Derry School/College Thread

Started by robertemmet, October 12, 2010, 03:25:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robertemmet

Are St Mary's Magherafelt or Maghera likely to challenge for the MacRory Cup?

What about the various Vocational Schools competitions?

Tyrone schools have had the monopoly of it recently, can the Derry schools challenge?

In the Mageean I see Maghera are through to the semis?

However there are very little rannafast results on the Ulster Colleges site? Are Pius, Maghera, St mary's going to feature in the knock out sections.  What about St Columb's Derry in the B?

robertemmet

from ulster colleges website

BT MacNamee Cup semi-final
Friday :
Ballymena, 1.45pm : St Patrick's Maghera v St Mary's Belfast.

St Mary's win over previously unbeaten Ballycastle in Monday evening's delayed league game has brought them face-to-face with St Patrick's Maghera in the semi-final.
When the pair met in the league section last month, Maghera prevailed on a 5-6 to 2-8 score-line making them favourites for this tie.
Shay Downey, a son of All-Ireland football medallist Seamus, has been a key player for Maghera this season.  His father of course collected a plethora of Colleges' medals in both codes while a student in the same school.
Dungiven's Pádraig McNicholl, along with Slaughtneil pair Shane McGuigan and Brian Ó Caiside, is also providing leadership in a side that will be hard to beat.
Antrim footballer Paddy Cunningham is in charge of the St Mary's side that shocked unbeaten Ballycastle on Monday and he feels that his charges are now ready to reverse the league defeat.
Up front Shay Shannon and John Darragh have been in good scoring form, while Nathan Gibson and Christopher Gallagher are solid at the back.

BT Mageean Cup semi-final
Thursday,
4pm in Glengormley : St Patrick's Maghera v St Patrick's Downpatrick
The winner should come from the other semi, but that perhaps is doing a disservice to the other semi-finalists particularly as St Patrick's Maghera beat St Mary's in their league encounter at the end of September.
Maghera look strong down the centre with Christopher Convery (younger brother of county senior Ruairi) and captain Karl McKaigue in defence. At midfield there is Brian og McGilligan and up front Michael Warnock and Shane Farren.
It would be a bit of a shock if they fell to a Downpatrick side appearing in their first ever semi-final.
Ballygalget forward Danny Toner has quickly put the disappointment of losing Sunday's Ulster club semi-final behind him and his 1-6 tally did a lot to bring his team through a tight quarter-final  in Ballycran on Tuesday.
Matthew Conlon, Gareth O'Neill, Michael McKenna and Ruairi Sharvin provide good support, but they face an uphill task against the Derry school.

robertemmet

From ulster college site. with the club season over (apart from Ulster club) most iof the attention turns to schools GAA.  Anyone out there got any information on vocational schools etc.

Cracking semi-finals in Mageean
Thu 14th Oct 2010

BT Mageean Cup semi-finals :

St Patrick's Maghera 2-11 St Patrick's Downpatrick 2-9

St Mary's Belfast 2-11 Cross & Passion Ballycastle 2-9

There were identical score-lines from yesterday's two enthralling BT Mageean Cup semi-finals that delivered a Maghera v St Mary's final for the first time in 6 seasons.

The big game in Ballymena witnessed a tremendous second half from St Mary's, coming from 2-5 to 1-5 down at the break and playing the whole of the second half with 14 players.

Captain Eamon Quinn was red-carded 2 minutes from half-time and Ballycastle went 5 up a few minutes into the second half with points from Ciaran Clarke and Niall Murray.

However the Belfast boys rose to the challenge with Jude Savage's two points followed by a Michael Lyons goal after 39 minutes.

St Mary's then pushed on with points from Michael Bradley, Declan McGreevy, Conor Johnston and Daniel McKiernan to claim a deserved victory.

Ballycastle had got a great start with goals from Clarke and Sean Delargy putting them into 2-1 to 0-2 lead.  McKiernan though responded with a goal and the game was closely fought for the rest of the opening half.

Meanwhile in the second semi-final, first time semi-finalists St Patrick's Downpatrick pushed their Maghera namesakes close before going out on a 2-11 to 2-9 scoreline.

Downpatrick edged the early exchanges and led by 1-4 to 0-3 at the end of the first quarter, the goal coming from the lively Eoghan Sands.

