Declan Ryan quits Tipperary hurling job

Started by Ash Smoker, September 01, 2012, 09:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ash Smoker

Ryan quits Tipperary hurling job

Saturday, September 01, 2012 - 07:37 PM

Tipperary Senior hurling manager, Declan Ryan, has left his post.

Coach, Tommy Dunne and selector, Michael Gleeson have also stepped down from their posts.

The Tipperary County Board and the Tipperary senior hurling panel have thanked the trio for leading Tipperary to two Munster senior hurling championship successes and "their dedication and commitment in carrying out their roles during the last 2 years".

The board's statement said: "All three men have made a great contribution to the GAA in Tipperary over a long number of years and we are fortunate that men of their calibre have been willing to serve the county so generously and so loyally.

"We acknowledge the time, effort and many personal sacrifices they and their families have made in the interests of Tipperary's senior hurling fortunes and we firmly believe that their good work will lead to continued success for the county."

The board went on to wish the trio and their families well and said they looked forward to their "continued involvement with and contribution to the GAA in Tipperary".

County Chairman, Sean Nugent, will lead the search for a replacement team.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/ryan-quits-tipperary-hurling-job-565325.html

Ash Smoker

No surprises here.
Tipperary need to arrest the slide by getting someone of the calibre of Nicky English or Liam Sheedy in charge.

Bud Wiser

If the Tipp County Board had given Declan the fairly available technology to manage the team correctly they would not be looking for a past manager now. FFS, Fr. Tommy Maher was using for Kilkenny back in the 60's what the doormen on Quinns pub are using today as standard modern means of transmission of important observations. Unless a manager has the experience of someone like Cody there is a need for at least two observers to be located at strategic points/locations to relay the changes that need to be made to a manager who finds it is all over before it began.

Tradition will no longer win All-Irelands and if Tipp think that bringing back Nicky or Sheedy will change that then the 'home of hurling' will soon become, like my own county, 'the home of hopelessness'  I have no sympathy for Declan Ryan, but I have more for him than he will get in Tipperary.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

homeofhurling8

A non story really considering his 2 year term was up, i hope Deccie is remembered as he should be, as a legend of Tipp hurling, won three All-Irelands in three decades as a player and dedicated his entire adult life to Tipperary( and Clonoulty) hurling,playing,coaching and managing, i know I'm biased,as Deccie is a friend, but his treatment since the semi final has been nothing short of a disgrace, his  dedication to Tipperary has been absolute, no financial incentive,unlike other counties, in fact managing Tipp has cost him money considering his profession, i doubt  the arseholes abusing him have ever dedicated a single second to Tipperary gaa, anyway, rant over, thanks Dec, thanks for 89,senior and U-21, thanks for 91, and thanks for 2001, and everything in between.

Bud Wiser

You have explained my sentiments better than I ever could myself. Everyone involved in hurling owes the likes of Declan Ryan, Declan Ryan owes nobody. Never met the man but I'd say he would go in his bare feet before managing another county or hogging prime position in the Cusack Premium bar telling anyone who would listen what should or should not be happening outside or casting aspersions on anyone from his own county. Only Munster final I ever went to was to see him and the team of the time play. Wish him well.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

theskull1

Great post homeofhurling. He sounds like a model GAA man. Fcuk the begrudgers
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

seafoid

A great servant to Tipp etc but they lost by 25 points or whatever it was and Tipp hurling is in trauma.
People are entitled to be disappointed within reason. 

Bud Wiser

and within reason is the crucial point you make.

homeofhurling8

I suppose it depends on your definition of reasonable, I'm about as fervent a Tipp supporter as possible, my wife,who is Italian and thinks I'm absolutely nuts, knows that she cant book anything,weekends away,holidays,birthday parties,christenings  etc.. without referring to the calendar in the kitchen which is filled in as soon as the championship draws are made and updated with league,waterford crystal,intermediate,minor,u-21 fixtures etc.. i went to 14 training sessions this year that's a 3 hour round trip from Dublin on a Tuesday/Thursday night, i would consider myself a dedicated Tipp hurling man but my dedication doesn't even register against the dedication of Deccie, his entire adult life has been dedicated to Tipp, the thought that he could possibly owe anything to the likes of the gobshite who attempted to spit in his face recently, or the pair of hard men who thought abusing him in front of children was ok because we lost a game of hurling,is ridiculous imho.

