Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: AQMP on April 03, 2017, 11:17:42 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on April 02, 2017, 01:28:59 PM
This gibraltar thing really shaking some brits up. May should be prepared to go to war over gibraltar according to michael howard in the telegraph.

Muppets. The colonial superiority complex far from gone in some of them.

The media in the uk really going down a bad path these days.

Yes, to defend the democratic rights of Gibraltarians...who voted 96%-4% to remain in the EU.

Spain played a blinder here, wave a red rag and the British loonies inevitably charged. All that they've said was the Gibraltar was a separate jurisdiction from the UK and that they had a veto, which they had anyway. The Spanish haven't said anything about invading, or put any concrete proposal, but the Englanders lost the plot immediately. Then the Spanish also said that Scotland could apply to the EU, which was also true anyway.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Quote from: armaghniac on April 03, 2017, 11:38:55 AM
This gibraltar thing really shaking some brits up. May should be prepared to go to war over gibraltar according to michael howard in the telegraph.

Yes, to defend the democratic rights of Gibraltarians...who voted 96%-4% to remain in the EU.

Spain played a blinder here, wave a red rag and the British loonies inevitably charged. All that they've said was the Gibraltar was a separate jurisdiction from the UK and that they had a veto, which they had anyway. The Spanish haven't said anything about invading, or put any concrete proposal, but the Englanders lost the plot immediately. Then the Spanish also said that Scotland could apply to the EU, which was also true anyway.

The Gibraltar thing is interesting because Gibraltar needs the Single market .
The right wing UK media are insane.  I look at the Daily Telegraph site opinion page most days and it is fascinating.
The paper is flogging a sick ideology that will damage the interests of most of its readers. How this happened is the big question.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

NAG1

Quote from: seafoid on April 03, 2017, 11:48:08 AM

The Gibraltar thing is interesting because Gibraltar needs the Single market .
The right wing UK media are insane.  I look at the Daily Telegraph site opinion page most days and it is fascinating.
The paper is flogging a sick ideology that will damage the interests of most of its readers. How this happened is the big question.

The 1%ers at the top wanted to avoid EU regulations on various issues relating to them.
Convinced the little englanders using boardline racist arguments and the whole thing sailed through.

Quite easy actually.

seafoid

But at an individual level some of the Telegraph journalists voted Remain and they now spout Brexit nonsense as if it made sense

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/29/voted-remain-delusional-remainers-damaging-britain/
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

armaghniac

The video is quite funny and a measure of modern video morphing techniques

https://www.facebook.com/BBCLIEFACTORY/videos/1297278163696785/

That said the old Hitler rant is still also quite funny
http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/news/a799556/downfall-parody-brexit-boris-johnson-hq/

Jim_Murphy_74

To be honest Spain didn't do much, it was the English press, and Tory right-wingers that played a blinder by going off on one.

You are correct that everything Spaniards said was true.  If they went any further they could be called out for hypocrisy.  If you have a look at Gibraltar on google maps, scroll south to Africa and have a look a the places with international borders and little places labelled "Espana".

People of Gibraltar might be pro-EU but hardly pro a basket case like Spain.

/Jim.

armaghniac

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on April 04, 2017, 12:53:16 PM

I'm not quite sure why Spain is a "basket case", when Gibraltar is basically a racket.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: armaghniac on April 04, 2017, 05:23:13 PM

I'm not quite sure why Spain is a "basket case", when Gibraltar is basically a racket.

A racket the citizen's do well out of.  I know people living there, the see Spain as a basket case because of it's fiscal state, taxes, banks, unemployment etc.  When I last spoke to them last year Spain didn't even have a government due to hung election.

/Jim.

never kickt a ball

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on April 04, 2017, 10:45:35 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on April 04, 2017, 05:23:13 PM

A racket the citizen's do well out of.  I know people living there, the see Spain as a basket case because of it's fiscal state, taxes, banks, unemployment etc.  When I last spoke to them last year Spain didn't even have a government due to hung election.

/Jim.

That's terrible Jim. Imagine that...........

armaghniac

Spain, like Ireland, was growing well but did lose the run of itself with consequent effects on banks. It has high unemployment, but has just had the largest monthly fall on record. It will grow over the next few years and materially reduce the unemployment. As for the government, a hung parliament just means that people didn't vote overwhelmingly for any party. None of these things constitute a "basket case". The people in Gibraltar are in on a racket and may well want to continue this when compared with normality in Spain, but this does not make Spain a "basket case" either.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: armaghniac on April 05, 2017, 12:20:00 AM

Spain, like Ireland, was growing well but did lose the run of itself with consequent effects on banks. It has high unemployment, but has just had the largest monthly fall on record. It will grow over the next few years and materially reduce the unemployment. As for the government, a hung parliament just means that people didn't vote overwhelmingly for any party. None of these things constitute a "basket case". The people in Gibraltar are in on a racket and may well want to continue this when compared with normality in Spain, but this does not make Spain a "basket case" either.

Okay, people are defensive about the term "basket case" so I will retract it. 

However, what I would say that it is not surprising that the citizens of Gibraltar are happier to have their "racket" than join the Spanish.  Also I think that Spain are on shaky ground trying to force the issue given their own enclaves in Africa.

/Jim.

johnneycool

Teresa May is already backtracking on the closed border post Brexit England/UK temporarily. I presume this temporary period will be inline with the free trade period!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39498647