Mayo! f**king Hell

Started by Feckitt, April 26, 2010, 05:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

Quote from: ross matt on April 26, 2010, 08:03:59 PM
At least they made the finals listed. In doing so they had to beat alot of good teams along the way. For some of the finals they simply were'nt good enough to win them. Yesterday was an example as was the '04 & '06 AI finals. There's no shame in that. Obviously AI's '96 (drawn & replay) were the ones that got away. In '97 they played badly against a poor Kerry side. The point is they over achieved in some cases by reaching these finals in the first place.

But if you turned the stats in the first post on their head it shows them to be a county that's mad about football and have the persistence and focus to keep bouncing back. Eventually those attributes will pay off and they'll win an AI when they've the players capable of doing so. Advancing the "final hoodoo" theory will only mean it will become a self fulfilling prophesy. I think that's what O'Mahony was trying to get across in his post match interview yesterday.

+1

(Jeez, I have been looking for an excuse to use that since it first began to appear on the board!) ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

mckieran

QuoteAnd we'll f**king celebrate like mad whenever it happens.

Christ, theres a day I hope I never see

moysider

Quote from: mckieran on April 27, 2010, 12:39:07 AM
QuoteAnd we'll f**king celebrate like mad whenever it happens.

Christ, theres a day I hope I never see

Why? Don't remember anybody I know being upset when ye won.   

Pangurban

Very impressed with Mayo yesterday, some fine footballers, just seem to lack that little bit of grit when the game starts to against them , but they are at the top table and deservingly so, with a little help from lady luck which all teams need, success is not far off

Logan

Quote from: muppet on April 26, 2010, 07:39:37 PM
Quote from: Logan on April 26, 2010, 07:36:21 PM
Quote from: mannix on April 26, 2010, 07:26:29 PM

we know about the losses, can you enlighten us as to why this is the way Mayo play their finals?

1. Failure to perform in Croke Park?*
2. 'Choke' in games where silverware is at stake?
3. Standard of Football in Connacht hasn't been as good as Ulster or Munster?**

* Would all except the U21 final have been played in Croke Park - exception the League win?

** Before Mayo/Connacht people jump my back again - looking at the results it's approx 50-50 loss to Ulster/Munster teams in Championship finals - so this means that certainly before the back door the chances were that Mayo beat a Leinster team, but failed at a Munster/Ulster team? Or perhaps the finals those years were easier runs to the final?

Did you know that there was Gaa before 1991?
Did you notice some of those losses were in back to back years so therefore impossible to avoid 2 of 3 provinces?
Do you actually think about stuff?
You mustn't read or think much before you type yourself ...
I'll repeat myself for you - 2 reasons (a) avoided Ulster/Munster (esp pre backdoor) or (b) had easier paths to the final
Of course you'll conveniently avoid the choking tag or inability to perform in Croke Park on big day question.

But I'm sure you have the real answer and will tell us any time now ....

Chimley

Quote from: Logan on April 27, 2010, 05:31:35 AM

we know about the losses, can you enlighten us as to why this is the way Mayo play their finals?

* Would all except the U21 final have been played in Croke Park - exception the League win?

** Before Mayo/Connacht people jump my back again - looking at the results it's approx 50-50 loss to Ulster/Munster teams in Championship finals - so this means that certainly before the back door the chances were that Mayo beat a Leinster team, but failed at a Munster/Ulster team? Or perhaps the finals those years were easier runs to the final?

Did you notice some of those losses were in back to back years so therefore impossible to avoid 2 of 3 provinces?
I'll repeat myself for you - 2 reasons (a) avoided Ulster/Munster (esp pre backdoor) or (b) had easier paths to the final
Of course you'll conveniently avoid the choking tag or inability to perform in Croke Park on big day question.

You were guilty of lazy analysis on the other thread and have continued the theme here.

1: Failure to perform in Croke Park.

If you get to an All-Ireland final (U21  & League Excepted) you must win at least 1 game in Croke Park and more since the backdoor was introduced. Teams that fail to perform in Croke Park will never get to a final.

2: Choke in games with silverware at stake.

This is a good point and the only pertinent one you make.

