Tax breaks for intercounty footballers

Started by Il Bomber Destro, January 06, 2018, 12:02:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 08, 2018, 07:47:58 PM
Quote from: Itchy on January 08, 2018, 03:27:46 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on January 08, 2018, 08:50:56 AM
This is getting hot and a little off topic but my tuppence worth.....

1. The "grants" or "additional expenses" or whatever angle of the fudge you want to take are a disgrace. They clearly breach GAA rules on being amateur for a start. Secondly, the supposed cultural and heritage benefits - clearly every volunteer in the GAA contributes to this so singling out elite players - who are looked after pretty well by the association and certainly benefit in their personal lives from their profiles as intercounty players - is grossly inappropriate. There are many other aspects of Irish culture and heritage that are ignored for similar grants, traditional music, the Irish language etc. It's completely wrong. I was there in Sligo the day this Trojan horse was welcomed into the Association and I mark it as the worst day in GAA history.

2. As above, tax breaks for elite GAA players as the original article suggests would again be wrong. The same reasons apply - a lack of equity across the board. I'd be more inclined to give tax breaks to folk who go out after work helping the homeless or sick/old. Trouble is if you get a picture with them no one will retweet it.

3. Bombers observances on the crooks and liars that have run the Republic since the foundation of the State are very difficult to argue. To be fair, I'd say it was more incompetence up to the 60's/70's but a healthy does of corruption and self serving since then. We refuse to break the cycle and hence we have huge and worsening inequality in our society.

Thanks.

They are neither of these things. This is an agreement between the government and the players. It is a tax incentive meaning you get some tax relief if you are classed as a high performance athlete. The same will apply to amateur runners, high jumpers, boxers etc. You will need to have another job to benefit as you must be paying taxes to get relief on them. I see no issue with the idea in general. These tax incentives exist in all walks of life - buy a house in rural ireland, mortgage relief etc etc.

I see someone earlier having a moan about the government helping the GAA with Croke park. What the government invested in that they got back 10 fold since in concerts, people coming into the city and revenue generated. Its a great example of how it should work.  Really don't understand all the negativity.

The government invested in Croke Park! Did they get Shares? from what i remember Croke Park received a series of government grants worth around €108m in total!

No they didnt get shares. They got an increased tax take for their investment.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Itchy on January 09, 2018, 09:58:44 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on January 08, 2018, 07:47:58 PM
Quote from: Itchy on January 08, 2018, 03:27:46 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on January 08, 2018, 08:50:56 AM
This is getting hot and a little off topic but my tuppence worth.....

1. The "grants" or "additional expenses" or whatever angle of the fudge you want to take are a disgrace. They clearly breach GAA rules on being amateur for a start. Secondly, the supposed cultural and heritage benefits - clearly every volunteer in the GAA contributes to this so singling out elite players - who are looked after pretty well by the association and certainly benefit in their personal lives from their profiles as intercounty players - is grossly inappropriate. There are many other aspects of Irish culture and heritage that are ignored for similar grants, traditional music, the Irish language etc. It's completely wrong. I was there in Sligo the day this Trojan horse was welcomed into the Association and I mark it as the worst day in GAA history.

2. As above, tax breaks for elite GAA players as the original article suggests would again be wrong. The same reasons apply - a lack of equity across the board. I'd be more inclined to give tax breaks to folk who go out after work helping the homeless or sick/old. Trouble is if you get a picture with them no one will retweet it.

3. Bombers observances on the crooks and liars that have run the Republic since the foundation of the State are very difficult to argue. To be fair, I'd say it was more incompetence up to the 60's/70's but a healthy does of corruption and self serving since then. We refuse to break the cycle and hence we have huge and worsening inequality in our society.

Thanks.

They are neither of these things. This is an agreement between the government and the players. It is a tax incentive meaning you get some tax relief if you are classed as a high performance athlete. The same will apply to amateur runners, high jumpers, boxers etc. You will need to have another job to benefit as you must be paying taxes to get relief on them. I see no issue with the idea in general. These tax incentives exist in all walks of life - buy a house in rural ireland, mortgage relief etc etc.

I see someone earlier having a moan about the government helping the GAA with Croke park. What the government invested in that they got back 10 fold since in concerts, people coming into the city and revenue generated. Its a great example of how it should work.  Really don't understand all the negativity.

The government invested in Croke Park! Did they get Shares? from what i remember Croke Park received a series of government grants worth around €108m in total!

No they didnt get shares. They got an increased tax take for their investment.

The GAA don't pay tax.

Shamrock Shore

QuoteThe GAA don't pay tax.

It certainly does - ever hear of VAT?

So if grounds are being redeveloped or a new stand being built it pays over 13.5%/23% or 20% VAT.
A club/county cannot recover this.

GAA would also pay ER PRSI/NI or its salaried staff.
GAA clubs/counties would also pay CGT if it made a profit on the sale of property.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on January 09, 2018, 10:19:06 AM
QuoteThe GAA don't pay tax.

