Would you be in favour of a second tier?

Started by sligoman2, June 26, 2017, 12:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be in favour of an alternative championship for Div 3 and 4 with winners and runners up rejoining the other championship.

Yes
136 (52.7%)
No
104 (40.3%)
Undecided
18 (7%)

Total Members Voted: 258

johnnycool

Quote from: five points on May 14, 2019, 12:24:48 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on May 14, 2019, 11:37:24 AM

Initially the Christy Ring and Nicky Rackard cups were played at 2pm prior to the two AI hurling semi-finals (the minors played at 12.30 IIRC) and it really was a boost to the likes of ourselves and Westmeath in the first one to be played on such an occasion, but hurling man Nicky Brennan moved them from that date to an obscure date in July and it hasn't been changed since.
The cĂșnt presented the previous years Down hurlers their NHL Div2 medals in Newry a few months before as he was canvassing for votes and if we'd known then what we do now he should have been booted down the road.

Nicky Rackard died over 40 years ago. If you're going to impugn someone, at least don't confuse them with a dead man.

Apologies there. My ire is to be directed at a Mr Nicky Brennan.

five points

Quote from: johnnycool on May 14, 2019, 12:35:49 PM
Apologies there. My ire is to be directed at a Mr Nicky Brennan.
Fair enough.

trailer

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on May 14, 2019, 09:29:13 AM
when you take away local rivalries in the GAA you lose a lot of your core support. club games are built on local rivalries
and you are relying on 'customers' or event junkies to fill the void

Your biggest rivals are the team you are trying to beat. Tyrone used to rival Armagh and Derry. Now it's Dublin and Kerry. That's a fact. Teams playing at their level going out to win. That's what everyone wants and anyone against that is against the GAA, Irish people and Mankind.

Maiden1

Quote from: trailer on May 14, 2019, 01:50:17 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on May 14, 2019, 09:29:13 AM
when you take away local rivalries in the GAA you lose a lot of your core support. club games are built on local rivalries
and you are relying on 'customers' or event junkies to fill the void

Your biggest rivals are the team you are trying to beat. Tyrone used to rival Armagh and Derry. Now it's Dublin and Kerry. That's a fact. Teams playing at their level going out to win. That's what everyone wants and anyone against that is against the GAA, Irish people and Mankind.
Down play Armagh this Sunday in first round of the championship.  It will probably be close to a sell out in Newry.  They could call the second/third tier competition the Sean O'Neill cup and I don't think there would be a big crowd in Newry.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

Rossfan

Do people attend Inter and Junior Club games in Down?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

johnnycool

Quote from: Rossfan on May 14, 2019, 03:38:27 PM

Just the mammies.

Esmarelda

I think we can all agree that John Duggan's suggestion is the worst yet, although there's a possibility it's tongue in cheek

https://www.todayfm.com/sport/opinion-fixing-the-gaelic-football-championship-is-not-rocket-science-858992

Farrandeelin

Fcuk all do in Mayo anyway Ross.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

lenny

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 15, 2019, 09:47:56 AM

Fcuk all do in Mayo anyway Ross.

I'm sure the players feel their club intermediate and junior titles are worthless because they weren't shown on tv.

Rossfan

I've never seen a sad or disappointed Junior or Inter Championship winner.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

five points

Quote from: Esmarelda on May 15, 2019, 09:36:50 AM
I think we can all agree that John Duggan's suggestion is the worst yet, although there's a possibility it's tongue in cheek

https://www.todayfm.com/sport/opinion-fixing-the-gaelic-football-championship-is-not-rocket-science-858992

Unbelievable. Sounds like a guy who never stepped foot on a sodden club pitch in the winter nor even a windswept county game terrace in February or March.

Mourne Red

Quote from: johnnycool on May 14, 2019, 03:47:07 PM

Just the mammies.

I wish, not even my mum goes to my games

Owenmoresider

Quote from: five points on May 15, 2019, 01:10:42 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on May 15, 2019, 09:36:50 AM

Unbelievable. Sounds like a guy who never stepped foot on a sodden club pitch in the winter nor even a windswept county game terrace in February or March.
And says that we should leave September alone for club activity, but that the All-Ireland finals would be on the second weekend in September  ???

LaurelEye

"Curtain-raiser to an All-Ireland quarter-final".

Out of sight, out of mind, really.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

LaurelEye

Quote from: Rossfan on May 15, 2019, 01:00:25 PM
I've never seen a sad or disappointed Junior or Inter Championship winner.

I remember the last time we won Intermediate being lectured by know-it-alls on how we should stay Intermediate to "have our own little championship that we could win". Thankfully, we had higher ambitions.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.