Mayo V Monaghan Qualifier

Started by joemamas, May 23, 2022, 03:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

The last 9 years (2013 to 2021) Monaghan have reached the last 8 four times and the All-Ireland semi finals once in majority of those games they were competitive. Plenty of counties with bigger populations or the likes of Down, Meath, Cork with a tradition or history of reaching All Ireland finals have not performed like Monaghan in the championship the last decade.

Furthermore and to highlight the improvement Monaghan have made the previous 9 years 2004 to 2012 only once (2007) did Monaghan reach the last 8 of the championship.

On the topic better of forwards, well forwards are only as good as the time and space given to them and Mayo have good man markers. The way I've seen Monaghan play this year it would be ideal team for Mayo to play as under Banty they don't seem to put much focus on keeping things tight at the back and goals are much easier got against them than other Div 1 sides.

Hound

Time for Jack McCarron to have a massive championship game against genuine Tier 1 opposition. He's done it in the league manys the time, and in important league games, but now is the time to shine on the bigger stage.

Main Street

Quote from: Hound on May 26, 2022, 03:11:59 PM
Time for Jack McCarron to have a massive championship game against genuine Tier 1 opposition. He's done it in the league manys the time, and in important league games, but now is the time to shine on the bigger stage.
Jack's playing career has been plagued by serious and recurring injuries. He doesn't owe anything more to the game in order to prove some questions about his mettle.

rosnarun

Quote from: seafoid on May 26, 2022, 11:13:57 AM
Mayo will run all day. A pity neither team have yet managed to win Sam.

Fixed that for you
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

full moon

You'd have to fancy Mayo here but there is talk of injuries, be interesting to get team news later in week

iorras

Yes, lots of injuries. Ryan O'Donoghue is out with a groin strain, Michael Plunkett broke his leg. Jason Doherty came back from long term injury, got injured again but is now supposed to be back but still rumours that hes not fully right. Cillian O'Connor has played one competitive game in almost 12 months, Rob Hennelly might be back, Oisin Mullen doubtful, Paddy Durcan was injured but might be back as well.
Mattie Ruane got a knock and Jordan Flynn is still recovering from a broken ankle.
Lucky to field a team at this rate. Anyway I dont think either team is going anywhere this year so its a bit of a nothing game in the scheme of the All Ireland winnder.

full moon

Quote from: iorras on May 30, 2022, 11:48:15 PM
Yes, lots of injuries. Ryan O'Donoghue is out with a groin strain, Michael Plunkett broke his leg. Jason Doherty came back from long term injury, got injured again but is now supposed to be back but still rumours that hes not fully right. Cillian O'Connor has played one competitive game in almost 12 months, Rob Hennelly might be back, Oisin Mullen doubtful, Paddy Durcan was injured but might be back as well.
Mattie Ruane got a knock and Jordan Flynn is still recovering from a broken ankle.
Lucky to field a team at this rate. Anyway I dont think either team is going anywhere this year so its a bit of a nothing game in the scheme of the All Ireland winnder.
With an injury list like that Monaghan may have a very good chance.  O'Connor needs a big game here

marty34

Quote from: iorras on May 30, 2022, 11:48:15 PM

A lot of 'buts' and 'mights' in there!

imtommygunn

A bit of Fergie talk in there me thinks  ;D

This one could go either way. Best time for Monaghan to get Mayo before they build up a head of steam. It should be very interesting. I suspect it may be better than Tyrone Armagh.

highorlow

I don't think I ever remember (i was too young in the 70's and early 80's) a build up to a Mayo match where our supporters were so pessimistic.

Once we get behind in this match and McHale falls silent this could get nasty.

Monaghan by at least 5 points.

Hope I'm wrong and I hope the players prove me / us all wrong.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

JoeSoap

Monaghan will win if Banty doesn't get in their way

Farrandeelin

Quote from: highorlow on May 31, 2022, 09:41:37 AM
I don't think I ever remember (i was too young in the 70's and early 80's) a build up to a Mayo match where our supporters were so pessimistic.

Once we get behind in this match and McHale falls silent this could get nasty.

Monaghan by at least 5 points.

Hope I'm wrong and I hope the players prove me / us all wrong.

I'd call it more apathy than pessimism. If the injuries laid out by iorras are true - Horan, from what I could make out anyway seemed more optimistic - then I can't see us winning unfortunately.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

rosnarun

I think whoever wins this match will feel they have their season back on track and that they , depending on the draw and the fact dublin will play kerry in one semi , could see them selves in an all Ireland final. which would change every thing
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Keyser soze

I think Mayo will win this, cant understand the negativity from their supporters.... it's not like them to talk their team's chances down lol.

Main Street

It's a blatant case of poor mouthing.