The Advanced Mark rule

Started by JoG2, February 11, 2022, 12:59:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Advanced Mark rule, are you for or against?

FOR
4 (9.1%)
AGAINST
40 (90.9%)

Total Members Voted: 44

RedHand88

Quote from: ONeill on April 16, 2022, 11:21:24 PM
There was an incident tonight where a Fermanagh man caught the ball and McQuillan blew the whistle. So the Erne lad stopped to take the mark but didn't signal he was going to. McGeary was beside him and slapped the ball out of his hands after a few seconds for that reason. McQuillan moved the ball forward. McGeary remonstrated that yer man didn't signal it.

Was Joe correct?

No.

Smokin Joe

There was an incident tonight where a Fermanagh man caught the ball and McQuillan blew the whistle. So the Erne lad stopped to take the mark but didn't signal he was going to. McGeary was beside him and slapped the ball out of his hands after a few seconds for that reason. McQuillan moved the ball forward. McGeary remonstrated that yer man didn't signal it.

Was Joe correct?

Yes.  You have to give the forward room to take 4 steps unopposed, otherwise it's a free kick.

smort

Which is it then? 1 vote each so far

JoG2

Quote from: Smokin Joe on April 17, 2022, 08:54:19 AM

Was Joe correct?

Yes.  You have to give the forward room to take 4 steps unopposed, otherwise it's a free kick.

4 steps yes, unless in the big square. Though I can't mind the incident

tyrone08

Was Joe correct?

If he didn't signal for the mark then mcgeary was right to tackle him surely as he wasn't aware thst he called for a mark.

JoG2

Quote from: tyrone08 on April 17, 2022, 09:58:16 AM

Was Joe correct?

If he didn't signal for the mark then mcgeary was right to tackle him surely as he wasn't aware thst he called for a mark.

Incorrect. Smokin Joe is a rules ninja, pay heed

twohands!!!

Quote2.12 Mark
The Referee shall award a Mark in either of the following circumstances:

(i) When a player catches the ball cleanly from a kick-out, without it touching the ground, on or past the 45m line nearest the kick-out point.

or

(ii) When a player catches the ball cleanly on or inside a 45m line from a kick in play (i.e. not from set-play) delivered by an attacking player on or beyond the opposing team's 45m line, that travels at least 20m and without it touching the ground.

The following procedures shall apply:
(a) Free Kick
The player shall signify to the Referee if he is availing of the free-kick by immediately raising his arm upright and then taking the kick himself from the hands. The free kick
shall be taken from the point where the Mark is awarded except in the case of a Mark awarded to an attacking team inside a 13m line when the free shall be taken from
the point on the 13m line directly in line with where the Mark is awarded.

Once the player indicates he is taking the 'Mark', the Referee shall allow up to fifteen seconds for the player to take the kick. If the player delays longer than fifteen seconds, the Referee shall cancel the 'Mark' and throw in the ball between a player from each side.
Once the player indicates he is taking the 'Mark', the opposing players must retreat 13m to allow the player space to take the kick. If an opposing player deliberately blocks or attempts to block the kick within 13m, or if an opposing player impedes the player while he is taking the kick, the Referee shall penalise the opposing team by bringing the ball forward 13m, up to opponents' 13m line.
If the Referee determines that the player who makes the Mark has been injured in the process and is unable to take the kick, the Referee shall direct the player's nearest team mate to take the kick, but this may only be allowed in exceptional circumstances.
A score may be made from a free awarded for a Mark.

(b) Play on immediately
(i) In this circumstance the player may not be challenged for the ball until he carries the ball up to a maximum of four consecutive steps or holds the ball for no longer than the time needed to take four  steps and/or makes one act of kicking, hand-passing, bouncing or toe-tapping the ball.
(ii) If the Player is illegally challenged, a free kick shall be awarded to his team from  the point at which the challenge is made, and this free kick may be taken by any player on his team.

Exception:
(b)(i) and (ii) above shall not apply when a player opts to play on immediately from a Mark awarded in either the large or small rectangle

From the rule-book.

If the player doesn't signal that he is going to take the free-kick (by raising his arm) then section (b) the rules relating to playing-on apply.

If McGeary tackled him before the four steps or time for four steps elapsed it was a free kick.

The free kick should have been from where the challenge occured but could have been brought forward for dissent (especially if McGeary was remonstrating)

Based on the description, it sounds like McGeary doesn't know the rules relating to the mark.

ONeill

Didn't know that meself now.

