For the love of Wexford...

Started by 30mog, July 20, 2014, 12:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

30mog

Greetings from Sheffield!

With live televised GAA on offer from Sky Sports, Premier Sports & occasionally BBC NI.  I have really taken to watching both codes.  Furthermore, I made a trip over to Kilkenny & Croke Park earlier in the summer. Suddenly, I am finding other sport, even the recent World Cup, a yawn to watch!

Now then.  There are plenty of people far outside England who like The FA Premiership - if that's the case who am I to stop them?  Funny how they all suddenly don the shirt and know every player of a select few members of the FAPL.  A select few that tends not to include West Bromwich Albion or Crystal Palace.  Am I right in thinking a comparable scenario in GAA Football might be for me to declare I am now a Dublin fan! No my choice is actually Wexford!  Don't know why it just felt good doing so.  The football may be over for this year, but as I like the Hurling much too what a three weeks I have enjoyed!  The first game in which I got into the Wexford spirit was the Hurling defeat by Dublin.

Anyway, I am proud to say I am staying Wexford!  And, like to think I am not just a glory hunter, having picked a WBA rather than an MU sort of team.  Still don't know why Wexford.  My grandfather was born in Nottingham, it is thought his mother or grandmother was an Irish immigrant in Nottingham, so potentially I am as Irish as Muhammed Ali, or not quite.  Wouldn't it be funny if she came from Wexford.  A matter on which research in ongoing.  Any single women from Wexford reading this?  Funny if I were to migrate there for the love of Wexford!

armaghniac

As Wexford are the underdogs, support for them is widely acceptable.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

thejuice

Well it is the sunnier part of the country at least. I don't there is anyone who holds much of a grudge against Wexford.

You missed out on seeing the great Mattie Forde, probably one of the best players in GAelic Football over the last decade. He retired a couple of years ago.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d_EIfJwzDXI

That video is of a time when he took us (Meath) apart in 2008 and pretty much ruined our season.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

AZOffaly

I don't like Wexford. A few unfriendly receptions down in Wexford park (and the obligatory beatings too)

thejuice

Well don't mind what anyone from Offaly says.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Shrewdness

The same goes for people from a place called Mayo. They're the people who lose the football final every year

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Shrewdness on July 21, 2014, 12:09:34 AM
The same goes for people from a place called Mayo. They're the people who lose the football final every year

Usually beating people from a place called Roscommon along the way.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

armaghniac

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 21, 2014, 12:11:10 AM
Quote from: Shrewdness on July 21, 2014, 12:09:34 AM

Usually beating people from a place called Roscommon along the way.

Often including people from Roscommon in your team and still not winning an AI. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

highorlow

QuoteOften including people from Roscommon in your team and still not winning an AI.

.....and sometimes passing on our older semi retired players to help out the weaker counties!
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 20, 2014, 06:41:36 PM
I don't like Wexford. A few unfriendly receptions down in Wexford park (and the obligatory beatings too)

A few of my Wexford mates really hate Offaly. It's as if they could just about stomach losing to Kilkenny but not this crowd of upstarts!