Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

MK

Quite a lot of non runners mentioned here whether by ability or affordability.

Rafa, Howe and Martinez highly unlikely on financial grounds.

Keane, Kennedy and Henry on their c.v. so far.

Yet again there are statements in the press from Celtic old boys(Pat Bonner and John Collins) that Jesse Marsch would be the ideal target to take the club forward.

Main Street

sid waddell

[quote author=MK link=topic=1346.msg2036199#msg2036199 date=1614374420

Yet again there are statements in the press from Celtic old boys(Pat Bonner and John Collins) that Jesse Marsch would be the ideal target to take the club forward.
[/quote]
A job like Celtic could drain the Marsch

tonto1888

Quote from: MK on February 26, 2021, 09:20:20 PM
Quite a lot of non runners mentioned here whether by ability or affordability.

Rafa, Howe and Martinez highly unlikely on financial grounds.

Keane, Kennedy and Henry on their c.v. so far.

Just looked Marsch up.  he's the guy.

sid waddell

The first time Bob Bradley said the word "soccer" after he took over at Swansea, that was the end of him

Main Street

Quote from: Itchy on February 26, 2021, 08:16:25 PM
Quote from: Main Street on February 26, 2021, 07:41:15 PM
Quote from: Itchy on February 26, 2021, 08:38:55 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on February 25, 2021, 10:20:59 PM
Quote from: lenny on February 25, 2021, 10:00:52 PM
Quote from: Itchy on February 25, 2021, 09:40:14 PM
Roy Keane?

I see few pros saying he's the man. You know what, i'd give him a shot.

I would agree with you if the job didn't involve managing people. Keane has a good knowledge of the game but he doesn't seem to like other people and doesn't seem to have any of the skills required to manage people or be a good football manager.

Keane looks to be a good number 2. Good for doing all the sh1te jobs the main manager hates to do, like bollocking players, controlling discipline and doing hateful press conferences.

I think Keane's managerial career has been understated - he did amazing things with Sunderland, got a poor Ireland team to the Euros and out of group stages. And yes had some bad experiences with Ipswich, but then who hasnt?

Compare him, for example, to Mick McCarthy. few weeks ago he was useless old school journey man, sacked after weeks from his role in Cyprus, ran out of Ireland job. Yet now he is the messiah as Cardiff go on a a big push to get into premier league.
The point is managers cant fix everything. A club has to have certain things in place and you can only do so well within the confines of those things. I think both Keane and McCarthy in hindsight were in a poor club in Ipswich that obviously has other problems judging where they are now.

I think Keane would be a great appointment for a big club like Celtic and it would be ideal for him and I think the profile of  the players there (most players have ambition to move on and up from Celtic) means they will buy into him. I think is some ways its very similar to Gerrard at Rangers. That's my opinion and I imagine it will not fit with many others.
Mick wasn't chased out of the Ireland job, the messy contract situation was already set.  If Mick had been hired on a short term one qual campaign with no successor already on a contract, I think his contract would have been extended.

Roy Keane hasn't got a tactical notion on how to set up a team. His punditry (maybe entertaining for some) is an empty vessel, he offers absolutely nothing of substance apart from repeating  words and phrases about players attitudes to the game.

A possible candidate not mentioned is Chris Hughton, considering Forest shed on average 3 managers a year -  he might be available.

Is that Roy Keane or Banty you are describing there?
We have a cute hoor in from Kerry now and he'll soon sort out that Tyrone defensive nonsensense,  so you'll soon know where you can shove those 3 all-stars. :D

Angelo

Interesting to see if and what Kennedy changes today.

There's going to be a big overhaul in the summer for sure.

Elyonoussi, Laxalt and Duffy haven't done enough to make consider the type of investment it would take to sign them permanently. Kenny has been ok so far but it would depend on what Everton want for him.

Christie, Edouard, Ntcham and Ajer are all entering the final year of their contract next season so will all likely be off. I also wouldn't renew Brown.

So that's 7/8 first team players, probably three of them first team starters likely to leave. It should shed over 100k off the weekly wage bill and take in the region of £30-40m in transfer fees so it's a big rebuilding job for the manager.