However, yer man stood still, like as if it was a mark. Can see how confusion arises.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

tyrone08

Quote from: twohands!!! on April 17, 2022, 10:15:20 AM
Quote2.12 Mark
The Referee shall award a Mark in either of the following circumstances:

(i) When a player catches the ball cleanly from a kick-out, without it touching the ground, on or past the 45m line nearest the kick-out point.

or

(ii) When a player catches the ball cleanly on or inside a 45m line from a kick in play (i.e. not from set-play) delivered by an attacking player on or beyond the opposing team's 45m line, that travels at least 20m and without it touching the ground.

The following procedures shall apply:
(a) Free Kick
The player shall signify to the Referee if he is availing of the free-kick by immediately raising his arm upright and then taking the kick himself from the hands. The free kick
shall be taken from the point where the Mark is awarded except in the case of a Mark awarded to an attacking team inside a 13m line when the free shall be taken from
the point on the 13m line directly in line with where the Mark is awarded.

Once the player indicates he is taking the 'Mark', the Referee shall allow up to fifteen seconds for the player to take the kick. If the player delays longer than fifteen seconds, the Referee shall cancel the 'Mark' and throw in the ball between a player from each side.
Once the player indicates he is taking the 'Mark', the opposing players must retreat 13m to allow the player space to take the kick. If an opposing player deliberately blocks or attempts to block the kick within 13m, or if an opposing player impedes the player while he is taking the kick, the Referee shall penalise the opposing team by bringing the ball forward 13m, up to opponents' 13m line.
If the Referee determines that the player who makes the Mark has been injured in the process and is unable to take the kick, the Referee shall direct the player's nearest team mate to take the kick, but this may only be allowed in exceptional circumstances.
A score may be made from a free awarded for a Mark.

(b) Play on immediately
(i) In this circumstance the player may not be challenged for the ball until he carries the ball up to a maximum of four consecutive steps or holds the ball for no longer than the time needed to take four  steps and/or makes one act of kicking, hand-passing, bouncing or toe-tapping the ball.
(ii) If the Player is illegally challenged, a free kick shall be awarded to his team from  the point at which the challenge is made, and this free kick may be taken by any player on his team.

Exception:
(b)(i) and (ii) above shall not apply when a player opts to play on immediately from a Mark awarded in either the large or small rectangle

From the rule-book.

If the player doesn't signal that he is going to take the free-kick (by raising his arm) then section (b) the rules relating to playing-on apply.

If McGeary tackled him before the four steps or time for four steps elapsed it was a free kick.

The free kick should have been from where the challenge occured but could have been brought forward for dissent (especially if McGeary was remonstrating)

Based on the description, it sounds like McGeary doesn't know the rules relating to the mark.

Cheers. It does seem confusing. If the player doesn't take the mark why should the defender have to wait 4 steps to make a challenge.

The defender has to watch for the mark then count the attacking player taking 4 steps before they can make a challenge. All this hast to be completed within a few seconds.

David McKeown

At least he was consistent with it. McShane rose to claim a mark but didn't claim for it and appeared to be playing on. The Fermanagh defender (number 6) tackled him and then either a free or mark was awarded. Fermanagh defender complained and free was moved up.

Interestingly I thought McQuillian played the advantage on a couple of marks as well which is obviously wrong because I couldn't see any obvious free on them.

In the Kildare v Armagh league game he let a Kildare player set up to take a free kick from the ground (indicating so) only to change his mind when the wind started up again. So it's clear he doesn't know at least one basic rule.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Rossfan

The simplest thing to do is abolish the "advanced" mark as the rule as quoted would need a years studying to operate it.
Keep it fir high fetches at midfield though.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

gallsman

Quote from: tyrone08 on April 17, 2022, 11:25:51 AM
Cheers. It does seem confusing. If the player doesn't take the mark why should the defender have to wait 4 steps to make a challenge.

The defender has to watch for the mark then count the attacking player taking 4 steps before they can make a challenge. All this hast to be completed within a few seconds.

You're confusing the mark and the free kick that can be awarded/claimed as a result of the mark. There is a "reward" for making the catch whether or not the player avails themself of the free.

ONeill

In this case, the Fermanagh player fielded, Joe blew, the player didn't put hand up but stopped dead as if to take the mark.

If this is OK, then why put the hand up at all.

Milltown Row2

Once the ref blows, the players have to move away.

Regardless of him calling the mark, if the player raises the hand he has 15 seconds to play ball
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ONeill

So if the ref blows, and you don't raise your hand, how long have you before you can be tackled? If standing still.