NFL Division 1 2024

Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

square_ball

straightred

Quote from: naka on March 06, 2023, 10:24:52 AM
Still all to play for
Great league so far
Armagh need to get at least a point from the Galway game as would hate to go to Omagh needing a result .

14 homes wins, 3 aways and 3 draws in Div 1. Don't remember home advantage ever being to important

OrchardOrange

While there's no team I like to see getting a kicking more than Throne, the stuff Kerry got away with yesterday was ridiculous, especially the deliberate clothes-line tackle that was a straight red all day long. This purist football myth means Kerry players are practically immune from getting sent off.  When the game turns against them every Kerry player becomes a dirty hoor and gets away with it. Where were the cards for contributing to a melee or is that only for Ulster teams?

tyrone08

Quote from: OrchardOrange on March 06, 2023, 12:47:43 PM
While there's no team I like to see getting a kicking more than Throne, the stuff Kerry got away with yesterday was ridiculous, especially the deliberate clothes-line tackle that was a straight red all day long. This purist football myth means Kerry players are practically immune from getting sent off.  When the game turns against them every Kerry player becomes a dirty hoor and gets away with it. Where were the cards for contributing to a melee or is that only for Ulster teams?

Pretty sure the feeling is mutual for tyrone fans lol. All joking aside there was a serious amount of neck high challenges yesterday which could have had bad consequences. The clothesline should have been a straight red.

All the talk of Clifford is way over the top. He is another one with a nasty streak but often gets away with it as refs are in awe of him.

APM

Quote from: straightred on March 06, 2023, 12:39:42 PM
Quote from: naka on March 06, 2023, 10:24:52 AM
Still all to play for
Great league so far
Armagh need to get at least a point from the Galway game as would hate to go to Omagh needing a result .

14 homes wins, 3 aways and 3 draws in Div 1. Don't remember home advantage ever being to important

Don't want to be too negative from an Armagh perspective, but in the last 10 league meetings between Armagh & Galway, going back to 1999, Armagh have won only three times, Galway have won 5 and there were 2 draws. 

Throw in 4 qualifier defeats in the same period and our record is pretty crap. 

If this game was in Salthill, I wouldn't give us a chance.  Home advantage means a lot - will be a fascinating game given the way things ended after normal time and extra time the last time we met.

Armagh18

Quote from: tyrone08 on March 06, 2023, 01:02:57 PM

Pretty sure the feeling is mutual for tyrone fans lol. All joking aside there was a serious amount of neck high challenges yesterday which could have had bad consequences. The clothesline should have been a straight red.

All the talk of Clifford is way over the top. He is another one with a nasty streak but often gets away with it as refs are in awe of him.
not too many top players without a bit of dirt in them. Clifford gets a serious amount of abuse though every week which is to be expected so can't really complain if he gives abit back.

tyrone08

Quote from: Armagh18 on March 06, 2023, 01:05:25 PM

not too many top players without a bit of dirt in them. Clifford gets a serious amount of abuse though every week which is to be expected so can't really complain if he gives abit back.

I don't have a problem with it, issue is when everyone thinks he is always the victim which is not the case. Commentators fawn over every pass while ignoring the other stuff he gets up to.

J70

Quote from: God14 on March 06, 2023, 12:31:11 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 06, 2023, 12:22:42 PM
I think it's quite a good league for Galway in building on last year and giving the half forwards the chance to develop, bring a few players on, develop momentum in the absence of the full forward line and prepare for the championship. The relegation in 2021 was really an anomaly because Galway were a Division 1 team in Division 2 last year. I don't know when the last time a D2 team reached the all Ireland final was.

Armagh 2002?

Donegal reached the final in 2014 after being promoted earlier in the year.

HokeyPokey

Quote from: tyrone08 on March 06, 2023, 01:14:49 PM

I don't have a problem with it, issue is when everyone thinks he is always the victim which is not the case. Commentators fawn over every pass while ignoring the other stuff he gets up to.

While no doubt he is a special, special talent, some of the commentary is like he is the second coming and I find it a bit tiring, along with the whole Dubs - Kerry obsession (saying a decent match between them last year was the best game every etc). He was excellent going forward against Tyrone in 2021, but it was completely overlooked that mistakes by him directly led to Tyrone scoring two goals

bennydorano

The chances that it's Clifford who has STARTED a hauling & pulling match with a corner back are close to zero tho. I've yet to see him doing something spiteful, it's always retaliatory tbh. Rian O'Neill has a nasty streak tho, he'd snout first.

tyrone08

Quote from: bennydorano on March 06, 2023, 02:27:28 PM

The chances that it's Clifford who has STARTED a hauling & pulling match with a corner back are close to zero tho. I've yet to see him doing something spiteful, it's always retaliatory tbh. Rian O'Neill has a nasty streak tho, he'd snout first.

Forwards aren't innocent. They have as much to gain in getting to a defender as the defender has of getting to a forward. I hate all the pushing and shoving which goes on in every game but don't think it will ever change.

screenexile

Same with Canavan... he got all the plaudits but people forget he was nasty when he wanted to be and was well able to grab an arm and fall down to win a free when it suited him.

clarshack

Fossa midfielder should have been red carded for a deliberate clothes-line tackle in the Junior final also and a Harps player had the jersey completely ripped off him like McKernan had yesterday.

seafoid

Quote from: J70 on March 06, 2023, 01:15:31 PM
Quote from: God14 on March 06, 2023, 12:31:11 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 06, 2023, 12:22:42 PM
I think it's quite a good league for Galway in building on last year and giving the half forwards the chance to develop, bring a few players on, develop momentum in the absence of the full forward line and prepare for the championship. The relegation in 2021 was really an anomaly because Galway were a Division 1 team in Division 2 last year. I don't know when the last time a D2 team reached the all Ireland final was.

Armagh 2002?

Donegal reached the final in 2014 after being promoted earlier in the year.
GRMA. 2014 really was the one that got away

joemamas

Quote from: tyrone08 on March 06, 2023, 02:37:26 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on March 06, 2023, 02:27:28 PM

Forwards aren't innocent. They have as much to gain in getting to a defender as the defender has of getting to a forward. I hate all the pushing and shoving which goes on in every game but don't think it will ever change.

Watched the game back last night, to a man, every time  a Kerry player (most often a forward or a midfielder) committed a blatant foul to stop a Tyrone attack, the hands go out to the Referee
as to (What did I do, too many of them at it for it not to be a coaching strategy.) so annoying to watch, when you commit a foul, move on.