Assaults at GAA games

Started by Rudi, September 01, 2022, 11:57:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Quote from: shawshank on September 06, 2022, 10:00:08 AM
Any physical assault on a ref/linesman etc needs dealt with very harshly. Period!! However, I have played/attended/coached for yrs and you could well say its into well over a thousand games. So lets put this into perspective. I have never seen a ref or linesman physically assaulted I am glad to report. verbal abuse yes and there needs to be a over arcing approach to this from HQ to deal with the aggressive verbals, otherwise anything else won't work.

Just realised the worst assault I saw was the ref who did Louth/Meath on RTE from Tyrone. Thats the worst I have seen.

Was he assaulted? A few people went for him but I think he was got away from harms way before it happened. I too have never seen a ref assaulted in a match thankfully.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Itchy on September 06, 2022, 11:21:34 AM
Any physical assault on a ref/linesman etc needs dealt with very harshly. Period!! However, I have played/attended/coached for yrs and you could well say its into well over a thousand games. So lets put this into perspective. I have never seen a ref or linesman physically assaulted I am glad to report. verbal abuse yes and there needs to be a over arcing approach to this from HQ to deal with the aggressive verbals, otherwise anything else won't work.

Just realised the worst assault I saw was the ref who did Louth/Meath on RTE from Tyrone. Thats the worst I have seen.

Was he assaulted? A few people went for him but I think he was got away from harms way before it happened. I too have never seen a ref assaulted in a match thankfully.

How many games have you been at that they are verbally abused? I don't think I've been at one game, player supporter or referee that has been verbal free.

Do we encourage it? I can't remember being coached to shout at the ref, only time being sent off was for giving the ref verbal's and took the medicine and never got sent off again, even as a manager I encouraged the players to accept and move on, some can't do it and won't do it..

If we just laugh off the club eejit then we are encouraging it, if we don't confront the village bully then we are encouraging it.

Father in law is involved with a very good local soccer set up, they have zero tolerance from the get go, the parents sign up to the policy they have and if they don't follow the rules of talking back to ref's or parents shouting at ref's or giving off to coaches they are asked to leave, the kid loses out, by the time the kids have reached senior level they will have kept to the standards to at least that point. 

It can only work if you do it.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

That soccer policy sounds a good one.

Our underage teams that I was in gave a while lot of abuse to refs and as a result we got not much in return from them but our club clamped down a lot on it and words were had with various people.

There is a ref on here had a very bad time but thankfully the physical assaults on refs haven't been too frequent htough one is too frequent. My da always tells a story about a ref in the 60s or 70s in antrim who was a boxer and a player hit him then the ref beat the crap out of him.

The only thing  for this boy is the court of law.

Itchy

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 06, 2022, 11:40:16 AM

How many games have you been at that they are verbally abused? I don't think I've been at one game, player supporter or referee that has been verbal free.

Do we encourage it? I can't remember being coached to shout at the ref, only time being sent off was for giving the ref verbal's and took the medicine and never got sent off again, even as a manager I encouraged the players to accept and move on, some can't do it and won't do it..

If we just laugh off the club eejit then we are encouraging it, if we don't confront the village bully then we are encouraging it.

Father in law is involved with a very good local soccer set up, they have zero tolerance from the get go, the parents sign up to the policy they have and if they don't follow the rules of talking back to ref's or parents shouting at ref's or giving off to coaches they are asked to leave, the kid loses out, by the time the kids have reached senior level they will have kept to the standards to at least that point. 

Not a joke, but define verbal abuse. Is shouting a ref without using foul language verbal abuse. Is questioning a decision verbal abuse. I have been at plenty of games were no foul language was used at the ref and plenty where it has. But maybe you and I have a different definition. There is a world of difference in "ah come on ref that was a foul" versus "You are a useless bollox", at least in my opinion.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Itchy on September 06, 2022, 01:02:20 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 06, 2022, 11:40:16 AM

Not a joke, but define verbal abuse. Is shouting a ref without using foul language verbal abuse. Is questioning a decision verbal abuse. I have been at plenty of games were no foul language was used at the ref and plenty where it has. But maybe you and I have a different definition. There is a world of difference in "ah come on ref that was a foul" versus "You are a useless bollox", at least in my opinion.

I've no problems with ah ffs ref!! that's fine but you're a useless hoor and baldy wee cnut is verbal abuse  ;D

Going out of your way to head towards the gate were the ref is walking out is again a very common feature..

By the same token their actions will not help the team so why bother? It only takes one before there are plenty giving it..

If you don't pull clubmen doing it then you are encouraging it, Championship certainly lifts the tensions on the sideline and in the stand but he's doing his best, he hasn't set out to have a crap game just like the team so while you may be a decent supporter allowing others to go at it without approaching them will only allow this to continue.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Wildweasel74

Problem is most supporters at games do not know or up to date with rules. I remember when I played underage fball I told my mother to stay in the house, ( she sneeked to an odd game) and I played 5 times better because of it. Parents are def problem shouting at underage games. Was a neutral at girls games at the weekend and the ref was very poor in general due to age and fitness. Underage managers seem to try live their life's through young lads and shout to much at lads when it isn't required. But until their a general acceptance of the ref is the law like Rugby (be he crap or not) then things wouldn't change. Maybe then younger and fitter refs will be attracted to doing it. And I love to see all the loudmouths outside the wire try it, they wouldn't have a clue.

Rudi

More assaults at GAA games, video doing the rounds of lads scalping each other at a hurling club game in Limerick at the weekend.

Armagh18

Quote from: Rudi on September 14, 2022, 04:18:31 PM
More assaults at GAA games, video doing the rounds of lads scalping each other at a hurling club game in Limerick at the weekend.
Hardly any assault there ffs

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Armagh18 on September 14, 2022, 04:32:01 PM

Is that the one the cheeky shit threw the hurl over the fence?

I'd have booked him lol

Armagh18

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 14, 2022, 05:47:07 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on September 14, 2022, 04:32:01 PM

Is that the one the cheeky shit threw the hurl over the fence?

I'd have booked him lol
Cheeky wee shit alright 🤣

Milltown Row2

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 15, 2022, 03:46:27 PM
Quote from: Rudi on September 15, 2022, 03:44:29 PM
http://redirect.viglink.com/?key=71fe2139a887ad501313cd8cce3053c5&subId=6405782&u=https%3A//roscommonherald.ie/2022/09/15/suspension-proposed-following-incident-that-left-roscommon-referee-hospitalised/

ccc propose 96 week ban, for alleged assault at underage game.

Why not a lifetime ban and banned from attending any games?

I think a lifetime ban is 2 years in the Official Guide, could stand corrected though from the more learned on here.

Milltown Row2

Will be appealed and reduced further up the chain. If it is then its really a farce