Connacht Minor, U-20 and Junior championships 2020

Started by Farrandeelin, April 25, 2018, 08:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

galwayman

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 14, 2018, 01:04:07 PM
http://www.the42.ie/galway-roscommon-match-reports-connacht-final-kildare-wicklow-4127024-Jul2018/

Great achievement for the young lads especially as they lost all the dual players on the panel a few months ago to the hurlers. I was wondering when I saw lads from Tuam, Annaghdown, Ballygar and Salthill on the Galway minor hurling team that played Limerick last weekend. All traditional football areas not known for their hurling.

QuoteGalway minor football manager Donal Ó Fatharta was interviewed on Raidió Na Gaeltachta by Cárthach Breathnach in the aftermath of his side's comprehensive victory over Roscommon in their Connacht Championship first round clash on Friday evening.

Ó Fatharta, a member the An Spideal hurling and football club, hit out at minor hurling manager Jeffrey Lynskey for preventing a number of his panellists from playing football as well as hurling in maroon.

"They (a group of players) were with us in January but there was a decision made that I didn't agree with and I fought as much as I could, but I wasn't listened to at all," began Ó Fátharta.

It is claimed that Lynskey has disallowed ten of his panel members from playing football.

"It was the manager of the hurling panel, Jeffrey Lynskey who made the decision. It wouldn't be right that I would have that power, and in my opinion, it's not right that anybody would have that power," he continued.

"This first happened in February, we're without, around ten of them who would probably be on the panel.

"But we drew a line in the sand in February and from then on we said that's the panel we have for the year now.

"The power should be with the county board for something like that, but that's the way it is and we're going to work away with what we have...It will be in front of the board and the clubs in the future."
Ballygar are gone to the dogs in football.

galwayman

Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 14, 2018, 01:19:43 PM
http://www.the42.ie/galway-roscommon-match-reports-connacht-final-kildare-wicklow-4127024-Jul2018/

Great achievement for the young lads especially as they lost all the dual players on the panel a few months ago to the hurlers. I was wondering when I saw lads from Tuam, Annaghdown, Ballygar and Salthill on the Galway minor hurling team that played Limerick last weekend. All traditional football areas not known for their hurling.

QuoteGalway minor football manager Donal Ó Fatharta was interviewed on Raidió Na Gaeltachta by Cárthach Breathnach in the aftermath of his side's comprehensive victory over Roscommon in their Connacht Championship first round clash on Friday evening.

Ó Fatharta, a member the An Spideal hurling and football club, hit out at minor hurling manager Jeffrey Lynskey for preventing a number of his panellists from playing football as well as hurling in maroon.

"They (a group of players) were with us in January but there was a decision made that I didn't agree with and I fought as much as I could, but I wasn't listened to at all," began Ó Fátharta.

It is claimed that Lynskey has disallowed ten of his panel members from playing football.

"It was the manager of the hurling panel, Jeffrey Lynskey who made the decision. It wouldn't be right that I would have that power, and in my opinion, it's not right that anybody would have that power," he continued.

"This first happened in February, we're without, around ten of them who would probably be on the panel.

"But we drew a line in the sand in February and from then on we said that's the panel we have for the year now.

"The power should be with the county board for something like that, but that's the way it is and we're going to work away with what we have...It will be in front of the board and the clubs in the future."

Can you name some of those dual players were they possible starters or subs? Not sure would I call it that great of achievement when you consider Galway city west and north teams won the Ted Webb cup and shield last year.
Two that I know of are Keelan Creaven (Kilconly) & Donal O Shea (Salthill).

fearsiuil

Quote from: galwayman on July 14, 2018, 02:27:23 PM

Can you name some of those dual players were they possible starters or subs? Not sure would I call it that great of achievement when you consider Galway city west and north teams won the Ted Webb cup and shield last year.
Donal O'Shea son of Eamon the ex Tipp manager?

galwayman

Quote from: fearsiuil on July 14, 2018, 02:46:41 PM
Quote from: galwayman on July 14, 2018, 02:27:23 PM

Donal O'Shea son of Eamon the ex Tipp manager?
Correct

Cunny Funt

2019 draws.