The likes of Bolingoli, Bayo, Shved and Hendry could potentially return from their loan deals though I would say the latter three are likely to have options exercised to sign permanently for their loan clubs. Bolingoli I think is back at Celtic at the minute after a season ending injury.

If the four are back I do hope the new manager will have a look at them and see what they can contribute.

Think Kilmala could do with a loan spell to get regular first team football, does seem to have certain qualities and has been shamefully shunned by Lennon this season but regular football is what he needs now.

If we cash in on the likes of those players mentioned above I think we need to spend big this summer. I'd like to see the new manager backed, presented with £20-30m on top of whatever we rake in on sales and try and go for CL qualification from the get go, something we should be doing every season - not waiting to see if we qualify for the CL before spending.

Of course we might have a few usual suspects coming on saying Celtic can't afford than kind of an outlay. That's just utterly incorrect though, we are debt free, have a billionaire owner and £20m of reserves sitting in the bank. We look like our wage bill will be slashed considerably with the departures. We can afford that and we can afford a lot more than that. What matters is that it is invested wisely in the right structures and the right personnel.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 24, 2021, 03:16:58 PM

Hibs win their game in hand and its 9 points... Again Celtic's form and if they play Rangers twice that's a loss of 6 points, do they play Hibs in the run in?  Be interesting

Gap out to 15 points now between Celtic and Hibs and a goal difference gap of 29. Hibs have a max of 24 points to play for so they would need to win all their games and hope Celtic just pick up 5 points in their last 7 games.

Think it's certain Celtic has the CL playoff spot booked now.

Kennedy doesn't seem to have any of his own ideas after today's selection.

rodney trotter

https://twitter.com/GuillemBalague

Well, wouldn't that be interesting!
@DomeTorrent would be in my eyes a very exciting move. Number two to Pep at Bayern and City, and a great believer in possession based football and in the need to give spectacle to fans

Angelo

Quote from: rodney trotter on February 28, 2021, 04:52:27 PM
https://twitter.com/GuillemBalague

Well, wouldn't that be interesting!
@DomeTorrent would be in my eyes a very exciting move. Number two to Pep at Bayern and City, and a great believer in possession based football and in the need to give spectacle to fans

That kind of appointment represents a huge gamble.

I'd prefer go for a more established manager than a complete novice.

The likes of Maresca and Torrent could turn out to be great managers but they are completely untested and to me it strikes of the cheap option. They will be eager for their opportunity and they're not going to cost a whole lot to release from their contract or demands in terms of their salary than you'd pay for an established manager.

Angelo

Had to google Torrent, he is actually currently over Flamengo in Brazil.

Was at New York City before.

Doesn't really seem to have done anything remarkable at either club.

JimStynes

That would be a cheap option and a total lack of ambition if it turns out  to be true. Maybe the board think that's all Celtic are capable of attracting. they're only good enough for former assistant to a good manger. Crap

Angelo

Quote from: JimStynes on February 28, 2021, 06:18:34 PM
That would be a cheap option and a total lack of ambition if it turns out  to be true. Maybe the board think that's all Celtic are capable of attracting. they're only good enough for former assistant to a good manger. Crap

It's not what the board think they are capable of attracting. It's just a lack of ambition and the biscuit tin mentality coming home to roost.

JimStynes

Quote from: Angelo on February 28, 2021, 06:19:58 PM

It's not what the board think they are capable of attracting. It's just a lack of ambition and the biscuit tin mentality coming home to roost.

Who's in charge of making this appointment? Sure the new man in place of Lawell  has a say in this.

Angelo

Quote from: JimStynes on February 28, 2021, 06:21:59 PM
Quote from: Angelo on February 28, 2021, 06:19:58 PM

Who's in charge of making this appointment? Sure the new man in place of Lawell  has a say in this.

Doesn't officially start until July.

We are also said to be looking at appointing a Director of Football so maybe that will come first. It's a bit of a shambles of an operation. Celtic will start their qualifying campaign for the CL on the 20th July.