All Stars 2022

Started by ONeill, July 09, 2022, 11:19:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onefineday

Mckaigue will get derry's award. Rodgers still has a reasonable chance. Glass has been Derry's player of the championship, but midfield is competitive and it didn't happen for him at all yesterday, so think that's it for Derry.

seafoid

This year might be different. It's hard to say ahead of the second semi but there was a greater spread of teams with a say. Maybe the championship is less predictable. It might be reflected in the  all stars. Sometimes they recognise achievements eg Tipp winning Munster
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Blowitupref

Quote from: Rossfan on July 10, 2022, 08:56:25 AM
The AI Champions will get 7 or 8
The runners up will get 3 or 4
The losing semi finalists will get 1 each.
That leaves 1 to 3 up for grabs.

Yes that's the way it's been in recent years.

A good semi final performance is normally enough to win one so Comer should be nailed on now.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

pbat

Think Ethan Rafferty could get one from Armagh ahead of O Neill, unless Kerry or Dublin's keeper pulls off something today or the final there is no really candidate. Lynch and Gleeson have done enough not even to get a nomination.

As brilliant as O Neill was in flashes was he consistence enough to get one?

Rudi

Tailteann cup team winners bound to get a token all star. Was a super competition, delighted to see a good Westmeath side win it. Heslin or fullback could be favs.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Rudi on July 10, 2022, 10:40:56 AM
Tailteann cup team winners bound to get a token all star. Was a super competition, delighted to see a good Westmeath side win it. Heslin or fullback could be favs.

I'm nearly certain there is going to be a separate All-Stars 15 for the Tailteann Cup teams.

gallsman

Quote from: twohands!!! on July 10, 2022, 06:41:40 PM
Quote from: Rudi on July 10, 2022, 10:40:56 AM

I'm nearly certain there is going to be a separate All-Stars 15 for the Tailteann Cup teams.

Not this year but in future I think.

lenny

Quote from: onefineday on July 10, 2022, 09:30:20 AM
Mckaigue will get derry's award. Rodgers still has a reasonable chance. Glass has been Derry's player of the championship, but midfield is competitive and it didn't happen for him at all yesterday, so think that's it for Derry.

Conor McCluskey has been brilliant for Derry all season including yesterday. He's the best all round corner back this year. Superb at marking and also attacking. Held Walsh scoreless from play yesterday and repeatedly put him on the back foot. If there's only one for Derry he deserves it although we might get 2.

JoeSoap

Quote from: lenny on July 10, 2022, 07:55:13 PM
Quote from: onefineday on July 10, 2022, 09:30:20 AM

Conor McCluskey has been brilliant for Derry all season including yesterday. He's the best all round corner back this year. Superb at marking and also attacking. Held Walsh scoreless from play yesterday and repeatedly put him on the back foot. If there's only one for Derry he deserves it although we might get 2.

I think McKaigue is nailed on because of all the noise around him but I agree that McCluskey has been unreal all year. He did some job on Walsh yesterday.

imtommygunn

Kilkenny a certainty now too I would say. Unsure on other dub forwards. Would expect comer, Kilkenny, Clifford possibly by 2 then O'Shea or Walsh final depending among the forwards.

toby47

Kilkenny is definitely in the mix, possible the only Dub in the mix?

I would also have Grugan marginally over O'Neill, I think he was more consistent.

Derry had a few possibilities going into the weekends game. McKaigue, McCloskey, Rodgers, McGuigan, Glass. I can only see Derry getting 2 maximum now.

GK spot hasn't got many takers, going to be a Derry and Galway keepers are ruled out, cant see Comerford. Possibly between Murphy/Rafferty?

Kerry - O'Shea, Clifford(both?), O'Sullivan, Morley. O Beaglaioch really threw himself in the mix yesterday too.

Galway - Kelly, Daly, Conroy, Comer. Maybe McDaid?

An Fhairche Abu

The numbers for All Star team depends on the outcome of the final (for example we've had years where a one point win for a team after a close game will flip 3 players from one to the other) but provided Galway aren't hammered out the gate or he has an absolute stinker, then if John Daly doesn't get an All Star this year it'll just prove that unless you are one of the two or three "name" players on the teams outside of Kerry/Dublin/Mayo/Tyrone then you aren't considered. He has been absolutely immense for three games in a row against Roscommon, Armagh and Derry and should walk onto the All Star team.

Similarly there is another player who mightn't be reeled off as one of the two or three high profile "known" Derry men but McCluskey should 100% get an All Star, outstanding defender and from what I saw up close on Saturday he can do it without any of the off the ball nonsense either, would love to have him lining out in maroon.

Glass played himself out of an All Star Saturday evening I think, very disappointing performance from his and a Derry point of view.

yellowcard

Quote from: toby47 on July 11, 2022, 09:05:15 AM
Kilkenny is definitely in the mix, possible the only Dub in the mix?

I would also have Grugan marginally over O'Neill, I think he was more consistent.

Derry had a few possibilities going into the weekends game. McKaigue, McCloskey, Rodgers, McGuigan, Glass. I can only see Derry getting 2 maximum now.

GK spot hasn't got many takers, going to be a Derry and Galway keepers are ruled out, cant see Comerford. Possibly between Murphy/Rafferty?

Kerry - O'Shea, Clifford(both?), O'Sullivan, Morley. O Beaglaioch really threw himself in the mix yesterday too.

Galway - Kelly, Daly, Conroy, Comer. Maybe McDaid?

I'd agree with nearly all of those names. Armagh will do well to get one All Star having been knocked out in the QFs. If they do then I think it will probably be Rafferty that wins it in goals. Rian O'Neill, Grugan, Morgan and soupy will probably get nominated but I don't see any of them winning awards. If Galway actually win the AI then that QF match takes on a lot greater significance though. Dublin and Derry will likely get a token award each, probably Kilkenny for Dublin and McKaigue for Derry. Derry could possibly squeeze out another award depending on how the final goes. 

galwayman

A lot will depend on the final. A good performance can get lads in while a bad one can see someone who has been doing well miss out.
I think Comer is probably the one certainty in the Galway team at the moment.
Molloy and McHugh have both been exceptional for us this year as well I'd have them in contention anyway leading into the final.
John Daly has been absolutely immense for us this year - the one doubt I have is that outside of Galway I get the feeling that he is underrated. Not a household name so may not get the credit he deserves.

Onthe40

Rafferty

Rogers
McKaigue
O Sullivan
Molloy
O Beagleach
Daly

Conroy
OConnor (if he has good final..got through a lot of unseen work yesterday.. and no real outstanding midfielders this year)

Clifford
Comer
OShea
Kilkenny
P Clifford (if he has good final)
Finnerty (if he has good final)

Gavin whites injuries will rule him out I think..fully fit and playing all year and he's in