U20

Extra Time in all games, Finish on Day

2019 Connacht Under 20 football championship draw.

Preliminary round June 26th

Leitrim v Roscommon  Carrick on Shannon

Semi finals July 3rd

Leitrim/Roscommon v Galway  Tuam/Hyde Park
Mayo v Sligo - MacHale Park

Final July 10th

Junior

Preliminary round May 12th

Roscommon v Leitrim Hyde Park

Semi finals

May 19th Sligo v Galway Markievicz Park
May 26th Mayo v Leitrim or Roscommon MacHale Park or Carrick

U17

Round robin system again.

Top Team qualifies for Final
2nd & 3rd Teams qualify for Semi Final
4th & 5th Teams qualify for B Final

Round 1 May 17th

Roscommon v Galway
Leitrim v Mayo

Round 2   May 24th

Galway v Sligo
Mayo v Roscommon

Round 3 May 31st

Roscommon v Leitrim
Sligo v Mayo

Round 4 June 14th

Mayo v Galway
Leitrim v Sligo

Round 5 June 21st

Sligo v Roscommon
Galway v Leitrim

Semi final June 26th

Final A and B July 5th

Cunny Funt

Farrandeelin can change the thread title to 2019

Minor (U17)

First round on this Friday at 730pm

Leitrim v Mayo  in Ballinamore
Roscommon v Galway  Hyde Park

Looks like a competitive championship with Sligo apparently much improved from last year. Mayo,Galway will be strong and Roscommon should be decent with some schools success. Leitrim will find it tough to win any game.

magpie seanie

Sligo v Galway in Junior on Sunday.

Did Roscommon play Leitrim in that competition last Sunday?

Owenmoresider

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 15, 2019, 11:01:55 AM
Sligo v Galway in Junior on Sunday.

Did Roscommon play Leitrim in that competition last Sunday?
Think they gave a walkover, Leitrim are playing Mayo in the semi anyway.

Rossfan

We withdrew because it seems D1 Counties (even if relegated) are only allowed to pick lads from Junior or Inter Clubs.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Blowitupref

Galway minor team for Friday night

Donie Halloran (Cortoon Shamrocks)
Jonathan McGrath (Caherlistrane)
Ruairi King (Clifden)
Liam Tevnan (Northern Gaels)
Ethan Fiorentini (St Michael's)
Darragh Kennedy (Clifden)
Daniel McNulty (St James)
James McLoughlin (Moycullen)
Daniel O'Flaherty (Salthill-Knocknacarra)
Alan Naughton (Caltra)
Daniel Cox (Moucullen)
Dylan Brady (Corofin)
Nathan Grainger (Claregalway)
Tomo Culhane (Salthill-Knocknacarra)
Warren Seoige (Naomh Anna, Leitir Moir)

Cox,Culhane and goalkeeper Halloran played last year any others?

Last summer Galway CW won the Ted Webb cup (U16 level) and Galway North won the Ted Webb Shield so they are very much the team to beat at this grade in Connacht once more.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

magpie seanie

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 15, 2019, 02:41:48 PM

Ruairi King (Clifden)
Alan Naughton (Caltra)
Daniel Cox (Moucullen)
Dylan Brady (Corofin)

Last summer Galway CW won the Ted Webb cup (U16 level) and Galway North won the Ted Webb Shield so they are very much the team to beat at this grade in Connacht once more.

Isn't the Webb Cup a blitz like competition?

Blowitupref

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 15, 2019, 02:44:55 PM

Ruairi King (Clifden)
Alan Naughton (Caltra)
Daniel Cox (Moucullen)
Dylan Brady (Corofin)

group games are blitz like. Semi final and finals are full 60 minute games i think. Your own Sligo won the Fr Manning cup last year and did well when they took part in the Ulster league this spring.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

magpie seanie

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 15, 2019, 02:48:41 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on May 15, 2019, 02:44:55 PM

Ruairi King (Clifden)
Alan Naughton (Caltra)
Daniel Cox (Moucullen)
Dylan Brady (Corofin)

group games are blitz like. Semi final and finals are full 60 minute games i think. Your own Sligo won the Fr Manning cup last year and did well when they took part in the Ulster league this spring.

Ya, I know that.

Rossfan

So it's Galway, Sligo and Mayowestros for the top 3 it seems.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Rossfan on May 15, 2019, 03:19:56 PM
So it's Galway, Sligo and Mayowestros for the top 3 it seems.

Looks that way and Leitrim v Roscommon for the B final if it's played (wasn't last year)