand the community he grew up in and the tragedy and hardships inflicted on it by the British armed forces and state they would understand.

johnneycool

Quote from: mylestheslasher on October 18, 2015, 09:51:07 PM
Personally I think if some lout in the crowd is roaring sectarian abuse at you then you can goad away, f**k them. You may not like  McClean and maybe he is only an average footballer but he does possess some principles which in the modern day of filthy rich ball bags diving and cheating, is ok by me.

Was there sectarian abuse thrown at him or are you just surmising?

GJL

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on October 19, 2015, 10:48:09 AM
McClean comes across as a really good guy. People keep saying that makes a rod for his own back by not compromising on principles that clearly mean a great deal to him and the community he grew up in.

Some people when they make it big are quick to forget where they came from, McClean is not one of those. I don't think it's anything to do with McClean not being bright, I think he's fully aware of the consequences of his actions but is willing to take the (unjust) flak that comes his way as a consequence of standing up for his beliefs.

Be it money, popularity, career opportunities or receiving vitriolic abuse, McClean suffers it not because he's a an idiot but because he has uncompromising morals. Maybe if people tried to understand the community he grew up in and the tragedy and hardships inflicted on it by the British armed forces and state they would understand.

Good post. I would hardly think he is too worried about the British media and what they think of him. He is getting massive money to play football and I doubt if he will hang around when he has finished playing. Fair play to him.

magpie seanie

Quote from: GJL on October 19, 2015, 10:54:20 AM

Good post. I would hardly think he is too worried about the British media and what they think of him. He is getting massive money to play football and I doubt if he will hang around when he has finished playing. Fair play to him.

Absolutely agree. I'd say what the dickheads on MOTD2 or other British media think of him are of no concern to McClean.

And he is certainly not thick. He expresses himself very well when people bother to listen to his viewpoint. People that stand up for what they think is right are few and far between nowadays - it should be encouraged. However, what the ruling classes want is people who lie down like dogs and accept everything - that's why the likes of McClean are subject to massive overreactions.

gallsman

Fair play to him. Unless there's a clause in his contract that prohibits him from doing anything of the sort, I don't see how his actions could be seen as unprofessional. He didn't abuse anyone from what I can see, just showed a crowd of yobs what they could do with their own abuse. Maybe he does make a bit of a rod for himself but better that and to have some principles rather than just coasy by. Think he's been let down by Pulis and his  comments.

laoislad

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 19, 2015, 11:57:19 AM
Quote from: GJL on October 19, 2015, 10:54:20 AM

I'd say what the d**kheads on MOTD2 or other British media think of him are of no concern to McClean.

I'd say you're wrong.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

skeog

if i was james i would not be in england at all getting abuse from idiots

maldini

He'll be Celtic's first signing next summer

Keyser soze

It is clear there is a commentator's bias towards McClean, the commentator said that he is 'clearly losing the plot here' in reference to McClean when it was manifestly obvious that it was a Siunderland player who was the aggressor and who instigated the entire player involvement in this incident.

Having said that it was a very stupid thing to do in goading the crowd by him in th first place.

ashman

Quote from: skeog on October 19, 2015, 12:43:41 PM
if i was james i would not be in england at all getting abuse from idiots

I think Saturday was his first day where he got stick .  It was from a former club so nothing to see.

By and large I think there is little reaction to JMC in England.  To be honest he is a mediocre pro playing in a mediocre side.  He is not good enough to generate hate from opposition.  Also we are living in a period of relative peace so tensions are not high.

general_lee

Why is it that every time McClean makes the news every other comment is on how average, mediocre and poor McClean is as a footballer? What actual relevance has that? I hear it will be Sunderland that will be getting in bother with the FA for their chanting  ;D

laoislad

Quote from: Keyser soze on October 19, 2015, 12:52:08 PM
It is clear there is a commentator's bias towards McClean, the commentator said that he is 'clearly losing the plot here' in reference to McClean when it was manifestly obvious that it was a Siunderland player who was the aggressor and who instigated the entire player involvement in this incident.

Having said that it was a very stupid thing to do in goading the crowd by him in th first place.
Yeah without a doubt and I mentioned the same myself a few posts back.. The Sky commentator also saying he was from Londonderry in Northern Ireland a few weeks back.
That's why I believe he isn't helping himself.
As someone just said maybe he would be better off out of England altogether.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ashman

Quote from: general_lee on October 19, 2015, 01:00:22 PM
Why is it that every time McClean makes the news every other comment is on how average, mediocre and poor McClean is as a footballer? What actual relevance has that? I hear it will be Sunderland that will be getting in bother with the FA for their chanting  ;D

My point was that he is getting little abuse because he is an average footballer and we are in a period of relative peace.

illdecide

Quote from: laoislad on October 19, 2015, 10:45:52 AM
Quote from: illdecide on October 19, 2015, 08:53:47 AM
I agree with nrico here...a lot of you guys getting your knickers in a twist over nothing. He got verbally abused all during the game and went over after the game to shake his fist back at them to celebrate his teams victory and now he's a tool or whatever else he got called...FFS talk about making mountains out of molehills. He got stick and gave a bit back...end of story, doesn't matter if he's an amateur or a wealthy professional footballer. What difference does that make.
I'm not getting my knickers in a twist about anything. I couldn't care less what the chap does,and I don't think it was anything particularly bad he did,more stupid than bad.
All I'm saying is,for his own sake,he would be better off saying/doing nothing and getting on with playing football.
The guy has a reputation and doing something like he did on Saturday will only enhance that.
He ran the length of the pitch to goad the opposition fans,it was stupid thing to do.
He is making things worse for himself.I'm not sure how anyone could see it any other way.
As I said I don't really care all that much,I'm just giving my opinion so my knickers are perfectly untwisted thank you very much.

What colour are they?... ;)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

balladmaker

QuoteMcClean comes across as a really good guy.

I've met James on a few different occasions, a nicer, no BS, down to earth fella, you won't meet.