Liam Hayes

Started by 5 Sams, September 27, 2009, 07:10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on September 29, 2009, 03:00:43 PM
Quote from: Mike Sheehy on September 29, 2009, 05:42:57 AM
No doubt it was mouthy t**ts like yourself that were barracking the Kerry team.....it was a disgrace and ye treated Dublin almost as badly before that. Tramps the lot of ye !
i thought we'd got rid of this tool

why dont you stick to talking shite about soccer dipshit ...

Mike Sheehy

from www.irishnews.com

AS I suggested in last week's column, the distinct possibility of my prediction of a Cork win being inaccurate was all too evident long before the 5pm finishing time.

Virtually all of the concerns surrounding this particular Cork team, which could have been laid to rest with one big performance, came back to haunt them – not draped in a white sheet rather dressed in that spooky green and gold.

While the psychological battle was always going to prove a major stumbling block for the Rebels, ironically, especially in the light of the intensity they brought to our game, they failed miserably in this department too.

Additionally, as I alluded to last week, Cork's launchpad for success this season had been built upon a clever and well-executed kick-out strategy. I suggested that Kerry had clearly spiked Dublin's efficiency in this area and would disrupt this aspect of Cork's game plan.

When their first two kick-outs were lost to Seamus Scanlon, the discomfort they would experience for the rest of the afternoon in this department began to unfold.

The fact that Darran O'Sullivan actually fielded the third Cork kick-out amongst the land of giants only served to exacerbate this disruption.

Scanlon, with two more possessions and Galvin chipping in with another, meant that, of Cork's first seven kick-outs, the only success they had was a free against Dara O Se on the fifth kick.

Despite the fact that Kerry weren't capitalising on this supremacy with resultant scores, you could almost sense the storm clouds gathering over the Rebel psyche. Even when Cork did get possession at this stage, from their first nine attacks they only mustered one point from play to go with an Alan O'Connor free.

Ironically, two of their next three attacks had all the hallmarks of a team about to fulfil their ambition.

Paddy Kelly kicked a magnificent point while being forced away from the goals on the wrong side for a right-footed kicker.

This was quickly followed by an amazingly confident strike for goal by young Colm O'Neill. It very much looked like this had to be Cork's day.

If the lack of composure and control being experienced on their kick-outs was psychologically damaging to this Cork team, then this five-point lead was the perfect antidote.

Remember this was a team still bearing the scars of a devastating defeat in the 2007 final and this cushion would ensure that, unlike the last time, they would at least be still in the game by half-time.

Unfortunately for Cork, and the rest of the expectant capacity crowd, that's exactly all that it achieved. From that moment of apparent strength from the Rebels' perspective, Kerry bossed virtually the rest of the game.

Cork followers, and many other neutral observers, will suggest that the Kingdom were the beneficiaries of a few of the proverbial handy frees.

Dubious or not, they steadied the ship for Kerry and when Cork's next 12 attacks only returned a meagre two pointed frees, it was obvious that the tide had turned.

With the kick-out statistics for Cork remaining bleak (three from 11 and four from 13) the confidence with which the Leesiders entered the game was visibly draining from them.

The virtual collapse of Cork's middle eight is probably the most inexplicable nature of this defeat. Graham Canty's surges forward, which were a trademark of the team all season, evaporated as he had to attend to an ever-increasing influence emanating from Tadhg Kennelly.

Miskella and O'Leary were equally occupied with Darran O'Sullivan and Paul Galvin and seldom were able to break the gain line.

With Alan O'Connor and Nicholas Murphy struggling with a vastly improved Seamus Scanlon and the hugely experienced Dara O Se, my assumption last week that Cork's middle eight would dictate matters in this department was becoming totally flawed.

Almost more unbelievably was the total absence of the quality half-forward line we had seen all season from a distance and felt the impact of ourselves at first hand in the semi-final. Paul Kerrigan, whose searing pace had burnt up defences all season made no impact and was replaced during the second half.

Paddy Kelly, despite a wonderful score in the first half, exhibited none of the industry and scavenging desire which epitomised his play all year.

When Mike McCarthy rendered Pearse O'Neill anonymous then the demise was complete. While it was always possible that some of this middle quartet would lose their potential battles, I could never have envisaged such a wipe-out.

Ironically, despite such an underachieving performance in this sector, with 15 minutes to go there was only one point in the game. When Donnacha O'Connor's attempt to equalise was blocked by Marc O Se, it was almost as if Cork accepted their fate.

From there until the final whistle, Kerry were the dominant force and I couldn't help but think this was role reversal if I ever saw it. The energy which the Rebels unleashed on us was absent from their play and was blowing in their faces.

Dubious refereeing decisions courtesy of John Bannon in the semi-final had them on the receiving end this time. Think the unpunished foul on Nicholas Murphy in the first 10 seconds of the game, the debatable rubs of the green for some of Kerry's
significant and always scoreable frees, the Darran O'Sullivan point after a clear double bounce.

