Seeking Travel Advice

Started by Pangurban, January 23, 2009, 08:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangurban

Anyone been to Istanbul . Would you recommend a visit. Do you think its safe in present political climate, F.O. appear to have doubts

Tyrones own

Did you ever happen to catch the Classic that is 'Midnight Express' :o
not to scare you or anything ;)
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Shamrock Shore

I was there in 1991. Grotty place then but safe to be honest.

The bazzars are great but, as in The Life of Brian, you hafta haggle.

armaghniac

I'd say Istanbul is well worth a visit, I'd go back anytime. Plenty to see there if palaces, mosques and the like is your thing and there is a good tourist infrastructure of restaurants etc . It is reasonably priced compared to Western Europe. Not sure about the risk at present. There are lots of small hotels in the historic area, which are less likely to be targets than the big flash places.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

The Subbie

Go surely, was there last year for  5 days, mighty spot,stayed in a hotel just off Taksim square, Blue Mosque and grand bazzar worth a vist, topkapi palace interesting, good range of bars and ateing houses, we were there for the grand prix and our visit coincided with the final game of the Turkish league, Galatassary had to win final game to win the league, they won and it was one of the craziest nights of my life, them boys know how to celebrate, mental.

Turkish barbers good value, full cut throat shave for 4 yo yo, turkish bath an experience also. i'd go never mind what the news says its never as bad when you get there

Hardy

It used to be the thing to get clothes tailor made on a visit to Istanbul - very cheap, fast and good quality. I don't know if that's still the case, but worth checking.

maggie

I was there for a week last year-stayed in the Mid-Town hotel-it was lovely and pretty central.

Worth a visit for sure.

Drivers are mental-wouldnt advise you to hire a car.

And the pashminas are lovely as well.

I did find the men a bit sleazy though. (These 2 last points may/may not be any use to you, but they are important none the less.)

heffo

I've a day and a half or so in Istanbul coming back from a work trip - I've a hotel in the old town.

Has anyone done any all in one day tours-want to see the main sights and maybe a boat trip if that's worth doing?

How bad is the traffic? I've driven regularly in Paris so it can't be any worse than that??