Ulster Colleges

Started by Line Ball, October 13, 2012, 06:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailer

Quote from: omaghjoe on March 05, 2019, 02:21:54 AM
Quote from: Seany on March 03, 2019, 09:38:37 AM
Pardon my possible ignorance on this, but is there not a SIgerson-like cynicism beginning to creep into schools football?  A few of the Armagh lads were originally at the Academy, but 'left after GCSE' to go to St. Pat's.  This seems to be a well worn path for good players who suddenly want to pursue a post 16 pathway that only the Armagh school can provide.  ALso - St. Michael's - do they not just Hoover up all the decent players form all the Fermanagh schools around it who don't offer A Level?  Don't think the Newry schools do it, hence their lack of success in recent years.  But I could be wrong.

Wouldnt blame decent Aramgh footballer for leaving the Academy. I know one fella who was an Armagh minor but sat on the bench for the Academy MacRory team, also think it was the same story with Brendan Donaghy but could stand corrected

Yeah Academy not great a developing footballers. Sean Cavanagh left them for example. McRory's they've won has been in spite of the management rather than because of them.

Targetman

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on March 05, 2019, 12:21:47 AM
Until very recently, there was little post-16 provisions in schools in Fermanagh outside of Enniskillen. Even today I think the only school in the county outside of Enniskillen offering anything beyond GCSEs is St. Kevin's in Lisnaskea, and that's only a relatively new school formed by the merger of St. Eugene's Roslea & St. Comghall's Lisnaskea and is based on the old St. Comghall's site - and it's still a relatively small school for student numbers. St Aidan's Derrylin & St. Mary's Brollagh don't have anything post-16 and I don't think St. Mary's Irvinestown have a six form at present either. Outside of the Catholic schools system, all post-primary schools are based in Enniskillen as well. Most students living in the county go to school or FE college in it - very few if any in the Catholic sector attend schools in Tyrone though the most likely would be those around Lack, Kesh & Ederney where Omagh is nearly as close as Enniskillen - though when I was at St. John's Dromore there was an Irvinestown girl in my class and I know a couple of boys from Brookeborough who went to St. Ciaran's Ballygawley. In the controlled sector some attend Fivemiletown High School. The Further Education sector is a little different as some courses may not be available at SWC's Enniskillen campus but are at Omagh or even Dungannon. In my younger years there was very little provision for those wanting to do/study engineering in the old Fermanagh College so anyone in the county interested in such a route after GCSEs going towards third-level either did A-Levels in Enniskillen or went to do BTEC National/Level 3 in Omagh - that changed a few years ago and Enniskillen now offers a much broader engineering pathway for post-GCSE students.
How long has Kilcoo's Conor Laverty been coaching the Mac Rory panel?

BennyHarp

@DanskeBank_UK  D'Alton Cup Results
@inis_col 11-4 @AcademyDgn 9-11

@stronanssport 7-14 @st_colmans 5-10

Just noticed these results from yesterday. You'd think someone would coach some defensive tactics in these schools ffs.  ;D Maybe the world hasn't fallen in completely on schools football just yet and there's still some enjoyment to be had for the players. Pity nobody had their camera phones out to capture the 32 goals scored over the two games and post them all over social media.
That was never a square ball!!

The Gs Man

My young lad played in that St. Ronan's game.

The week before they beat Maghera 7.10 to 5.14 with a last minute goal to win it.  No sweepers, man on man and all out attack from both sides.  The young lad has came home from school ecstatic after both games.

Incidentally, that match last week directly preceded the 0.2 - 01 game with the Abbey.
Keep 'er lit

Wildweasel74

At that age group the goalkeeper barely touch the bar. Plenty of goals always scored at that age group

rory

I see the U16.5 All Ireland Final involving St Colmans is down to be played at the National GAA Centre in Abbotstown.  Never been there but a quick search shows that there isn't much of a stand at it (maybe only 200 seats) and no banking around the pitch.  I know the game might only draw 6 or 700 people, but it seems like a strange venue.  Spectators will be stretched out around the fence and it won't have the atmosphere you would associate with a colleges game.

tiempo

Quote from: rory on March 13, 2019, 04:13:05 PM
I see the U16.5 All Ireland Final involving St Colmans is down to be played at the National GAA Centre in Abbotstown.  Never been there but a quick search shows that there isn't much of a stand at it (maybe only 200 seats) and no banking around the pitch.  I know the game might only draw 6 or 700 people, but it seems like a strange venue.  Spectators will be stretched out around the fence and it won't have the atmosphere you would associate with a colleges game.

Aye but central coffers will get a boost. Priorities lad.

banker

Hogan Cup semi-final was played there last year. Pretty sure it will work ok

lurganblue

Quote from: banker on March 15, 2019, 12:24:43 PM

Hogan Cup semi-final was played there last year. Pretty sure it will work ok

Did the 2 semi's last year not get played there at the same time? Dont remember there being much of an issue.

giveherlong

Any dates for hogan cup semi finals and final?

omagh_gael

Going to be a dark cloud hanging over today's MacRody final after the tradegy in Cookstown last night. No doubt many pupils from the CBS would have been there last night.

It puts things into perspective but I wonder will this go ahead?

May the victims rest in peace.

Harold Disgracey

He's been brilliant so far.

Hoof Hearted

Barry Cassidy has had a busy 24 hours
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

lenny

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on March 18, 2019, 01:51:37 PM

The 2 penalty decisions were terrible.

David McKeown

Quote from: lenny on March 18, 2019, 02:20:30 PM
Quote from: Hoof Hearted on March 18, 2019, 01:51:37 PM

The 2 penalty decisions were terrible.

Second one was a stone wall penalty for me. Far too many referees don't give it for me.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner