GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

supersub

Nothing from the GAA on this though for the 6?

mackers

Apologies.  Contact training is allowed in the 6 from today, it's a notification on whether challenge games can go ahead that is to be announced today (in the 6 counties).
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Blowitupref

Quote from: mackers on June 29, 2020, 11:24:01 AM
Apologies.  Contact training is allowed in the 6 from today, it's a notification on whether challenge games can go ahead that is to be announced today (in the 6 counties).

Any dates set for start of the club championships in Down, Antrim, Tyrone, Armagh, Fermanagh and Derry?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Mikhailov

What is story regarding challenge games in the 26? What date can they commence?
The date of July 17th for the wee 6 is too late, sure some county championships are due to start on the 17th weekend....

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Mikhailov on June 29, 2020, 07:04:33 PM
The date of July 17th for the wee 6 is too late, sure some county championships are due to start on the 17th weekend....

20th July - WAS the challenge date before the whole thing was brought forward.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Blowitupref

A Kilkenny club player has apparently tested positive for Covid-19.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

sid waddell

Strong words from Michael Duignan. I agree with him.

https://www.otbsports.com/football/gaa-michael-duignan-1038161

Stressing that while he feels the organisation have performed largely well during lockdown, Duignan says he has issues about a return to play.

"The first thing I probably wouldn't have done is put a date in place when you are allowing clubs to play until the end of October. It is creating an overlap.

"I would have also said that any county that trains between now and that date [...] if you are going to train as a county before then, as is reportedly going on around the country, I would throw those teams out of the Championship."

Duignan took a dim view of John Horan's comments about 'not intending' to punish teams that are training before then.

"I don't want the headline to be 'kick them out', but this is not skirting the rules. This, to me, is way more serious than that. We are just coming out of an unprecedented time of our lives, and we can't talk out of both sides of our mouth here.

"If community is going to be first and club is going to be first - it would have been easier to bring back county first, from a logistics point of view. The decision was made to go back with their clubs because every player is a club player.

"I'm disillusioned with the direction from inter-county managers, first of all, for putting pressure on their players to getting back training. Because players will do whatever they are asked to do.

"I am starting with inter-county managers, then county boards for allowing it to happen. I'm also disillusioned with Croke Park for not coming up with stricter sanctions. And the players themselves, and the GPA in particular, for not standing up and saying 'we're not accepting this'.

"It is hypocrisy, it is dishonest and what sort of message are we sending to young men, who are supposed to be leaders of their community, between 22-25 years of age?

"We are running courses for them, we are putting them through college through the GPA, and yet we're telling them that being dishonest and hypocritical is the right way to go about your business. I think it is disgraceful what is happening around the country."

"I think it is high time that people in the GAA grew up and grew a pair of balls, and called it for what it is: you are either training with your county or you're not.

imtommygunn

Likewise. It shows no regards for players or clubs.

Farrandeelin

Got an email saying it's from 1st July. Tomorrow apparently.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

toby47

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 29, 2020, 05:18:36 PM
Quote from: mackers on June 29, 2020, 11:24:01 AM

Any dates set for start of the club championships in Down, Antrim, Tyrone, Armagh, Fermanagh and Derry?

Derry championship kicks off weekend 1st/2nd August.

Mikhailov

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 30, 2020, 08:07:18 AM

Got an email saying it's from 1st July. Tomorrow apparently.

So the 26 start challenge games on July 1st but the wee 6 must wait until July 17th. Typical GAA leadership on show here. No date should have been announced until they were sure it had been agreed with the necessary timing issues sorted. I thought the big talk a few weeks back was that we will all start back together as one entity. Interesting to see what happens now

downjim

I thought Ulster GAA were making a statement yesterday!

thebackbar1

Quote from: sid waddell on June 30, 2020, 12:00:43 AM

Stressing that while he feels the organisation have performed largely well during lockdown, Duignan says he has issues about a return to play.

"The first thing I probably wouldn't have done is put a date in place when you are allowing clubs to play until the end of October. It is creating an overlap.

"I would have also said that any county that trains between now and that date [...] if you are going to train as a county before then, as is reportedly going on around the country, I would throw those teams out of the Championship."

Duignan took a dim view of John Horan's comments about 'not intending' to punish teams that are training before then.

"I don't want the headline to be 'kick them out', but this is not skirting the rules. This, to me, is way more serious than that. We are just coming out of an unprecedented time of our lives, and we can't talk out of both sides of our mouth here.

"If community is going to be first and club is going to be first - it would have been easier to bring back county first, from a logistics point of view. The decision was made to go back with their clubs because every player is a club player.

"I'm disillusioned with the direction from inter-county managers, first of all, for putting pressure on their players to getting back training. Because players will do whatever they are asked to do.

"I am starting with inter-county managers, then county boards for allowing it to happen. I'm also disillusioned with Croke Park for not coming up with stricter sanctions. And the players themselves, and the GPA in particular, for not standing up and saying 'we're not accepting this'.

"It is hypocrisy, it is dishonest and what sort of message are we sending to young men, who are supposed to be leaders of their community, between 22-25 years of age?

"We are running courses for them, we are putting them through college through the GPA, and yet we're telling them that being dishonest and hypocritical is the right way to go about your business. I think it is disgraceful what is happening around the country."

"I think it is high time that people in the GAA grew up and grew a pair of balls, and called it for what it is: you are either training with your county or you're not.

Duigan is 100% correct on this, You would think the GPA could of shown some leadership and asked all its players not to train with their county teams.

Taylor

Quote from: thebackbar1 on June 30, 2020, 01:33:45 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on June 30, 2020, 12:00:43 AM

Duigan is 100% correct on this, You would think the GPA could of shown some leadership and asked all its players not to train with their county teams.

+1

For some counties to have the players training instead of playing club league games is scandalous for this specific year.

And I dont blame the players here - if they take a stand they will be dropped from panels

Main Street

I read somewhere that dressing rooms are out of bounds. Fortunately my home town club have a river (sometimes a shuck) flowing by. But in the event of a club not being blessed with such natural  water amenities, it could be a time for knocking heads together and coming up with alternatives.
This would be regarded as top of the line in the garden hose variety.

This would be the bog standard , well a shade or two above a watering can.