Armagh v Galway AIQF

Started by tonto1888, June 13, 2022, 03:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manning18

While I completely agree with the above that we need to move on from the TK stuff as he's had his punishment now (and it's no Galway people here who are calling for his head), the idea that comer was the instigator is wrong and needs to stop.

Morgan, somewhat understandably in the joys of utter celebration, shouldered comer in the back and started mouthing a bit. Comer, who doesn't shy away from much to be fair, shoved back and then comer was surrounded by a few Armagh and then everyone started piling over. That's what happened and saying otherwise is starting a wrongful discussion about a player who still has to go perform in 2 weeks

GAABoardMod5

Thread close to being locked.

There will be no further discussion on mental health issues on this thread.

Removed a few posts that were very ill-advised to say the least.

seafoid

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on June 28, 2022, 04:29:52 PM
Quote from: APM on June 28, 2022, 03:50:26 PM
3. The row - This suited Galway and was the last thing we needed going in after recovering from a 6 point deficit.  Galway should have been going in deflated, but instead I'll bet they were pumped by the time the fighting was over.  We have a tendancy to get involved in these pointless rows even though they are not in our interest.  The one in Donegal in the NFL was completely stupid given the Championship match around the corner.  Same on Sunday.  At some stage, management and co. board have to take responsibility for this.  It will be easy now for other teams to target Armagh given this developing reputation. 

100% this. Think I even read a comment from a Galway player after the game stating that they felt the row helped them regain a bit of focus.

Armagh didn't benefit from participating in any row this year. That has to be recognised by the group going forward.

There's a time for standing your ground and making a point, and there's a time to let it go and focus the bigger prize. This group have still to learn the difference.
Well said. In fairness this is the first year that the group has made it this far. The team that won Sam also needed a few iterations. If Armagh can find  few new players and benefit from the advantages that some more discipline would bring, they should be in contention over the next few years.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

galwayman

Quote from: Manning18 on June 28, 2022, 07:42:13 PM
While I completely agree with the above that we need to move on from the TK stuff as he's had his punishment now (and it's no Galway people here who are calling for his head), the idea that comer was the instigator is wrong and needs to stop.

Morgan, somewhat understandably in the joys of utter celebration, shouldered comer in the back and started mouthing a bit. Comer, who doesn't shy away from much to be fair, shoved back and then comer was surrounded by a few Armagh and then everyone started piling over. That's what happened and saying otherwise is starting a wrongful discussion about a player who still has to go perform in 2 weeks
100% that is exactly what happened. Anyone sitting in that area of the Cusack will say the same.

blanketattack

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/8663226.stm

Only took a second.

Edit by Mod5, leaving link in place.

balladmaker

TK will get a suitable ban and will be the first to admit he deserves it.  Thankfully no serious damage was done to Damien Comer, and it's good to hear TK has reached out to the Galway camp.

I agree with the comments from Galway folk above ref. how the melee started ... it was no more that 15 yards in front of me in the lower Cusack .... a shoulder in the back of Comer and the handbags commence.  I could see it coming as could anyone else in the stadium I reckon, tensions were palpable and there was even some minor jostling behind me between some rival supporters however they quickly caught themselves on. (This was in response to a Galway man's efforts to sing the Fields of Athenrye after each Galway score, and he eventually reached a crescendo when they went 6 up and he proceeded to goad Armagh supporters around him, it was very funny when the game drew level :-) )   In hindsight, Galway will probably be grateful that the row did occur, as it changed the whole mood from one of collapse to one of let's go again for Galway.

I watched in dismay as the melee unfolded as I knew right away that this was not to Armagh's benefit.  We'd just come back from the dead topped off by Rian's wonder point, we should have been first into the changing rooms to get the heads settled and ready to push on to victory ... instead Armagh handed the psychological initiative to Galway who came out the stronger in extra time.

Galway were the best team on the day and fully deserved the win, Armagh didn't quite reach the intensity of the previous two outings.  Sort out the issues between goalkeeper and fullback line and Galway will be a match for anyone.  I wish them all the best in their quest for Sam. 

As for Armagh, they will go again and will be around the business end of the championship in 2023.  It's no accident that Armagh have been involved in the best games in 2021 and 2022.  And the Armagh supporters matched their team's efforts.  Hopefully Rian O'Neill is a 2022 All Star.

Blowitupref

From the Irish Examiner

GAA officials to seriously consider cutting back the privileges of extended panel members.

That may mean restricting them from accessing the dressing-rooms on the day, being able to sit among the substitutes, or even insisting on a smaller number of people attached to the matchday squad and management, in time for the 2023 season.

The early indications for what could transpire this week include Galway captain Seán Kelly being cleared of his red card and thereby able to face Derry in the All-Ireland semi-final on July 9.

Armagh joint-captain Aidan Nugent also received a red card that could rule him out of the first game at inter-county level in 2023, but it is believed he has a solid case for overturning that suspension.

Video evidence however is expected to land Tiernan Kelly and one other Armagh player with a suspension, along with a Galway substitute.

What length of suspension and the extent of the punishment depends on the type of charge brought.

If it is one of 'discrediting the association', it is difficult to make the charge stand, but can carry as much as a 48-week ban.

That Kelly was a non-playing member puts a certain amount of pressure on those dealing with it to hand down a severe sanction.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

naka

Let's get back to the game
Galway's first goal a definite throw ball
And the second free kick against Mackin a clear pull down from comet
Some mistakes through out game which seem to be lost in the furore
Some game though
Still
Think hall should have gone for goal

GAABoardMod5

People,

Don't quote controversial posts, as your contribution will be deleted with it.

Lucifer

Quote from: naka on June 28, 2022, 10:42:43 PM
Some game though
Still

It's a scenario where most go for a point, but a goal was certainly on. Why did Armagh choose to give up the kick out after the point? There was a stoppage and Armagh flooded back when they could have pressed and forced a contest for possession (hard not to think of the "game management" by Dublin against Mayo years ago when Clarke ended up hitting out over the line.) I thought that was a time to show courage. When McDaid scored Galway followed up with a press and actually won the resultant kick out.

tonto1888

Quote from: Lucifer on June 28, 2022, 11:02:26 PM
Some game though
Still

That annoyed me at the time too. Even more so now. I don't understand why we didn't push up

It's a scenario where most go for a point, but a goal was certainly on. Why did Armagh choose to give up the kick out after the point? There was a stoppage and Armagh flooded back when they could have pressed and forced a contest for possession (hard not to think of the "game management" by Dublin against Mayo years ago when Clarke ended up hitting out over the line.) I thought that was a time to show courage. When McDaid scored Galway followed up with a press and actually won the resultant kick out.

naka

Fair point, Armagh went conservative and paid the price
Overall Galway the better side after the sending off
But small mistakes/ decisions win games
My view armagh should have been brave on the kickout

Wildweasel74

Off a day, and the whole thread gone Pete Tong.

yellowcard

Quote from: Lucifer on June 28, 2022, 11:02:26 PM
Some game though
Still

It's one of those ones where it's easy to be wise in hindsight. Hall could have went for goal which probably would have won the match but I think given the circumstances he probably took the right option. At that stage after 100+ minutes, minds and bodies are exhausted so the default mode is to protect what you have. Maybe in hindsight they could have pressed up but there is no guarantee that Galway wouldn't have equalised had we done so either. It was a big score from McDaid given the circumstances. After he scored I felt that was the time to get an actual shot stopper on the pitch and take Hughes on for Rafferty for penalties. Easy to be wise in hindsight but it's clear from watching Rafferty in matches that he is not a trained shot stopper.