Division 2 2024

Started by Captain Scarlet, January 16, 2023, 02:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

This is a fabulous line

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/01/29/colm-orourke-off-to-winning-start-in-league-as-meath-rally-to-catch-cork-in-final-quarter/
On a pet day, and on a fast pitch, two teams who could amount to anything or nothing produced a heart-warming match, full of splendid scores and permissive defending.

tbrick18

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on January 29, 2023, 06:52:19 PM
3rd Meath goal should been disallowed, Lad took nearly 10 steps if not more.

Saw this on the highlights. How that one was missed I don't know. Must have had 10 steps at least, didnt even look close.
Whilst Cork v Meath looked like a good game, both defences were wide open. Won't get away with that playing Dublin/Kildare/Derry(hopefully).
But both seem to have improved a lot over the winter to be fair.
Some good point scoring from both sides.

I know we've only had one weekend of football, but based on form at the minute, Limerick favourites to go back down.
Dublin/Kildare favourites to go up.
Derry totally untested so couldn't comment on them, other than to say they should have won by a lot more than they did.
Louth should be a sterner test than Limerick were, away from home too. Will be interesting.

Ulster Frank

Jack Robinson a fine forward for Kildare.  Think Kildare should  beat Derry and Cork handy enough. 

seafoid

Meath look better. If you just take 2 matches, Meath, Cork, Dublin and the Flourbags would expect to be playing for Sam.
The others are Derry, Clare, Louth and Limerick. Derry definitely would expect to be in the mix.

It's only 16 spots and Westmeath and one of Sligo/Leitrim are already in
It's going to be very complicated.
Provincial draws are so random as well.

Armagh18

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 29, 2023, 07:53:05 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on January 29, 2023, 06:52:19 PM
3rd Meath goal should been disallowed, Lad took nearly 10 steps if not more.

That's one for the CCCC, should they forfeit fine or replay the game?  ;D I'm only joking! Too many steps becoming more and more an issue, I'm generally lenient depending on scenario tbf, the piss take extra turn before hopping or toe tap I'll blow.

I'm noticing the elongated hop in the game now, not sure how to describe that but they look as if they are going to bounce the ball but it takes 'ages' but the motion is there? Does that make sense?
aye i remember that elongated hop being talked about, either Kilkenny or Fenton was doing it for the Dubs, they take 3/4 steps then start raising their hand with ball in it and bounce ball, by which time they've taken another 3 or 4 steps

Captain Scarlet

That has been around a long time. Alan Brogan was a great man for it, and even now in Kildare Dan Flynn must get around 12 steps out of some of his big bounces in full flow.
I'm not against it as in all honesty it presents the ball to defenders if they get near it.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

thejuice

If we can follow that game up with a win against Clare at home that'll be a good boost going away to Derry. If we got a point from the Derry game I'd be happy enough. Louth at home you'd like to think would be a win but no guarantees.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

tbrick18

Quote from: thejuice on January 31, 2023, 11:38:35 AM
If we can follow that game up with a win against Clare at home that'll be a good boost going away to Derry. If we got a point from the Derry game I'd be happy enough. Louth at home you'd like to think would be a win but no guarantees.

Div2 looks like it is going to be very tight.
Clare just got over the line in the last 10 mins against Louth so not much between them and Clare are hard to beat.
Kildare are looking strong, Meath and Cork have improved, Derry with high hopes, and Dublin probably favourites but I feel are also beatable.
Limerick, based on one game, look like they are going straight back down.

Derry will absolutely want to make sure of wins against Louth and Clare, but I'm sure both will be targeting Derry as wins too.
For all the other games it could be toss of a coin and there could be a few draws in this division, however, until Meath/Cork come up against one of Dublin/Kildare/Derry we won't really know what they are like. Their defences looked really open at the weekend, but their attacking play was impressive. How effective that attack can be against teams that are better defensively remains to be seen.

It's brilliant to have the football back though.

thejuice

Funny the bit of excitement around Meath all of a sudden even though we beat Cork by 8 points last year. Having said that we were brutal in the games before that. We beat Clare in the league and lost the championship game. We looked dead against Clare in the championship. No fight at all. Hopefully we'll start like we finished against cork.

Costello and Walsh were at the centre of things last night for DCU. Hopefully they're healthy for Sunday.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Wildweasel74

Derry have improved alot from last year, to the point I fancy a tight game at home with Dublin, given our record in Newbridge is not good, I expect Kildare to beat us there. The rest, I can't see them beating Derry. Still think there a few better players in the county but likely can't get to the fitness level or Gallagher wouldn't recall them after leaving panel in previous yrs.

tbrick18

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on February 01, 2023, 02:49:52 PM
Derry have improved alot from last year, to the point I fancy a tight game at home with Dublin, given our record in Newbridge is not good, I expect Kildare to beat us there. The rest, I can't them beating Derry. Still think there a few better players in the county but likely can't get to the fitness level or Gallagher wouldn't recall them after leaving panel in previous yrs.

It's hard to tell if we've improved as we can only base that on Mckenna cup (Fermanagh, Down, and Tyrone) then a game against Limerick.
With Tyrone not looking the best, it's difficult to guage where we are.
We haven't played well in some games but still got a result, which is good. But you have to take into account the level teams we've been playing are at too.

Captain Scarlet

Dublin were very rusty but we didn't give them much so you'd imagine they will kick on. Plus there are so many big names to come back.
Kildare v Cork will give us a good gauge of where we are at, but Kevin Feely and Ben McCormack both got decent minutes v the Dubs and they are big players. Feely ruptured his Achilles in August so his recovery is unbelievable. I had him written off.

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Ulster Frank

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on February 02, 2023, 04:29:34 PM
Dublin were very rusty but we didn't give them much so you'd imagine they will kick on. Plus there are so many big names to come back.
Kildare v Cork will give us a good gauge of where we are at, but Kevin Feely and Ben McCormack both got decent minutes v the Dubs and they are big players. Feely ruptured his Achilles in August so his recovery is unbelievable. I had him written off.

Kildare definitely looked the fitter team. Must be ahead of Dubs in training schedules.

thejuice

Meath team for Clare game. Costello rested this week after seigerson game while Walsh stays in the starting 15. Great chance for Moriarty to shine at this level.

Harry Hogan (Longwood)

Adam O'Neill (Wolfe Tones)
Michael Flood (St. Brigid's)
Cathal Hickey (Seneschalstown)

Eoin Harkin (Dunsany)
Donal Keogan (Capt) (Rathkenny)
Daniel O'Neill (Wolfe Tones)

Ronan Jones (St. Peter's Dunboyne)
Daithí McGowan (Ratoath)

Cillian O'Sullivan (Moynalvey)
Jason Scully (Oldcastle)
Darragh Campion (Skryne)

Jordan Morris (Nobber)
Diarmuid Moriarty (Curraha)
Shane Walsh (Na Fianna)

Sean Brennan (Dunderry)
James O'Hare (Rathkenny)
Harry O'Higgins (Drumbaragh Emmets)
Shane Crosby (Duleek-Bellewstown)
Robin Clarke (Duleek-Belllewstown)
Brían Conlon (Simonstown Gaels)
Shane McEntee (St. Peter's Dunboyne)
Jack O'Connor (Curraha)
Donal Lenihan (St. Peter's Dunboyne)
Thomas O'Reilly (Wolfe Tones)
Aaron Lynch (Trim)

Wildweasel74

That Louth  game in Ardee tomorrow, is that the pitch at the end of the town St Mary's? Doesn't seem to be much parking around it. Plus weren't best place in town for drink before the game, got to keep the passengers happy!