Hurling 2022

Started by Dag Dog, January 17, 2022, 02:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Quote from: Saffrongael on June 18, 2022, 08:47:26 PM
Cork were at the same thing last week against Antrim, and Kingston mentioned it after the game. Going for goals when the point is on, they didn't learn

The misses in the first half , points or otherwise, were chronic then there was the first goal the goalie dropped in the net and they hit the post twice. There's just a list of things.

Clare will need to improve. Also get Kelly out the field earlier. A blind man could see it.

keep her low this half

Quote from: clonadmad on June 17, 2022, 09:19:38 PM
Quote from: keep her low this half on June 17, 2022, 08:53:10 PM
Congratulations to the Biffos good value for the win.
When was the last time Offaly were in a minor final?
I remember the minor final of 89 Offaly V Clare, it produced some pile of all ireland senior champions in the 90s

Well if you get as good a crop as you did from 1989 you are well set for the future. John Troy, Johnny Dooley and Brian Whelehan all on that team plus probably a few others I have fprgottem

johnnycool

Barring Eanna Murphy for Galway it wasn't a great Saturday for keepers.
     Quilligan not overly commanding in the air and rather than put his hand on the ball, batted it out and not very far, a defenders nightmare, the first one I can have a bit of sympathy for him, but the golden rule of goalkeeping is that you keep your eye on the original flight of the ball and make sure you get it, if Chin gets a touch and deflects it, there's nothing you can do, but he didn't and the ball squirmed through between his arm and body, the body should have been in line with the flight of the ball..

The other two were just basic errors, Collins probably reaching across his body with the catching hand and not being overly tall didn't have the reach for the ball dipping under the bar, Fannings one, he seems to have been planning his exit route from the square before he'd gotten full possession of the ball, basic but evidently costly mistake.

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on June 20, 2022, 09:30:32 AM
     Quilligan not overly commanding in the air and rather than put his hand on the ball, batted it out and not very far, a defenders nightmare, the first one I can have a bit of sympathy for him, but the golden rule of goalkeeping is that you keep your eye on the original flight of the ball and make sure you get it, if Chin gets a touch and deflects it, there's nothing you can do, but he didn't and the ball squirmed through between his arm and body, the body should have been in line with the flight of the ball..

The other two were just basic errors, Collins probably reaching across his body with the catching hand and not being overly tall didn't have the reach for the ball dipping under the bar, Fannings one, he seems to have been planning his exit route from the square before he'd gotten full possession of the ball, basic but evidently costly mistake.
I don't think Wexford are as good as Clare so maybe a mistake was the balancing item
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

marty34

What did people think of the penalty incident yesterday on Saturday evening?

I thought it was - cynical drag down.

Donal Óg now looking CP's pitch re-marked for the semi-finals.

On this I think the Cork football game had no 65 lines in it. Looked a bit strange at the start but thought it was ok when the eyes got adjusted to it.

Could they do that for the hurling and football games in CP over the next few weeks - take the 45's and 65's out for the respective games?

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on June 20, 2022, 10:43:08 AM

I don't think Wexford are as good as Clare so maybe a mistake was the balancing item

They're not as good as Clare but on the day they could have won it and that's all that counts. Clare dug in, turned the momentum of the game in their favour and were worthy winners in the end.

I thought it was a penalty alright, although there were a few Clare defenders who were racing back for cover and that maybe swayed the referee more than the 25 metre thing which is near on impossible for a referee to judge with no line so I'd agree with Donal Og on that one.

Do you not need the 65's in football for the throw in to keep the rest of the players out of that area?

Premier Emperor

Quote from: Saffrongael on June 18, 2022, 04:41:44 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 18, 2022, 04:38:22 PM
Who's the female pundit? She's not bad.

I like canning as a pundit. Calm and measured and seems confident enough in himself that he's not interested in controversy nonsense.

The evening show has become a bit about the pundits. These ones here much better.

Anna Geary
Can someone stop her constantly interrupting the other panellists to womansplain?

seafoid

It feels like the tail end of the Kilkenny years when what counted was who was first in line behind them. Hurling is weird at the moment because the Old Firm are all some form of banjaxed at the same time. Limerick might win say another 2 but if that ends before Tipp and Cork get back on the saddle there should be a few All Irelands available.   

marty34

Quote from: johnnycool on June 20, 2022, 12:41:52 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 20, 2022, 10:43:08 AM

They're not as good as Clare but on the day they could have won it and that's all that counts. Clare dug in, turned the momentum of the game in their favour and were worthy winners in the end.

