Triathlons

Started by qwerty123, July 24, 2011, 01:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haranguerer

First week of Don Finks plan - trying to fit it in round the tri club sessions, but a lot of it will be training on my own. All HR zone based, which by all accounts is the way to go - I've read a bit about it on here before and saw it sworn by which gives me confidence in it. Zone 2 run last night was 9 min miles though - I'm unsure if that's ok for someone who'd expect to be running round about a 20min 5k (altho prob currently a bit over), or if I should check my zones - although I've had my max hr on a bike, I haven't tested it running, so just added 5 bpm to my max and let my garmin calculate the zones - does that sound loosely accurate? And what is the best way in anyones experience to test running HR zones?

Muck Savage

Quote from: haranguerer on March 09, 2016, 11:26:10 AM
First week of Don Finks plan - trying to fit it in round the tri club sessions, but a lot of it will be training on my own. All HR zone based, which by all accounts is the way to go - I've read a bit about it on here before and saw it sworn by which gives me confidence in it. Zone 2 run last night was 9 min miles though - I'm unsure if that's ok for someone who'd expect to be running round about a 20min 5k (altho prob currently a bit over), or if I should check my zones - although I've had my max hr on a bike, I haven't tested it running, so just added 5 bpm to my max and let my garmin calculate the zones - does that sound loosely accurate? And what is the best way in anyones experience to test running HR zones?

You need to do a 5K time trial running. This will pretty much max out your HR so from there you can work out your zones. I use to run 10K's in around 33mins and tried training with HR zones but never worked for me until I did this. I had been using the old 220 minus my age and ended up trotting along when I was suppose to be at 60%.  Good luck

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Muck Savage on March 09, 2016, 11:50:55 PM

You need to do a 5K time trial running. This will pretty much max out your HR so from there you can work out your zones. I use to run 10K's in around 33mins and tried training with HR zones but never worked for me until I did this. I had been using the old 220 minus my age and ended up trotting along when I was suppose to be at 60%.  Good luck

33 mins for 10K!! Lethal..... Back swimming in the afternoons (lunchtimes) and Christ it takes a while to get the rhythm breathing and timing right!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

haranguerer

Cheers. I'll get that done this weekend.

Interestingly, (or prob just reflecting my relative lack of bike time) I've found that while running (fresh) I'm holding myself back to stay in zone 2, but on the turbo trainer I find it quite an effort on the legs.

Thats one area the tri club really brought me on MR - my swimming has improved a lot

heffo

I use to run 10K's in around 33mins and tried training with HR zones but never worked for me until I did this.

That's serious pace - you must be/were running at a high level with times like that

heffo

Quote from: haranguerer on March 10, 2016, 01:03:54 PM

Interestingly, (or prob just reflecting my relative lack of bike time) I've found that while running (fresh) I'm holding myself back to stay in zone 2, but on the turbo trainer I find it quite an effort on the legs.

Once you start getting a couple of Turbo sessions in during the week along with a long aerobic spin at the weekend, you'll see improvement pretty quick

haranguerer

I've entered Sligo sprint this weekend - it should be good for race day and transition practice. First pool tri too, so unsure what to expect.

Has anyone done it before?

Mayo4Sam

I haven't but I've done a few pool triathlons, hateful things in my opinion, I prefer the open water but then I know lots than are much more comfortable in a pool, so each to their own. Great opportunity to draft for the swim and conserve energy

Any questions?
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

haranguerer

Cheers M4S, I had a few, but I've just received the full briefing and it has answered a lot.

Looking forward to it - its nice that its the first one of the year and focus is on challenge galway so can be relaxed about it. Def want to get an Olympic in too before the half, thinking strongly about Cutra at the minute.

stevo-08

Quote from: haranguerer on April 18, 2016, 09:52:49 AM
I've entered Sligo sprint this weekend - it should be good for race day and transition practice. First pool tri too, so unsure what to expect.

Has anyone done it before?

I did the sligo sprint last year, and will be doing it again this weekend. Really enjoyable event last year, helped by great weather on the day, and not much wind. Not sure what the forecast is for this weekend. It was my first pool tri so wasn't sure what to expect. Found it ok. Have a chat with the other guys in your lane and find out who's best to go 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. This will make it a bit smoother. Also, bring a water bottle into the pool area. There can be a fair bit of waiting around, and there was serious heat in the pool area so you could dehydrate very easily even before you start. The cycle I found quite tough, despite there being little/no wind. There are a few hills, nothing major, but I just found that it was a long grinding cycle. The run was fine - there's a hill at the start which isn't ideal considering that you've just completed a tough cycle, but after that hill it's a nice flat route.

Enjoy...

Mayo4Sam

Cutra is nice. I'd say they'll have wiggle room on the price if u email them and haggle. They offered 50% discount on paddy's day, so you could ask for that?
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

haranguerer

Just checked Stevo and it looks to be showers which would be grand, but windy too, which wouldn't...Did you just wear tri-suit last year?

Good tip M4S. I was on the website and it did look nice - to the extent that I was thinking it was a pity I hadn't seen it when was booking Challenge.

stevo-08

haranguerer, yep I just wore the tri-suit last year from start to finish. will be doing the same this weekend. should be fine.

haranguerer

Anyone do Cutra this weekend? Bit of a balls for the half - swim cancelled due to fog. Be a balls if it was the race you'd been aiming for...

haranguerer

Seems to be a quiet season for gaaboarders...Probably gonna give Top of the Mournes a rattle this weekend, and Titanic next. Anyone else in for them?