Many things contribute to the outcome of a game but, as Brian Cody often reminds us, there is only one time to be ahead and that is at the final whistle. Kerry have done that for the 36th time in their history and the fifth time this decade and for that, they can only be admired.

Minors' major feat

I WOULD like to offer my sincere congratulations to the all-conquering Armagh minor team after their remarkable season.

Of course this was climaxed by them lifting the Tom Markham Cup for the first time in 60 years, but it should also be remembered that this team completed their season undefeated.

The fact that this feat includes the Ulster Minor League, the Ulster Championship and the All-Ireland series in addition to challenge matches says a lot about their determination to succeed.

To achieve this with any team would be commendable but to do it with a minor team, an age group who are notorious for having great performances followed by others not nearly of that standard, is a credit to them and their management team led by Paul McShane.

I wish them well in the future just as Benny Tierney would wish for Tyrone teams!

what a mendacious gobshite this fellas is....basically he is saying that Cork didnt show up and Kerry were favoured by the ref

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: Sandino on September 29, 2009, 03:14:16 PM
Mike make sure and introduce yourself when you come up to Omagh.

next game is in Kerry....maybe you Tyrone lads might get a taste of your own medicine. For far too long other counties have been welcoming and respectful while ye behave like thugs.

Midman

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on September 29, 2009, 08:53:59 PM
from www.irishnews.com

AS I suggested in last week's column, the distinct possibility of my prediction of a Cork win being inaccurate was all too evident long before the 5pm finishing time.

Virtually all of the concerns surrounding this particular Cork team, which could have been laid to rest with one big performance, came back to haunt them – not draped in a white sheet rather dressed in that spooky green and gold.

While the psychological battle was always going to prove a major stumbling block for the Rebels, ironically, especially in the light of the intensity they brought to our game, they failed miserably in this department too.

Additionally, as I alluded to last week, Cork's launchpad for success this season had been built upon a clever and well-executed kick-out strategy. I suggested that Kerry had clearly spiked Dublin's efficiency in this area and would disrupt this aspect of Cork's game plan.

When their first two kick-outs were lost to Seamus Scanlon, the discomfort they would experience for the rest of the afternoon in this department began to unfold.

The fact that Darran O'Sullivan actually fielded the third Cork kick-out amongst the land of giants only served to exacerbate this disruption.

Scanlon, with two more possessions and Galvin chipping in with another, meant that, of Cork's first seven kick-outs, the only success they had was a free against Dara O Se on the fifth kick.

Despite the fact that Kerry weren't capitalising on this supremacy with resultant scores, you could almost sense the storm clouds gathering over the Rebel psyche. Even when Cork did get possession at this stage, from their first nine attacks they only mustered one point from play to go with an Alan O'Connor free.

Ironically, two of their next three attacks had all the hallmarks of a team about to fulfil their ambition.

Paddy Kelly kicked a magnificent point while being forced away from the goals on the wrong side for a right-footed kicker.

This was quickly followed by an amazingly confident strike for goal by young Colm O'Neill. It very much looked like this had to be Cork's day.

If the lack of composure and control being experienced on their kick-outs was psychologically damaging to this Cork team, then this five-point lead was the perfect antidote.

Remember this was a team still bearing the scars of a devastating defeat in the 2007 final and this cushion would ensure that, unlike the last time, they would at least be still in the game by half-time.

Unfortunately for Cork, and the rest of the expectant capacity crowd, that's exactly all that it achieved. From that moment of apparent strength from the Rebels' perspective, Kerry bossed virtually the rest of the game.

Cork followers, and many other neutral observers, will suggest that the Kingdom were the beneficiaries of a few of the proverbial handy frees.

Dubious or not, they steadied the ship for Kerry and when Cork's next 12 attacks only returned a meagre two pointed frees, it was obvious that the tide had turned.

With the kick-out statistics for Cork remaining bleak (three from 11 and four from 13) the confidence with which the Leesiders entered the game was visibly draining from them.

The virtual collapse of Cork's middle eight is probably the most inexplicable nature of this defeat. Graham Canty's surges forward, which were a trademark of the team all season, evaporated as he had to attend to an ever-increasing influence emanating from Tadhg Kennelly.

Miskella and O'Leary were equally occupied with Darran O'Sullivan and Paul Galvin and seldom were able to break the gain line.

With Alan O'Connor and Nicholas Murphy struggling with a vastly improved Seamus Scanlon and the hugely experienced Dara O Se, my assumption last week that Cork's middle eight would dictate matters in this department was becoming totally flawed.

Almost more unbelievably was the total absence of the quality half-forward line we had seen all season from a distance and felt the impact of ourselves at first hand in the semi-final. Paul Kerrigan, whose searing pace had burnt up defences all season made no impact and was replaced during the second half.

Paddy Kelly, despite a wonderful score in the first half, exhibited none of the industry and scavenging desire which epitomised his play all year.

When Mike McCarthy rendered Pearse O'Neill anonymous then the demise was complete. While it was always possible that some of this middle quartet would lose their potential battles, I could never have envisaged such a wipe-out.