When all is said and done its an amateur game, i had a pretty feisty exchange of views with a couple of Tipp supporters in the Palace on the night of the semi-final, they were of the opinion that paying for their ticket entitled them to abuse Declan and co, I'm of the opinion that paying for your ticket entitles you to 70 minutes of entertainment and f**k all else in an amateur sport,it aint the premiership ffs.

johnneycool

Quote from: homeofhurling8 on September 02, 2012, 10:08:13 PM
I suppose it depends on your definition of reasonable, I'm about as fervent a Tipp supporter as possible, my wife,who is Italian and thinks I'm absolutely nuts, knows that she cant book anything,weekends away,holidays,birthday parties,christenings  etc.. without referring to the calendar in the kitchen which is filled in as soon as the championship draws are made and updated with league,waterford crystal,intermediate,minor,u-21 fixtures etc.. i went to 14 training sessions this year that's a 3 hour round trip from Dublin on a Tuesday/Thursday night, i would consider myself a dedicated Tipp hurling man but my dedication doesn't even register against the dedication of Deccie, his entire adult life has been dedicated to Tipp, the thought that he could possibly owe anything to the likes of the gobshite who attempted to spit in his face recently, or the pair of hard men who thought abusing him in front of children was ok because we lost a game of hurling,is ridiculous imho.

When all is said and done its an amateur game, i had a pretty feisty exchange of views with a couple of Tipp supporters in the Palace on the night of the semi-final, they were of the opinion that paying for their ticket entitled them to abuse Declan and co, I'm of the opinion that paying for your ticket entitles you to 70 minutes of entertainment and f**k all else in an amateur sport,it aint the premiership ffs.

Entirely correct HOH8, no one has any right to abuse anyone even if they do pay their way in through the gate.

If some arsehole spat at me I'd make sure their next spit was through a gaping set of teeth, despicable hoor shouldn't be let in the gates of any club in Ireland.

Premier Emperor

It's a pity people will try to judge Declan on 35 minutes of one game, where things went badly wrong.
In his 2 years in charge, Tipperary had a 100% record in Munster and only lost to one county in championship.

Liam Sheedy lost a Munster Championship game to Cork by 10 points 2 years ago, but had a safety net to allow him recover from it. Kilkenny were beaten out the gate in Leinster, but had the luxury of a 2nd chance.

If we were playing Kilkenny again in a week's time, it would be as close as Tipp-Kilkenny games usually are.

johnneycool

On the home of hurling thread there was talk of how passionate Tipperary fans were about hurling and sometimes that manifests itself in ugly and irrational ways.
After 2010 and an exceptional U-21 team the expectations from Tipp people were that they'd go onto win more AI's. That hasn't happened yet and Deccy seems to be the object for that frustration. I'm sure Deccy will admit to his own mistakes a few weeks back, but he didn't send so many talented hurlers out to under perform as they did and you would struggle to name a Tipp hurler who had a decent 70 minutes let alone a good game.

Colombia

I hear Eamonn O'Shea's name being linked with this, that might be a salve to the wounds.

homeofhurling8

I think that's why we haven't had any mention of retirements Colombia, i think the players have been tipped the nod that Eamonn is on board, I hope so anyway, not least because i threw a sizable chunk of the kids inheritance on him ;),  i believe the county board are finalising his selectors at the moment, they are being very thorough as i know of at least four lads who have been sounded out about their interest.

johnneycool

Quote from: homeofhurling8 on September 17, 2012, 04:06:06 PM
I think that's why we haven't had any mention of retirements Colombia, i think the players have been tipped the nod that Eamonn is on board, I hope so anyway, not least because i threw a sizable chunk of the kids inheritance on him ;),  i believe the county board are finalising his selectors at the moment, they are being very thorough as i know of at least four lads who have been sounded out about their interest.

I know Tipp are a huge county, but how on gods earth can you get a man in to manage the team and then let the county board elect selectors to go with him?

Does the manager have final say on who the selectors are?

who says they'll all pull together?

I'd have thought the days to a commmiitteee gathered round the sideline, some on bended knee talking about changes etc had gone?