I thought it was a penalty alright, although there were a few Clare defenders who were racing back for cover and that maybe swayed the referee more than the 25 metre thing which is near on impossible for a referee to judge with no line so I'd agree with Donal Og on that one.

Do you not need the 65's in football for the throw in to keep the rest of the players out of that area?

Good point never thought about that.

They'll always inside it amyway so it makes no difference.

Only thing on the penalty is he held him back for a second. He literally hung on to him and that gave the impression that the defenders would have got back. Chin's a strong lad so he had to rugby style hold him.

Maybe make the 'square' bigger and any fouls inside it would be a penalty.

Clare have 2 weeks now to reset.  Aaron Shanagher was excellent when he came on. Never started in this years championship but has been about a few years now. He'll be an option for the semi-final - very good in the air also.

marty34

Anybody know are the GAA doing any special underage deals for the AISF's in the hurling?

Used to be able to take underage teams to the semi-finals for €5 iirc.

johnnycool

Quote from: marty34 on June 20, 2022, 01:10:26 PM
Anybody know are the GAA doing any special underage deals for the AISF's in the hurling?

Used to be able to take underage teams to the semi-finals for €5 iirc.

I think you can still get the kids in for €5, but the deal they had was that you could also get a few mentors in for €15 IIRC, but now the mentors are to pay the full €50

Milltown Row2

Good games coming up at the weekend, Limerick based on how Galway have played this year should win by 8/9 points, they would need to have a really poor game and for Galway to pull that one performance out of a hat to have a chance..

Clare have been the only team that has really given them a go this year in Championship, but I wouldn't be surprised if Kilkenny bates Clare as I've written the Cats off all year.. Kelly and co can't afford to miss the free's or the wide count they had the last day out, and the won't be able to claw back a lead to Kilkenny, as they will see it out and chip away at the scoreboard..

Which leaves us with a possible line up of Limerick v Kilkenny and that will only give us one outcome, Kilkenny have been in 1 final in that 6 years, they were hammered by Tipp 2019.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 27, 2022, 03:42:15 PM
Good games coming up at the weekend, Limerick based on how Galway have played this year should win by 8/9 points, they would need to have a really poor game and for Galway to pull that one performance out of a hat to have a chance..

Clare have been the only team that has really given them a go this year in Championship, but I wouldn't be surprised if Kilkenny bates Clare as I've written the Cats off all year.. Kelly and co can't afford to miss the free's or the wide count they had the last day out, and the won't be able to claw back a lead to Kilkenny, as they will see it out and chip away at the scoreboard..

Which leaves us with a possible line up of Limerick v Kilkenny and that will only give us one outcome, Kilkenny have been in 1 final in that 6 years, they were hammered by Tipp 2019.

Hard to look past Limerick alright and with a few more bodies back could be formidable enough, but 8/9 points is probably on the conservative side of the scoreline. Galway really need to come with their top performance or it'll be nearer 15. This limerick team will go for the jugular if they sense a weakness.
I just can't see where the Galway scores are going to come from sadly.

Clare v KK is harder to call. Clare could argue they burned off some dirty diesel in the first half v Wexford and when they go going were well worth the win against a team who went to Nowlan park and won well beforehand.  Aerially the Clare defence need to do better as that's still plan A for Kilkenny. Give TJ and Eoin Cody aerial possession that close to goal and there's only one outcome. Expecting John Conlon to sit very deep when the aerial bombardment comes in.

Can Kilkenny cope with a Tony Kelly (carrying a bit of an injury vrs Wex), Shane O'Donnell as well as Duggan might prove too much for this Kilkenny defence, but you really can't write the buggers off.

Hoping for Clare but this could well be another cracker.

seafoid

Limerick would hammer KK in a  final but Clare would do better

marty34

Quote from: seafoid on June 27, 2022, 05:11:20 PM
Limerick would hammer KK in a  final but Clare would do better

I'd say Kiely would want KK after what happened in 2019.

He wants revenge on Kilkenny.  They're the only team thst has blotched their copybook, apart from their early 1/4 final win in Thurles a few years back.