INSURANCE

Started by Captain Scarlet, July 09, 2019, 04:04:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Scarlet

Lads not sure if you had seen Pearse Doherty taking apart the insurance firms this week, but he really showed them up with their false claims.
Then you have an article saying that the High Court awarded 19% less in 2018 compared to 2017 in personal claims.
ALL the while the premiums are through the roof.

I am lving in Dublin a good while, no need for a car, but one is on offer but I got quoted nearly 3K as a 'new driver'...thought it was harsh as I haven't had my own policy in years but chatting people it seems plenty coming home from Oz and the likes are getting screwed.

Are there any decent operators out there? Is there any hope for reasonable prices.
I know this forum has a lot of Ulster men, so what kind of prices are ye looking at?
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

bennydorano

Watched The Pearse Doherty grilling, he was fantastic. I don't follow politics much in the ROI, would he be a leading light or a potential future leader? It was mightily impressive.

93-DY-SAM

Saw this and it was very interesting watching his dismantling of the myth of the extent of fraud in the insurance industry. Was something to behold these chief executives squirming at basic facts being leveled at them and which none of them seemed to even have any kind of basic answer prepared. I don't know if that reflects the arrogance of these insurance companies that they think they are beyond this level of questioning.

It is ironic in all of this that these companies appear to be guilty of the biggest fraud of all. The question now is what happens next and what are the consequences for these companies. They will probably squirm off the hook with nothing being done about it and continue as.

brokencrossbar1

As someone who is dealing with this day and daily the attitude of the insurance companies has become very hostile in the last last 12 months. Whereas they would have settled cases readily in the last they are consistently refusing to agree to the assessment process, refusing to settle cases where liability is clearly not an issue and as a consequence they are driving up legal costs and potentially damages. I have 7 cases where they have paid vehicle damage, admitted liability but are refusing to settle the injury element. As a consequence I have had to issue proceedings. Across all 7 cases if they had settled them at the outset our costs would have been about €4,000. As I issued them and will run them to hearing between our costs, defence solicitors and barristers costs for all 7 will be around €100k. We could have sorted this out but they refused. I have to look after my clients. These are all genuine cases too. No vehicle damage was less than €1000 so that's not a minimal impact. There is an agenda since the cartel searches in July 2017 to push out. They have been price fixing and have been caught out. This is a deflection agenda.

dec

Is there much competition between insurance firms?

If you were to shop around could you find any significantly lower prices?

delgany

Most companies make the biggest profit from customer who dont  shop/compare prices.
Alot of  people get caught by automatic renewal that has crept into the t & c.
I would always check online !

trailer

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 09, 2019, 05:23:15 PM
As someone who is dealing with this day and daily the attitude of the insurance companies has become very hostile in the last last 12 months. Whereas they would have settled cases readily in the last they are consistently refusing to agree to the assessment process, refusing to settle cases where liability is clearly not an issue and as a consequence they are driving up legal costs and potentially damages. I have 7 cases where they have paid vehicle damage, admitted liability but are refusing to settle the injury element. As a consequence I have had to issue proceedings. Across all 7 cases if they had settled them at the outset our costs would have been about €4,000. As I issued them and will run them to hearing between our costs, defence solicitors and barristers costs for all 7 will be around €100k. We could have sorted this out but they refused. I have to look after my clients. These are all genuine cases too. No vehicle damage was less than €1000 so that's not a minimal impact. There is an agenda since the cartel searches in July 2017 to push out. They have been price fixing and have been caught out. This is a deflection agenda.

Solicitors are as much at fault as are Insurance companies. I had a smash, guy wan't paying attention and T-Boned me at a blind corner. Admitted liability etc. Police attended, agreed it was his fault. Got a letter 2 weeks later from Wislon Nesbitt seeking personal injury claim for him and son £50k each. I countered and it's still going on. Solicitors only ones benefiting. I love to ring the guy up and tell him to cop on. Belfast p***k and it's a culture down there unfortunately, fed by the legal profession.

Agree Doherty was mighty impressive. The whole industry is a cartel. It's complete profiteering. There's less serious accidents every year yet they're upping the anti all time.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: trailer on July 09, 2019, 09:32:55 PM

Solicitors are as much at fault as are Insurance companies. I had a smash, guy wan't paying attention and T-Boned me at a blind corner. Admitted liability etc. Police attended, agreed it was his fault. Got a letter 2 weeks later from Wislon Nesbitt seeking personal injury claim for him and son £50k each. I countered and it's still going on. Solicitors only ones benefiting. I love to ring the guy up and tell him to cop on. Belfast p***k and it's a culture down there unfortunately, fed by the legal profession.

Agree Doherty was mighty impressive. The whole industry is a cartel. It's complete profiteering. There's less serious accidents every year yet they're upping the anti all time.

If he has admitted liability and the police know that then I would agree that the solicitor is wrong to be pursuing this and if your Insurance company have anything about them they will defend it. I regularly turn cases away as I feel that liability is questionable and I would reckon the majority of solicitors are like that. A bit surprised at Wilson Nesbit to be honest as they would be one of the more established firms so don't need to do that sort of thing.

imtommygunn

Derry city is the place renowned for claim culture.

oakleaflad

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 10, 2019, 12:13:08 PM
Derry city is the place renowned for claim culture.
Is it? I'm not from the city but it's the first I've heard of it

93-DY-SAM

Reminds me of the old yarn about a bus crashing on the Falls. There were only a couple of passengers on board at the time of the crash but there were 30 odd claims after the chancers decided to pile on after. I doubt if there was any element of truth to the story but the old saying no smoke without fire comes to mind.

macdanger2

Are the injuries genuine?

A scratch to a bumper could easily cost > 1k

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: macdanger2 on July 10, 2019, 01:01:21 PM

Absolutely genuine....I know the man very well and he is crippled with back pain

trueblue1234

Can't pin all the blame on Solicitor either. People should have a bit of decency about them rather than the current view of, I've been involved in an accident, I deserve a claim. At the end of the day if a Solicitor's told his client has an injury they are there to take their client at their word and to work in their best interest. Bar a really obvious fabricated claim, it would be tough for a Solicitor to decide which is genuine or not. For me the blame should be laid firmly at the people who knowingly either fabricate or exaggerate their injury to try and make a few pound. I've no doubt some solicitors will harry their clients to include a PI claim and they should rightly be shot with a ball of their own sh!te. But for me it's a sign of the way society has went and the in for themselves mentality. 
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

macdanger2

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 10, 2019, 01:35:44 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on July 10, 2019, 01:01:21 PM

Absolutely genuine....I know the man very well and he is crippled with back pain

What about the other 6 cases?