NFL Division 1 2024

Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

Quote from: twohands!!! on January 29, 2023, 12:48:24 PM
Quote from: APM on January 29, 2023, 12:31:18 PM
I find the Rafferty experiment  fascinating.  People compare it with Morgan and Beggan.  But it's different because Rafferty is a genuine county forward. 

I thought he done rightly last night, although he made three mistakes:
- Carried the ball into the tackle high up the pitch, that led to McCambridge's yellow and broke the 10 minutes of momentum we had after half time. It was the only time he was turned over, but thought maybe he got carried away with Armagh's dominance and decided to take a risk.  Hopefully he will learn from that. 
- One bad kickout. It was the only really bad one though and that wasn't bad going in that type of game.  He (and the Armagh half-back line / midfielders) coped better with Monaghan pushing up on our kickouts, than Began did when Armagh pushed up early in the second half. 
- The foul for the penalty which was a bit of a mad forwards tackle - would need to learn from it too. Wonder who they have as a goalkeeping coach. 

On the flipside, some of his forward play was excellent. He played like a centre half forward, passing some very accurate ball into the full forwards and used the ball very intelligently. Great point from play which must be crushing for the opposition. 

I think his shot stopping and positioning is subpar for an intercounty goalie. I'm not convinced over a season he will work out as an overall net positive or a negative but I'd agree it interesting to see happen.
For the amount of shots a keeper faces on average I'd be more than willing to accept that trade off with the distance he offers on kickouts and what he obviously offers as the extra man. He's as good a forward as there is around too!

Walter Cronc

Is this Tyrone game on anywhere?

Jim Bob

Armagh18

Surely TG4 can do something about the rain on the camera ffs.

J70

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 29, 2023, 02:03:32 PM

In this day and age.

It's laughable.

Blowitupref

Roscommon 0-8 Tyrone 0-5 half time.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

seafoid

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on January 29, 2023, 11:27:22 AM
Quote from: seafoid on January 29, 2023, 10:21:56 AM
Forwards have been Mayo's Aughrim for a  long time.
No idea why.
This is overstated a bit. Cillian O'Connor has put up historical scoring returns, I'd take Ryan O'Donoghue in Galway in the morning, albeit he froze up with the peno in 2021.
It's lads like Aidan O'Shea who can't score on the big day that killed them and we saw that ourselves in 2022, Galway only needed one other forward to fire a reasonable total last July outside of Walsh to win and we didn't have it either, and this iteration of Galway mightn't get another shot or as good a chance again. Kerry had a plan to stop Comer and that gave more scope for the rest but Finnerty, Tierney and Kelly had a blank return, Walsh obviously took his man to the cleaners.

Galway have a lot to work on as I thought Mayo were on top for good portions of that game, we had plenty of the first 15 out, more than Mayo I'd say. Rossies next week at home is obviously a must win to keep on track.
I had a look at the last 10 all Ireland finals featuring Mayo . In most of them there was the same pattern :

Low scoring games except 04 and 06 . Mayo didn't often get to 20 points
No marquee forward a la Murphy or Comer. No 2 or 3 marquee forwards.
One decent  freetaker, one who scores max 6 points and the rest scoring 1 or 2 points.
No consistency in the top forward over say 3 finals .
Fantastic backs and midfields.
Lee Keegan

The forwards have been the problem.

96 draw Maurice Sheridan 0–4, Ray Dempsey 1–0, James Horan 0–3, Colm McManamon 0–1, P. J. Loftus 0–1
96 replay Maurice Sheridan 0–5, James Horan 0–5, P. J. Loftus 1–0, John Casey 0–1
97 scored 1-7
04 scored 2-9
06 3-5 K O'Neill 2-0, P Harte 1-0, C Mortimer 0-3, B J Padden, C McDonald 0-1 each
12 0-13 K. McLoughlin (0–02, 1 free)C. O'Connor (0–05, 5 frees) M. Conroy (0–01)E. Varley (0–02, 1 free)R. Feeney (0–01) L. Keegan (0–01) J. Gibbons (0–01)
13 1-14  L Keegan (0-2), S O'Shea (0-1), K Higgins (0-1), C O'Connor (0-8, 0-8f), A Moran (1-2)
16 draw 0-15  Cillian O'Connor (0–7) Donal Vaughan 0-2 Alan Moran 0–2 Patrick Durcan 0-1Tom Parsons 0-1 Alan Dillon 0-1Jason Doherty 0–1
16 replay 1-14 Cillian O'Connor 0–9 Lee Keegan 1–0 Patrick Durcan 0–2 Andy Moran 0-1Diarmuid O'Connor 0-1
Kevin McLoughlin 0–1
17 1-16
Cillian O'Connor 0–7 (0-4f) Lee Keegan 1–0 Andy Moran 0–3 Kevin McLoughlin 0–2Jason Doherty 0–2 Donal Vaughan 0–1 Colm Boyle 0–1
20 0-15  C O'Connor 9 (5fs, 2ms); R O'Donoghue 2; O Mullen 1, C Loftus 1, S Coen 1 (m), D Coen 1.

21 0-15  Ryan O'Donoghue 0–8 (0-7f), Tommy Conroy 0–2, Robbie Hennelly (0-1f), Lee Keegan, Patrick Durcan, Stephen Coen, Kevin McLoughlin 0–1 each

Armagh18

Armagh18

Armagh, Monaghan and now Donegal all conceding silly avoidable goals!

HiMucker

Quote from: J70 on January 29, 2023, 02:04:11 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on January 29, 2023, 02:03:32 PM

In this day and age.

It's laughable.
I was saying the same last year, and was told its to do with the set ups at some of the older grounds. That's not just as easily fixed as it seems and needs considerable investment at those grounds. Just seems like you could wipe the lense with a cloth lol, but was told its not that simple

J70

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 29, 2023, 02:18:32 PM

Donegal players are constantly getting the ball stripped, cleanly, out of their hands when trying to carry it around Kerry players.

Just gave up 1-1 in the last couple of minutes alone.

Edit: make that 1-2

yellowcard

Decent game so far with Kerry and Donegal, some good scores but McCole made a terrible blunder to gift Kerry a goal. Roche looks another find for Kerry at full forward.

Armagh18

Quote from: J70 on January 29, 2023, 02:21:47 PM

Donegal players are constantly getting the ball stripped, cleanly, out of their hands when trying to carry it around Kerry players.

Only January and all but Donegal not great considering they're at home and the players Kerry are missing!

J70

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 29, 2023, 02:29:11 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 29, 2023, 02:21:47 PM

Only January and all but Donegal not great considering they're at home and the players Kerry are missing!

Donegal are missing a rake of players too, but we should be putting up a better show than this.

Kerry look physically miles ahead of us.

Every tackle/encounter they're coming out on top.