Who are the greatest chokers of recent times?

Started by Bomber2312, July 12, 2008, 01:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bomber2312

Just wondering lads who do ye reckon are the greatest chokers of recent times? Some memorable bridesmaids since 1990 most notaly the dubs losing finals in the early 90's although they possibly redeemed themselves in 1995. We have fairly collapsed ourselves (Mayo) in a few finals while what about Corks capitulation last year? Any thoughts?

the Deel Rover

Jeez bomber its tough enough been a mayo man on this board at times without a fellow mayoman starting a thread on the biggest chokers, ah well the damage is done now nothing left to do but to sit back and "enjoy" the comments ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

J70

Mayo, Cork, Donegal...

Don't think it would be fair to include the Dubs as they've come close but have generally been edged out by better teams (even if they have surrendered some big leads in the process) and haven't taken any ridiculous beatings like the other three.

Hardy

I'd like to put in a word for Louth here. Just out of neighbourliness.

Shamrock Shore

My local club, Mostrim, lost (it seemed) 45 county finals in a row in the 80s

Main Street

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on July 12, 2008, 03:18:16 PM
My local club, Mostrim, lost (it seemed) 45 county finals in a row in the 80s
For some, the depression of the 80's seemed like forever. :)

A Quinn Martin Production

Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Dinny Breen

Laois, only 1 Leinster tiltle with that bunch of players...
#newbridgeornowhere

Farrandeelin

Knockmore lost 3 out of 4 County finals in the early part of this decade. Between that and Mayo I often wonder should I just quit altogether. :-\
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

seafoid

Clann na nGael of Ros and all-Ireland club fame are the standard by which all chokers must be measured.

I think Cloyne hurlers have been waiting ages for a county title and very close on more than one occasion.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

ONeill

Up until Mickey got the reigns, Tyrone were serious chokers. '56 was forgiveable but losing to Louth in '57 wasn't. Hammered in Croke in 73 and '84 after the McGuigan show. '86 was probably our greatest choke against the handpassing animals. '89 was a disaster against Mayo - a choke too many. Then '95 and everyone choking except Peter. '96 we were choked by the savagery from the Royals. That was the day I accepted it wasn't in our make-up to win the thing. 6 long years without a Croker appearance in the championship put the hunger on us again and we choked like we'd never choked before against Sligo. It wasn't until Harte instilled a sense of belief - hammered Fermanagh, choked Kerry and stumbled past Armagh. But for 47 years we were Croker Chokers without equal.

Damn you Art.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

mannix

Mayo for 06 and 04, at least they fought in the others.Clannna gael from roscommon were final losers in good few consecutive seasons.Limerick hurlers for that dreadful thing they allowed offaly do to them.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: mannix on July 12, 2008, 09:11:25 PM
Mayo for 06 and 04, at least they fought in the others.Clannna gael from roscommon were final losers in good few consecutive seasons.Limerick hurlers for that dreadful thing they allowed offaly do to them.
Well they did in '96 at any rate. ;D

Clann lost four or five AIF's in a row in the late 80's, might have been 87 to 90, as well as in 83. That took doing.

johnpower

Quote from: Owenmoresider on July 12, 2008, 10:51:35 PM
Quote from: mannix on July 12, 2008, 09:11:25 PM
Well they did in '96 at any rate. ;D

Clann lost four or five AIF's in a row in the late 80's, might have been 87 to 90, as well as in 83. That took doing.

Why call teams chokers ? maybe they were not good enough .Kerry 2001 and 2003 could be called chokers but they also met teams better prepared and at the top of their game ,someones got to lose

his holiness nb

I find it amazing when people repeatedly call the modern Dublin team chokers. With possibly the exeption of Mayo two years ago, every time the Dubs were knocked out of the championship recently, it was to a side superior to them at the time.

In recent years Navan O'Mahonies in Meath would have to be up there.
Ask me holy bollix