Croke Park protest begins

Started by Ash Smoker, July 28, 2009, 08:14:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ash Smoker

Croke Park protest begins

Croke Park residents are protesting outside Croke Park this morning over what residents say is contempt shown by Dublin City Council, the GAA and concert promoter MCD.

Residents are angered that the works are taking place continuously over 44 hours to dismantle the stage and lay a new pitch in a bid to ready the stadium for the All-Ireland football quarter-finals next weekend.

The second of three protests began at 7am today, with pedestrians meeting at Jones' Road.

AA Roadwatch said the demonstration, which is also affecting the Nally Square and St Joseph's Ave (off Clonliffe Rd) is not causing any disruption to traffic.

The first protest was due to take place at 1am today, and a third demonstration for both pedestrians and vehicles will begin at 6pm today on Clonliffe Road.

"All residents are invited to come out and show solidarity in defending our community against the decision of Dublin City Council to allow these anti-social working hours and at the disrespect and contempt shown to the residents by Croke Park and the concert promoters MCD," the group said in a statement.

Patrick Gates, chairman of the Croke Park Area Residents' Alliance, said the dismantling works being carried out over two nights were the "salt in the wound" to follow the massive disruption caused by the three concerts.

Mr Gates said that while residents were not against concerts, they did not see why three had to be staged in the time allocated under the licence. Holding just two concerts would have allowed the stage dismantling to take place in normal working hours.

Croke Park management has asked residents not to disrupt the dismantling work, and says it recognises the need for a "serious rethink" of the staging of future big events at the venue.

Lecale2

QuotePatrick Gates, chairman of the Croke Park Area Residents' Alliance

Tyrone man.

Orior

There are two categories of resident:

1) Those that have been born and bred there and know nothing else and are are used to Sunday disruptions. I dont think they're the type to complain.

2) Those that moved in the area. What did they think happened in that awfully big shed down the street?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

clarshack

they get free tickets dont they?

ludermor

Dont think they get near as much as they used to get ( esp from MCD) and a lot of the property there is rented so the landlord get the tickets while the tenant get f**k all.

comeontheredhands

free tickets and free parking ??

Stay goalside of your man

It will hardly come to this will it?

thebandit

Look at all the buzz created by the 3 concerts - Brought investment, tourism, employment etc into Dublin.

These people must be very bored.

fearglasmor

Quote from: Orior on July 28, 2009, 08:42:43 AM
. What did they think happened in that awfully big shed down the street?

I would guess football and hurling mostly. Mostly on a Sunday and maybe saturday. Not all the other shite that the GAA now pursue in order to pay for their lovely shiney toy.

If I was a resident, long standing or recent, I would be rightly pissed off too.

orangeman

Quote from: clarshack on July 28, 2009, 09:06:27 AM
they get free tickets dont they?

Probably looking for a few more freebies.  ;)  Maybe not.

Hardy

For a change, I have some sympathy for the residents this time. This is different to opportunistic protesting about match-day crowds or floodlights at 11 p.m.  Why should they have to accept what's effectively heavy duty construction/demolition work going on throughout the night in a residential area? Everyone needs their sleep and why should residents in this area give up theirs, without compensation, just to facilitate an international conglomerate and a sports schedule?

Which raises the question - do we have laws in this country about people's right to a quiet night - i.e. is there a specific law /regulation about the hours when noisy work is not allowed or is it just catch-all legislation about nuisance or something?

bingobus

Quote from: fearglasmor on July 28, 2009, 09:44:03 AM
Quote from: Orior on July 28, 2009, 08:42:43 AM
. What did they think happened in that awfully big shed down the street?

I would guess football and hurling mostly. Mostly on a Sunday and maybe saturday. Not all the other shite that the GAA now pursue in order to pay for their lovely shiney toy.

If I was a resident, long standing or recent, I would be rightly pissed off too.

Worth noting that there was 40 residents at the "protest". Thats a very small % of the total residents, who would appear to get on with it and accept that they are located next to a major stadium. Their gripe seems to be that there is addition traffic now with the trucks coming in and out. City centre traffic was never easy as far as i can remember.
I'd totally accept that they are inconvienced but with everything in life there is choices than can be taken.

Hardy

I think their beef is about the noise throughout the night. What choice do you have if you can't sleep all night and have work in the morning?

bingobus

Quote from: Hardy on July 28, 2009, 09:58:18 AM
I think their beef is about the noise throughout the night. What choice do you have if you can't sleep all night and have work in the morning?

Get double glazing  ;)

orangeman

Quote from: bingobus on July 28, 2009, 09:59:34 AM
Quote from: Hardy on July 28, 2009, 09:58:18 AM

Get double glazing  ;)

How much will that cost the association ?.