3. Standard of Football in Connacht hasn't been as good as Ulster or Munster

In general that is true. it has not stopped Galway winning senior U21 and minor all-irelands in the last decade. Roscommon have also won minor all-ireland and even mayo have won an U21. Without going too deeply into my memory banks, I can recall Mayo beating Kerry in 96 semi-final, Tyrone in 2004 to get to 2 of the senior finals and there are many more examples in underage.

Mayos failures to win these finals has nothing to do with the standard of football within the province or Croke park jitters or they would not get as far as they did.

Clarin Pearl

The league win against Galway was only because Galway were bigger chokers than Mayo at the time(and foot & mouth). At least Galway sorted it themselves out 6 months later.

Mayo have beaten Ulster teams often enough. certainly well able.  Its the killer attitude. There are never enough mean hoors who will bust lads to get the ball. Anytime they get out of connacht, they are playing style football.

Toughen the hell up Mayo.

mckieran

QuoteWhy? Don't remember anybody I know being upset when ye won.     

I remember plenty of begrudgers in the Shrule, Kilmaine, Ballinrobe, Ballindine areas!  :)

And we had the sense not to go on about it too much - Cant see that happening in Mayo!

This could be your year though...

haranguerer

Thought paddy powers wee build up to the nfl final was amusing; along the lines of '...mayo players generally anticipate the arrival of the bus to croker in much the same way cattle wait on the lorry to the abbatoir...'  :D

muppet

Quote from: Logan on April 27, 2010, 05:31:35 AM

Pre back door 3 All-Ireland Finals involved beating Tyrone, Kerry and Offaly. Hardly avoided Ulster/Munster there did we?

Post back door we reached a final beating Tyrone (Champions) & Fermanagh to get to final. Hardly much avoiding Ulster there. 2006 we beat Laois and Dublin to get to a final.

That is 2 out of 5. Hardly a significant trend.

As for not performing in finals well we haven't in the last 3 at senior level. No one is disputing that. The choking in finals charge is just lazy like all the journalists who re-hash the same thing. These were very different teams with different players/obstacles/management etc. The only commonality was the jersey which is hardly a scientific premise for a pattern. 
MWWSI 2017

Feckitt

Main Street

Quote from: muppet on April 27, 2010, 04:10:43 PM

As for not performing in finals well we haven't in the last 3 at senior level. No one is disputing that. The choking in finals charge is just lazy like all the journalists who re-hash the same thing. These were very different teams with different players/obstacles/management etc. The only commonality was the jersey which is hardly a scientific premise for a pattern.
Remember Kilmurry-Ibrickane?

The jersey is indeed cursed  ;D

westmayo

Quote1999 All Ireland Minor Final  Down beat Mayo
2000 All Ireland Minor Final  Cork beat Mayo
2001 All Ireland U-21 Final  Tyrone beat Mayo
2004 All Ireland Senior Final  Kerry beat Mayo
2006 All Ireland Senior Final  Kerry beat Mayo
2007 National League Final  Donegal beat Mayo
2010 National League Final  Cork beat Mayo

The earlier mention of Kenneth Mortimer loosing in 11 All Ireland finals had me look back at the list there,  I think I'm correct in thinking Alan Dillion was involved in all these finals, and lost a couple of schools finals as well. It's a lot of loosing for a player on big occasions to take, and credit must be given to him to keep coming back for more every year.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Main Street on April 27, 2010, 04:30:45 PM
Quote from: muppet on April 27, 2010, 04:10:43 PM

Remember Kilmurry-Ibrickane?

The jersey is indeed cursed  ;D

Like Ballina stephenites in 2005...  ???
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: mckieran on April 27, 2010, 01:14:44 PM
QuoteWhy? Don't remember anybody I know being upset when ye won.     

I remember plenty of begrudgers in the Shrule, Kilmaine, Ballinrobe, Ballindine areas!  :)

And we had the sense not to go on about it too much - Cant see that happening in Mayo!

This could be your year though...

Ah now hey, I wouldn't mind those south Mayo towns. PS, Fearon likes to remind us all of Armagh's win in 2002. ;)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.