It certainly does - ever hear of VAT?

So if grounds are being redeveloped or a new stand being built it pays over 13.5%/23% or 20% VAT.
A club/county cannot recover this.

GAA would also pay ER PRSI/NI or its salaried staff.
GAA clubs/counties would also pay CGT if it made a profit on the sale of property.

The GAA don't pay Income Tax, any profit they earn is completely untaxed.

The GAA don't pay VAT on their income. I think you fail to understand VAT. If they pay a VAT registered supplier, it is up to that supplier to file their VAT returns and pay Revenue their VAT liability. The GAA don't actually pay VAT, their VAT registered suppliers do. The GAA are not VAT registered so are not entitled to reclaim any VAT paid to their suppliers.

The GAA get big tax breaks on CGT.

The GAA is a very rich and debt free organisation that get plenty of tax breaks and aid and assistance from the state, which is why I find the level of funding they receive from State every year a disgrace in the light of massive social issues.

I'd hazard a guess that around €30m of €56m in Sports Grants this year went to GAA clubs.

€3m in player grants out as well yearly.

Shamrock Shore

Bomber

Are you an accountant in practice? Just asking, like.

Can you let me know of these CGT breaks available to GAA clubs.

Also please brush up on VAT. The builder keeps the net profit of the stand cost (for example) and pays over the VAT on this net profit to Revenue collected from the GAA. If that's not a contribution to the State's coffers (i.e. a tax) on the GAA then I am not sure what a tax is anymore.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on January 09, 2018, 10:56:38 AM
Bomber

Also please brush up on VAT. The builder keeps the net of the stand cost (for example) and pays over the VAT to Revenue collected from the GAA. If that's not a contribution to the State's coffers (i.e. a tax) on the GAA then I am not sure what a tax is anymore.
Do you not have  more to do than trying  to have a logical discussion with that bucko? ;D ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Shamrock Shore

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on January 09, 2018, 10:56:38 AM
Bomber

Also please brush up on VAT. The builder keeps the net profit of the stand cost (for example) and pays over the VAT on this net profit to Revenue collected from the GAA. If that's not a contribution to the State's coffers (i.e. a tax) on the GAA then I am not sure what a tax is anymore.

I don't think you know what you are trying to say there. The GAA are not registered for VAT, in a lot of cases the people who the GAA hire for services or products are registered for VAT and therefore those suppliers the GAA hire or purchase off will have to pay VAT over. That is not the GAA paying VAT, that is the supplier paying VAT carrying out the course of their business. To repeat for you again, the GAA are not VAT registered, they do not have to pay VAT on any income they receive. Normal businesses do.

Rossfan

FFS will you stop ruining another thread.
Builder charges GAA €1m plus €135k VAT.
GAA gives builder €1,135,000.00.
Builder eventually pay the €135k to Revenue.

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Rossfan on January 09, 2018, 11:35:38 AM

Maybe threads wouldn't be ruined if you had any backbone, as much as you'd like to blame me for that....

Mike Tyson

What way is it going to work? Would it be tax breaks for every member of a county panel? Just the championship panel? A select few players? Minimum of say 2 consecutive years on a panel?

Itchy

Quote from: Mike Tyson on January 09, 2018, 12:49:54 PM
What way is it going to work? Would it be tax breaks for every member of a county panel? Just the championship panel? A select few players? Minimum of say 2 consecutive years on a panel?

Don't think it has been decided. The idea was just floated out there. I expect it will be all county panelist but a modest tax relief of some sort. I wouldnt be in favour of giving it to only the top 10 in a county as each is putting in the same work in theory.

Itchy

Indeed and when you stay in a hotel for a night going to Croke park you pay VAT on the room. If you buy a sandwich in Croke park you pay VAT on that and so on. If the old stadium took 60k and the new one 80k, that 20k more people buying and paying VAT. That is how the investment is justified.

Rossfan

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 09, 2018, 12:07:11 PM

Maybe threads wouldn't be ruined if you had any backbone, as much as you'd like to blame me for that....
???????
Maybe you need a loaf on your head 😀😁😂😃
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

From the Bunker

Quote from: Itchy on January 09, 2018, 01:16:32 PM

Indeed and when you stay in a hotel for a night going to Croke park you pay VAT on the room. If you buy a sandwich in Croke park you pay VAT on that and so on. If the old stadium took 60k and the new one 80k, that 20k more people buying and paying VAT. That is how the investment is justified.

What a load of horse sh1te! Investment or not from the government. Croke Park would have been finished. It might have taken 10 years longer. But it would have got there. Most frequent visitors that I know, know better than to spend money on food in Croke Park. They may do it once. But when they see the rip-off, they are a lot shyer reaching into their pockets on return visits. As for the 20k extra people that fit into the stadium. Their has not been much need for this capacity the last couple of year.