Bob Geldof

Started by Eamonnca1, November 14, 2017, 12:05:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Syferus on December 15, 2017, 06:59:45 PM
Joshua Tree is still the greatest Irish album of all time.

Love or hate Bono, at least U2 has done a bit of work and produced a steady stream of albums and still goes on tours that are sold out. Some of their songs are hits and some are misses, I think the Joshua Tree was a high point, but you can't argue with their creativity or willingness to adapt and evolve, which in my opinion is the measure of a good artist. It's more than you can say for Bob "only 45 people showed up for my gig in Milan" Geldof. He had a handful of mediocre singles out in the early 90s and since then he's done damn all musically. Seems to be still living on the laurels of his Live Aid work, a well-intentioned campaign that backfired and probably ended up hurting more Ethiopians than it helped.

armaghniac

As Bob himself said, someone is always looking at you (oh oh).
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Syferus

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 15, 2017, 08:32:34 PM

Love or hate Bono, at least U2 has done a bit of work and produced a steady stream of albums and still goes on tours that are sold out. Some of their songs are hits and some are misses, I think the Joshua Tree was a high point, but you can't argue with their creativity or willingness to adapt and evolve, which in my opinion is the measure of a good artist. It's more than you can say for Bob "only 45 people showed up for my gig in Milan" Geldof. He had a handful of mediocre singles out in the early 90s and since then he's done damn all musically. Seems to be still living on the laurels of his Live Aid work, a well-intentioned campaign that backfired and probably ended up hurting more Ethiopians than it helped.

It's a pity because Bannana Republic was a great song and you'd not have bet on U2 and Bono outstripping him so totally musically back then.

Ironically Geldof was criticising the very time period Seafoid is lionising in the US thread.

trileacman

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 15, 2017, 08:32:34 PM

Extrapolate that?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Eamonnca1

"...aid expert David Rieff argues that guilt-stricken donations helped fund a brutal resettlement programme that may have killed up to 100,000."

Cruel to be kind?

Shamrock Shore

Oh Jazes - me eyes!