Ironically, despite such an underachieving performance in this sector, with 15 minutes to go there was only one point in the game. When Donnacha O'Connor's attempt to equalise was blocked by Marc O Se, it was almost as if Cork accepted their fate.

From there until the final whistle, Kerry were the dominant force and I couldn't help but think this was role reversal if I ever saw it. The energy which the Rebels unleashed on us was absent from their play and was blowing in their faces.

Dubious refereeing decisions courtesy of John Bannon in the semi-final had them on the receiving end this time. Think the unpunished foul on Nicholas Murphy in the first 10 seconds of the game, the debatable rubs of the green for some of Kerry's
significant and always scoreable frees, the Darran O'Sullivan point after a clear double bounce.

Many things contribute to the outcome of a game but, as Brian Cody often reminds us, there is only one time to be ahead and that is at the final whistle. Kerry have done that for the 36th time in their history and the fifth time this decade and for that, they can only be admired.

Minors' major feat

I WOULD like to offer my sincere congratulations to the all-conquering Armagh minor team after their remarkable season.

Of course this was climaxed by them lifting the Tom Markham Cup for the first time in 60 years, but it should also be remembered that this team completed their season undefeated.

The fact that this feat includes the Ulster Minor League, the Ulster Championship and the All-Ireland series in addition to challenge matches says a lot about their determination to succeed.

To achieve this with any team would be commendable but to do it with a minor team, an age group who are notorious for having great performances followed by others not nearly of that standard, is a credit to them and their management team led by Paul McShane.

I wish them well in the future just as Benny Tierney would wish for Tyrone teams!

what a mendacious gobshite this fellas is....basically he is saying that Cork didnt show up and Kerry were favoured by the ref

Maybe a wee touch of paranoia there Mikey, I'll give him the frees bit (Cork maybe had to work a wee bit harder for them) but that wouldnt have affected the final outcome. He basically says Kerry had a stranglehold on Corks middle 8 where all the threat was supposed to come from. I think he called it right , Kerry didnt let Cork function and won all the crucial battles. Jesus man ye won, be happy ;D

omagh_gael

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on September 29, 2009, 08:56:40 PM

next game is in Kerry....maybe you Tyrone lads might get a taste of your own medicine. For far too long other counties have been welcoming and respectful while ye behave like thugs.

According to our local paper in Omagh the schedule for fixtures has changed this year and we are due to play yourselves, the dubs and cork in omagh. I'm sure you'll look forward to that  ;)

http://www.nwipp-newspapers.com/UH/free/309365751951157.php

longrunsthefox

I doubt if Mike would have the balls to come to Omagh  :o

omagh_gael

The aul jock straps will be selling well round the kingdom this winter no doubt  :D

red hander

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on September 29, 2009, 08:56:40 PM

'welcoming' and 'respectful' are not two words I'd associate with a bitter wee ballix like you.  Why not enjoy the fact you have Sam rather than continuing to cut yourself up over 2003, 2005 and 2008 ... and see if you do come to Omagh, can you maybe put as much money into the Tyrone economy as we do the Kerry economy every time we play you down there ... thanks

Mike Sheehy

Tyrone economy  :D :D

you silly bollix...everybody knows ye're nothing but dole scroungers up there. Probably claiming it on both sides of the border.

Sandino

Good Grief Mike our 3 All Irelands (few tho they are) have really got to you. I can assure you I will introduce myself to you anytime. I have to say the main trouble I had anytime I have been down in Kerry boosting your econemy at a game was trying to find a Kerry supporter the night before the game. Those I did meet displayed a lot more manners than you have just done.
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on September 30, 2009, 04:36:56 AM

you silly bollix...everybody knows ye're nothing but dole scroungers up there. Probably claiming it on both sides of the border.

The time of your post says it all about the sad, bitter, lonely individual you are. Get out and make some friends.   

AFS

Quote from: longrunsthefox on September 30, 2009, 07:45:44 AM

The time of your post says it all about the sad, bitter, lonely individual you are. Get out and make some friends.

...or it could say that he doesn't live in Ireland.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on September 29, 2009, 08:42:42 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on September 29, 2009, 03:00:43 PM
Quote from: Mike Sheehy on September 29, 2009, 05:42:57 AM
No doubt it was mouthy t**ts like yourself that were barracking the Kerry team.....it was a disgrace and ye treated Dublin almost as badly before that. Tramps the lot of ye !
i thought we'd got rid of this tool

why dont you stick to talking shite about soccer dipshit ...
maybe if you stuck to posting about something you actually know something about
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

longrunsthefox

Quote from: AFS on September 30, 2009, 08:27:38 AM

Right enuff. Didn't think he would leave the kingdom  ::)  he drools about so much

BennyHarp

Quote from: longrunsthefox on September 30, 2009, 02:44:57 PM
Quote from: AFS on September 30, 2009, 08:27:38 AM

Right enuff. Didn't think he would leave the kingdom  ::)  he drools about so much

He must have moved to the states or somewhere after being run out of Kerry by the decent folk who live there who were sick of him embarrassing them!
That was never a square ball!!