How strong is Ulster compared to the other provinces?

Started by seafoid, August 19, 2022, 10:31:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Are Armagh and Derry the real thing or will Tyrone walk all over them ?
It's a long way to Christmas

thewobbler

You could just lock this thread until Christmas then?

Plenty of club stuff to be after.

tbrick18

Quote from: seafoid on August 19, 2022, 10:31:21 AM

I think Derry and Armagh will remain competitive in Ulster. Tyrone, can't be as bad as this year, but unless they improve their panel from what it was this year, they will not walk over anyone. They could slide back even more.

Hard to know what Monaghan/Donegal will be like given new management coming in and probably new playing personnel. Will Murphy still be there for Donegal?

Antrim improved, but still not a threat IMO.
Cavan might surprise a few next year with their run in the Tealteann cup this year.
Down - can't see them doing much, but who know.

Compare to other provinces, we're probably still most competitive where realistically we have at least 4 teams in with a real chance of winning the provincial.
On the all Ireland stage, we have 5 teams in the top 10 in the country, so in general I'd say compared to other provinces we are very strong. However, none of those 5 teams would be favourites for an AI - Kerry, Dublin, Galway all would be ahead of them.

For what it's worth, my opinion on to 10 teams in order are:

Kerry
Dublin
Galway
Derry
Armagh
Mayo
Donegal
Monaghan
Tyrone
Roscommon

**Getting ready for the outrage at some of the ratings  ;D

armaghniac

My prediction is that Tyrone will not beat Armagh or Derry before Christmas. The Tyrone club champions may well be beaten by the Armagh or Derry champions though.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Eire90

percentage wise could you say Connaught is strong.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

clonadmad

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: tbrick18 on August 19, 2022, 10:48:53 AM

I think Derry and Armagh will remain competitive in Ulster. Tyrone, can't be as bad as this year, but unless they improve their panel from what it was this year, they will not walk over anyone. They could slide back even more.

Hard to know what Monaghan/Donegal will be like given new management coming in and probably new playing personnel. Will Murphy still be there for Donegal?

Cavan might surprise a few next year with their run in the Tealteann cup this year.

Compare to other provinces, we're probably still most competitive where realistically we have at least 4 teams in with a real chance of winning the provincial.
On the all Ireland stage, we have 5 teams in the top 10 in the country, so in general I'd say compared to other provinces we are very strong. However, none of those 5 teams would be favourites for an AI - Kerry, Dublin, Galway all would be ahead of them.

Kerry
Dublin
Galway
Derry
Armagh
Mayo
Donegal
Monaghan
Tyrone
Roscommon

Haven't felt this underrated since... 2021! Keep 'er lit!  :D
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

armaghniac

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 19, 2022, 08:24:15 PM

Haven't felt this underrated since... 2021! Keep 'er lit!  :D

We don't underrate you. Armagh beat Tyrone 3 times in 2022, I wouldn't be surprised if it was only twice in 2023.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Turf

Kerry
Dublin
Galway
Derry
Armagh
Mayo
Donegal
Monaghan
Tyrone
Roscommon

Roscommon  ;D

Blowitupref

Quote from: Turf on August 19, 2022, 09:12:16 PM

Kerry
Dublin
Galway
Derry
Armagh
Mayo
Donegal
Monaghan
Tyrone
Roscommon

Roscommon  ;D

Every year since 2015 they have been in either the top in Div 2 or playing in Div 1 so 10th probably about right.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

ONeill

You only have to look at Division 1. Armagh, Donegal, Monaghan, Tyrone....and Derry are not out of place in Division one if placed there. If drawn in the prelim of Ulster you could meet 4 of those sides in order to win Ulster.

Down are in a bit of a lull. Antrim, Cavan and Fermanagh will yoyo between 2 and 4.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

bennydorano

Quote from: ONeill on August 19, 2022, 10:00:29 PM
You only have to look at Division 1. Armagh, Donegal, Monaghan, Tyrone....and Derry are not out of place in Division one if placed there. If drawn in the prelim of Ulster you could meet 4 of those sides in order to win Ulster.

Down are in a bit of a lull. Antrim, Cavan and Fermanagh will yoyo between 2 and 4.
I wouldn't have Cavan in with the other 3 at all, they've plenty of good footballers & a good manager. I doubt they'd fear any team in Ulster.

Itchy

Quote from: Blowitupref on August 19, 2022, 09:52:06 PM
Quote from: Turf on August 19, 2022, 09:12:16 PM

Kerry
Dublin
Galway
Derry
Armagh
Mayo
Donegal
Monaghan
Tyrone
Roscommon

Roscommon  ;D

Every year since 2015 they have been in either the top in Div 2 or playing in Div 1 so 10th probably about right.

Am I right in saying Armagh are the 5th best team in Ireland despite having won no league or championship trophy in say the last 5 years?