Tiarnan McCloskey fired in a Maghera goal and they took the lead with two frees from Shane Farren who stacked up 1-5 before half-time, his goal coming 4 minutes from the break, followed quickly by a point.

It was point for point over the next 22 minutes before the key moment in the game.  Danny Toner's penalty was brilliantly stopped by James O'Mullan and Maghera broke for sub Brendan Rogers to point and then add another soon after.

Toner did shoot a goal from a 20 metre free 3 minutes from the end and Downpatrick pushed hard for a winner, but Maghera, with Chris Convery, Brian og McGilligan and Karl McKaigue standing up to the task, survived to make their first decider in 4 seasons.

St Mary's : Daniel McKiernan 1-3, Michael Lyons 1-0, Jude Savage 0-4, Ciaran Johnston, Michael Bradley, Declan McGreevy and Conor Johnston 0-1 each.

Cross & Passion : Ciaran Clarke 1-4, Sean Delargy 1-0, Sean McAfee, Conor Christie, James Black, Niall Murray and Paul McErlean 0-1 each.

St Patrick's Maghera : Shane Farren 1-8, Tiarnan McCloskey 1-0, Brendan Rogers 0-2, Gerald Bradley 0-1.

St Patrick's Downpatrick : Danny Toner 1-5, Eoghan Sands 1-1, Ruairi Sharvin 0-1, Conal Fitzsimons 0-1, Matthew Conlon 0-1.

Submitted by: Seamus McAleenan

robertemmet

Maghera won Mageean and McNamee hurling finals tonight.

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

B Bap

The St. Pats rannafast team are in the semi final and St Marys are out

tree tops

St. Colemans beat St. Pat's by a point in their opening league game.
Terrible conditions this morning but one thing I'd say - the Kilrea boys must have been eating some praties over the summer - big Denver spent the whole game gasping for air and I'm 44 and 16 stone and I'd beat Benny to any 50/50 ball.

I know that he's injured but seriously?  ???

lynchbhoy

Quote from: tree tops on October 29, 2010, 02:47:19 PM
Terrible conditions this morning but one thing I'd say - the Kilrea boys must have been eating some praties over the summer - big Denver spent the whole game gasping for air and I'm 44 and 16 stone and I'd beat Benny to any 50/50 ball.

was your lad playing for Maghera in the rannafast?

tree tops

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 02, 2010, 02:00:20 PM
Quote from: tree tops on October 29, 2010, 02:47:19 PM

was your lad playing for Maghera in the rannafast?

Na - I don't have anyone on the Rannafast.

I'm involved with our underage football and there are four minors from Dungiven on the MacRory.  Was nearby with work so called in to watch a bit.

They weren't that far away on the day - not much between the two sides but I stand over my concerns about the two players above.

tonesfirstandlast

Does Maghera and Magherafelt ever win any McCrory cup games nowadays?

Aerlik

Great to see St.Pats back on the Mageean winners' list. ;D
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

saffron sam2

Settle a bet for me here boys.

How many of the Maghera team are blow-ins, i.e. didn't start their second level education at St. Pat's?

I could be a score the richer.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

tree tops

Quote from: saffron sam2 on November 08, 2010, 08:55:39 AM
Settle a bet for me here boys.

How many of the Maghera team are blow-ins, i.e. didn't start their second level education at St. Pat's?I could be a score the richer.
probably only a player or coach could give you the definitive list but here's a few I know who are def. blow in's:
Tiarnan Rafferty, Benny Quigg, Denver Johnstone, The Keeper (?) and corner back (I think both County Antrim maybe one Dunloy, one Cargin),

Just thinking of the boys who were there from first year might be easier:
Karl McKague, Marty McCloskey, Brian Og McGilligan, Martin Burke, Ciaron Young,  Jack Kielt, Emmett Bradley, Ruairi Bradley, Sean McNicholl, Shane Farren

Not sure about the squad though that's a few I can think of for now...............

robertemmet

Maghera into Rannafast final v Abbey.

THey beat Dungannon after extra time in semi

Nappertandie

Quote from: robertemmet on November 09, 2010, 10:34:47 PM
Maghera into Rannafast final v Abbey.

THey beat Dungannon after extra time in semi
Any chance of naming the team Robert or key players and clubs??