The Advanced Mark rule

Started by JoG2, February 11, 2022, 12:59:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Advanced Mark rule, are you for or against?

FOR
4 (9.1%)
AGAINST
40 (90.9%)

Total Members Voted: 44

JoG2

Don't actually think I've spoken to anyone who is keen on this rule. For me it changes the game too much. Free flowing game, ball goes in, mark is called, entire game stops. I'm interested to see what the percentages are like for 'for' and 'against' and if anyone is happy with the rule, why?

Mario

The aim of it was 60 yards balls into the full forward line increasing high fielding, a throw back to 90s gaa. In reality it's 20m pop passes into a man's chest that stops the play and gets a handy score. Stupid rule.

tiempo

Bullshit rule grossly unfair to defenders and as mentioned elsewhere, under todays rules does Canavan score the goal in 05 AIF or does Mulligan take a mark and handy point? But i'll say it again, first and foremost its an absolute kick in the balls to defenders who already have to play without any kind of offside type safety net afforded to other sports, the art of defending is sometimes losing the first chance to win the ball but getting back in position to apply pressure, dispossess etc. some perfectly good defending being punished

lurganblue

I dont know a single person who likes this rule.

clubman21

Quote from: JoG2 on February 11, 2022, 12:59:43 PM
Don't actually think I've spoken to anyone who is keen on this rule. For me it changes the game too much. Free flowing game, ball goes in, mark is called, entire game stops. I'm interested to see what the percentages are like for 'for' and 'against' and if anyone is happy with the rule, why?
Would be for it as a player, extra dimension to attacks, doesn't have to come down from the clouds. Majority of players went through a bad run of defensive football that is now transitioning back to expansive football. Encourages man to man battle inside rather than 15 men camped inside the scoring zone.

general_lee

Quote from: Mario on February 11, 2022, 01:16:53 PM
The aim of it was 60 yards balls into the full forward line increasing high fielding, a throw back to 90s gaa. In reality it's 20m pop passes into a man's chest that stops the play and gets a handy score. Stupid rule.
Horrible rule. You've hit the nail on the head. Even if someone does field a high pass, the play is ruined by the delay in taking a free kick.

Blowitupref

A error by those in power to bring it in and need to get rid of it ASAP.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Itchy

I like it. I think county teams have yet to really work adequately on it to their advantage.

jmk

Quote from: general_lee on February 11, 2022, 05:39:19 PM
Horrible rule. You've hit the nail on the head. Even if someone does field a high pass, the play is ruined by the delay in taking a free kick.
Very few of these marks are the result of outfielding an opponent in a contested situation. most are chest high balls to men in space. The reward to the forward is too great IMO

lenny

Quote from: jmk on February 11, 2022, 08:16:13 PM
Very few of these marks are the result of outfielding an opponent in a contested situation. most are chest high balls to men in space. The reward to the forward is too great IMO

How many of them are we seeing. I've seen plenty of matches without one happening. The problem is it's pretty difficult to execute the pass with the precision required. Shane Walsh had a brilliant 40 yard pass into an inside forward against Down and it resulted in a deserved score. Steelstown got 2 or 3 I think in the All Ireland intermediate final and those came about from great movement in the forwards and accuracy of pass. To me it's not really a massive issue as for most games I've seen you might get one or 2 maximum and it's not having a major impact.

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: jmk on February 11, 2022, 08:16:13 PM

This is it exactly. We have an ugly, interrupted spectacle as men are rewarded for executing very basic, unremarkable skills under little pressure.

And when you can win a free in the scoring zone with an easy short pass into a man in a pocket of space, why would you ever try to land a high ball in on top of your FF line? It encourages the type of conservative, low risk football that we all complain about.

It needs to go.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

thewobbler

Bottom line.

Whatever the rule was introduced to do, it hasn't done it.

So change it. Or get rid  of it. But there's no reason to maintain it.

Milltown Row2

I've seen no improvement, in fact most players (in games I'm involved in) miss their free shot, I've noticed more quick frees to lads in better positions.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: thewobbler on February 11, 2022, 11:57:28 PM
Bottom line.

Whatever the rule was introduced to do, it hasn't done it.

So change it. Or get rid  of it. But there's no reason to maintain it.
This. I'm completely unsure as to what the problem was the mark was designed to fix. There is too much tinkering going on.

ONeill

There was an incident tonight where a Fermanagh man caught the ball and McQuillan blew the whistle. So the Erne lad stopped to take the mark but didn't signal he was going to. McGeary was beside him and slapped the ball out of his hands after a few seconds for that reason. McQuillan moved the ball forward. McGeary remonstrated that yer man didn't signal it.

Was Joe correct?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.