Schools Hurling

Started by redsetanta, February 24, 2015, 06:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keyser Söze

Some change from 10/15/20 years ago. Is Johnny Casey still teaching in Rathdowney?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Mad Mentor

Johnny Casey is still teaching although I think this may be his last year. Sean Conroy has taken on the mantle of managing the hurling teams. Fergal's has always punched above it's weight but the growth of community schools has made it harder to compete. Fergal's has about 300 pupils while Mountrath has over 700. Heywood and Johnstown also encroach on what would once have been Fergal's territory.  We hope our Junior team can progress in the Leinster C competition. Having won the North section we now face the South Leinster winners.

redsetanta

Is it the case that Mountrath CS has grown considerably in recent years as they weren't on the radar as such in the last few years or is it that they are benefitting more from the likes of the Setanta programme.

Heywood have also been around for years albeit as the Salesian college so I would assume that they have always competed with St Fergals fro students. I know the ethos has changed in recent years alright but Fergals has a tradition and is in hurling country so to speak so what has been the big change. Are kids that previously would have gone to Fergals now going to the likes of Mountrath?

The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Keyser Söze

Quote from: redsetanta on December 13, 2016, 12:20:28 PM
Is it the case that Mountrath CS has grown considerably in recent years as they weren't on the radar as such in the last few years or is it that they are benefitting more from the likes of the Setanta programme.

Heywood have also been around for years albeit as the Salesian college so I would assume that they have always competed with St Fergals fro students. I know the ethos has changed in recent years alright but Fergals has a tradition and is in hurling country so to speak so what has been the big change. Are kids that previously would have gone to Fergals now going to the likes of Mountrath?

Ye they definitely are. You would have had very few from, for example, Borris Kilcotton attending school in Mountrath 10-15 years ago.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Don Draper on November 22, 2016, 09:16:52 PM
It's not about an insular approach, it's about appointing a teacher based on his ability to teach not because he's a hurler who won an auld all Ireland. As pointed out there's plenty in there who can do that as it is, typical Laois, always dazzled by the shiny trinkets.

Pat Aherne didn't have too many baubles and did a great job for a long number of years because he had a passion for it. Same with Mick Scully.

Is that the former referee from Carlow?
Did he work in Portlaoise CBS?

Don Draper

Quote from: Keyser Söze on December 29, 2016, 07:19:15 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on November 22, 2016, 09:16:52 PM
It's not about an insular approach, it's about appointing a teacher based on his ability to teach not because he's a hurler who won an auld all Ireland. As pointed out there's plenty in there who can do that as it is, typical Laois, always dazzled by the shiny trinkets.

Pat Aherne didn't have too many baubles and did a great job for a long number of years because he had a passion for it. Same with Mick Scully.

Is that the former referee from Carlow?
Did he work in Portlaoise CBS?
Yes

redsetanta

Top Oil PP Leinster Schools Senior A Hurling
Full Time Laois Schools: 3-17(26)
Meath Schools: 0-15(15)
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

clonadmad

Quote from: redsetanta on January 07, 2017, 03:33:50 PM
Top Oil PP Leinster Schools Senior A Hurling
Full Time Laois Schools: 3-17(26)
Meath Schools: 0-15(15)

Good result

They go into the last 4 in the combined schools
Group,the winners of this group plays Kilkenny CBS in the Leinster quarter final.

redsetanta

Dublin South next. Anyone put up the club spread for the players today.

redsetanta

Saw that thanks but no clubs listed.

redsetanta

I see where Mountrath CS were well beaten by Johnstown last week. They mustn't have the talent of the previous couple of years.

redsetanta

If anyone is interested in seeing the next group of young hurlers in action there is post primary Juv hurling A league game between Laois schools and St Kierans in the Laois GAA training centre on Friday at 11.30am.

Zooming around

IT Carlow have beaten UL 4-16 to 0-23 in the Fitzgibbon Cup Quarter Final. H'on Laois.

redsetanta

Laois Colleges Combined Juvenile side drew 2-12 to 3-9 against St Peters Wexford in Wexford today. Encouraging signs coming from that team.
I see where the minor hurlers play Dublin in Heywood tomorrow in the minor hurling league.