Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

I like utds re found principles based on youth academy, honest and sustainability. Sadly other clubs like city and pool are prepared to buy their way to the top. Ruins the game.

thewobbler

Quote from: rrhf on December 07, 2019, 11:15:57 PM
I like utds re found principles based on youth academy, honest and sustainability. Sadly other clubs like city and pool are prepared to buy their way to the top. Ruins the game.
I presume this is WUM and onwards I go.

gawa316

Remind me again who were the highest spenders in the summer and who has spent close to a billion since fergie left?

under the bar

Quote from: gawa316 on December 07, 2019, 11:45:30 PM
Remind me again who were the highest spenders in the summer and who has spent close to a billion since fergie left?

Remind me how many Premier league titles your team have?

J70

"Refound"?

United struck gold with a single group of youth players in the early 90s. Fair fucks to them for it, but it's  hardly been a major foundation of the club outside of that outlying group anymore than any other club. Post class of 92, almost all of their superstars until Rashford have been bought for big money. Same as in the 80s (Whiteside excepted).  Time will tell whether the current players coming through make the grade.

How much are they still paying Alexis Sanchez each week?

David McKeown

Quote from: J70 on December 08, 2019, 04:00:03 AM

"Refound"?

United struck gold with a single group of youth players in the early 90s. Fair f**ks to them for it, but it's  hardly been a major foundation of the club outside of that outlying group anymore than any other club. Post class of 92, almost all of their superstars until Rashford have been bought for big money. Same as in the 80s (Whiteside excepted).  Time will tell whether the current players coming through make the grade.

To be fair Utd have a smattering of home grown talents all the time. Yesterday's squad for example would have included off the top of my head, Rashford, Lingard, Perreria, McTominay, Tunazebe, Williams, Greenwood. In the squad as a whole I'm sure there's more you could add including arguably Pogba.

Isn't there some kind of remarkable stat about Utd haven't included at least one former academy player in every squad for over 40 years. Throughout that time homegrown talents have been a major foundation. They certainly haven't always been the main superstars but they have more than simply made up the numbers.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

trailer

Quote from: laoislad on December 07, 2019, 07:45:36 PM
Quote from: OgraAnDun on December 07, 2019, 07:27:04 PM
Ole out
Get the contract out, put it on the table.
Let him sign it, let him write whatever numbers he wants on it, Ole's at the wheel man, he's doing it, he's doing his thing.
Man Utd are back.

Living in your head rent free.

J70

Quote from: David McKeown on December 08, 2019, 08:14:53 AM

"Refound"?

United struck gold with a single group of youth players in the early 90s. Fair f**ks to them for it, but it's  hardly been a major foundation of the club outside of that outlying group anymore than any other club. Post class of 92, almost all of their superstars until Rashford have been bought for big money. Same as in the 80s (Whiteside excepted).  Time will tell whether the current players coming through make the grade.

To be fair Utd have a smattering of home grown talents all the time. Yesterday's squad for example would have included off the top of my head, Rashford, Lingard, Perreria, McTominay, Tunazebe, Williams, Greenwood. In the squad as a whole I'm sure there's more you could add including arguably Pogba.

Isn't there some kind of remarkable stat about Utd haven't included at least one former academy player in every squad for over 40 years. Throughout that time homegrown talents have been a major foundation. They certainly haven't always been the main superstars but they have more than simply made up the numbers.

Is that not the case with most clubs though? Problem at the bigger clubs is that with the higher standard most of them end up as part of the rotation rather than first choice or leave for lower clubs.

David McKeown

Quote from: J70 on December 08, 2019, 11:26:31 AM

"Refound"?

Is that not the case with most clubs though? Problem at the bigger clubs is that with the higher standard most of them end up as part of the rotation rather than first choice or leave for lower clubs.

I don't think so certainly not to the same degree or as consistently. Certainly looking at the City squad it's not. Liverpool maybe had it to a level but not that same level. Also my earlier post should have said having not haven't.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

J70

Quote from: David McKeown on December 08, 2019, 05:19:51 PM
Quote from: J70 on December 08, 2019, 11:26:31 AM

"Refound"?

I don't think so certainly not to the same degree or as consistently. Certainly looking at the City squad it's not. Liverpool maybe had it to a level but not that same level. Also my earlier post should have said having not haven't.

Well, we'll see how it goes as United look to develop back into an elite team.

I predict a lot of money will be spent. Maguire and Wan Bissaka are just the beginning.

Boycey

They'll spend money, like the rest of the big clubs, but 82 years and 4000 odd games with someone from the youth academy on the matchday squad is a pretty neat record. There were 7 in yesterday's 18 man squad....

magpie seanie

United have 13 points from 5 games against Liverpool, Leicester, City, Chelsea and Spurs. Only 11 from 11 against the rest. Clear to see where the problem lies - breaking down sides who sit in and defend deep. Ole and the lads know what they're doing but it will take time.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 09, 2019, 08:19:28 AM
United have 13 points from 5 games against Liverpool, Leicester, City, Chelsea and Spurs. Only 11 from 11 against the rest. Clear to see where the problem lies - breaking down sides who sit in and defend deep. Ole and the lads know what they're doing but it will take time.

We've clearly missed a player in the so called no 10 position as we've had to do with Pereira who's not good enough. Its not just that though, in 5 of those games where we dropped points we took the lead; There's a lack of experience and game management about the team, I'd like to think as the season continues United will take more points from these sort of games.

They were 2 performances and results I wasn't expecting, its given the board and fans something to cling on too; I just hope Ole is backed in January as that squad isn't fit for purpose as a couple of more injuries will leave United in trouble again.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Maroon Manc on December 09, 2019, 10:51:37 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on December 09, 2019, 08:19:28 AM

We've clearly missed a player in the so called no 10 position as we've had to do with Pereira who's not good enough. Its not just that though, in 5 of those games where we dropped points we took the lead; There's a lack of experience and game management about the team, I'd like to think as the season continues United will take more points from these sort of games.

They were 2 performances and results I wasn't expecting, its given the board and fans something to cling on too; I just hope Ole is backed in January as that squad isn't fit for purpose as a couple of more injuries will leave United in trouble again.

Now that Fred and McTominay are working well in the midfield 2, could Pogba be used in a 10 when he's back allowing him to focus purely on playmaking and potentially unlocking his best position for Utd?