Amazon Kindle

Started by Ash Smoker, April 22, 2011, 12:08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ash Smoker

Does anyone have one of these and how do they find them to use?
I have looked on Amazon and it seems I have to buy it in from the USA, but then buy the books off amazon.co.uk
With all the postage charges and import tax, it starts to become expensive.

Is there a cheaper way of acquiring one?

AbbeySider

Quote from: Ash Smoker on April 22, 2011, 12:08:51 PM
I have looked on Amazon and it seems I have to buy it in from the USA, but then buy the books off amazon.co.uk

I phones and Androids have Kindle readers!
Im sure you could download one instead of buying the hardware

Hardy

Quote from: AbbeySider on April 22, 2011, 12:35:24 PM
Quote from: Ash Smoker on April 22, 2011, 12:08:51 PM

I phones and Androids have Kindle readers!
Im sure you could download one instead of buying the hardware

There's a free PC version as well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=kcp_pc_mkt_lnd?docId=1000426311

Ash Smoker

Thanks. I'm still in the dark ages having neither an iPhone or an Android.
I could get it on my pc, but that's hardly handy for carrying around.

Stevie Nicks

I bought one for the missus and they are a good job, the Kindle was around 110quid and then it is easy to buy/download books on it with wi-fi.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Stevie Nicks on April 22, 2011, 01:20:04 PM
I bought one for the missus and they are a good job, the Kindle was around 110quid and then it is easy to buy/download books on it with wi-fi.

How much are the books, and can you buy them in dollars from the States?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 22, 2011, 01:30:21 PM
Quote from: Stevie Nicks on April 22, 2011, 01:20:04 PM

How much are the books, and can you buy them in dollars from the States?

Yeah you can get books from amazon.com as well. Just click to buy and it automatically arrives onto your kindle in seconds.

Puckoon

I bought herself a barnes and noble "nook" by accident at christmas as the kindles were all gone. It appears to have gone down better than the kindle would have. I offered to exchange it for the kindle in the new year and she said having tried both of them she preferred the nook.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/index.asp

rrhf

I think people are mad to spend this money on what is effectively technology gone backwards, In my day we had these so called kindles in the history class.  They were called Microfiche/ film readers at that time. You can pick up a second hand fiche or film reader for the £50 mark, to do exactly the same job, just make sure the bulb still works, or if you really dont want to read a book take up swimming.   

RMDrive

The kindle is brilliant.

NetNitrate

For a pure reading experience the kindle is better. It uses e-ink, ie it is not backlit. So technically it is the same reading experience as print. You'd need the light on to read in bed. The new colour Nook and the iPad are backlit and after a while would burn the eyes out of your head. A lot of books are free on the Kindle, especially public domain books. So you can read a lot of the classics for free. I think the Irish Times is the only Irish newspaper available on the Kindle. The other great thing is no one knows what your reading because they can't see the cover so you don't have people in buses and trains looking at the cover of your book and trying to size you up based on what you are reading. I think it's a great device. It's also starting to do to book publishers what the the likes of iTunes did to the record companies. No harm. It and other devices like it however will also be the death of book shops, unfortunately.

AFS

Quote from: NetNitrate on April 22, 2011, 06:10:25 PM
For a pure reading experience the kindle is better. It uses e-ink, ie it is not backlit. So technically it is the same reading experience as print. You'd need the light on to read in bed. The new colour Nook and the iPad are backlit and after a while would burn the eyes out of your head. A lot of books are free on the Kindle, especially public domain books. So you can read a lot of the classics for free. I think the Irish Times is the only Irish newspaper available on the Kindle. The other great thing is no one knows what your reading because they can't see the cover so you don't have people in buses and trains looking at the cover of your book and trying to size you up based on what you are reading. I think it's a great device. It's also starting to do to book publishers what the the likes of iTunes did to the record companies. No harm. It and other devices like it however will also be the death of book shops, unfortunately.

Amazon have been killing book shops long before the Kindle came about.

Tony Baloney

The missus got me the wi-fi Kindle for my birthday last month and I've still to use it in anger. Still, I think it's a great piece of kit but I'll need to invest on one of the wee clip-on lights.

Hurler on the Bitch

I have one and am becoming addicted to it ... will get a good run out on holiday. One thing though is that there are quite a few typos in the text - ie in hyphenated words and format. But will eventually become the thing to have when travelling and at home.

Ash Smoker

Thanks for all the responses. Did you all buy them from the .co.uk site or from the .com American site?