The Celtic Tiger killed Meath football

Started by Jinxy, June 15, 2015, 10:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

rrhf

A crumbling ground.  Poor enough competitively at underage and club level.   If I was a meath man I'd be listening to sb and I'd be asking him back into the fold some way.  It's amazing that of the 91 - 99 all Ireland winning counties only Dublin kerry and donegal have managed success in the last 15 years.  Many of them have been in chronic decline since.

Jinxy

moysider

Quote from: rrhf on June 16, 2015, 11:20:02 PM
A crumbling ground.  Poor enough competitively at underage and club level.   If I was a meath man I'd be listening to sb and I'd be asking him back into the fold some way.  It's amazing that of the 91 - 99 all Ireland winning counties only Dublin kerry and donegal have managed success in the last 15 years.  Many of them have been in chronic decline since.

Karma in the case of Meath.

They sold their souls in 96. Unreal that McEneaney is still weaving his sinister magic. Don t tell me that appointing Meath refs for Mayo games is incidental. Not only are they fckued  up themselves, they want to keep fkcuing us up as well nearly 20 years later.

muppet

Quote from: rrhf on June 16, 2015, 12:32:00 PM
Quote from: thejuice on June 16, 2015, 09:58:46 AM
Sean Boylan reckoned changing the club championship from a straight knock out to a league would damage the psyche of Meath footballers. Perhaps he was right.
theres no doubt he was a major fan of knock out football..

;D ;D
MWWSI 2017

thejuice

It's not karma. It's deep rooted complacency at county board level and I think the generation of young men that followed the glory years became more interested in watching football than playing it.

The state of pairc tailteann tells it's own story of how poorly the game is being run. The county is full of bystanders who are great at pointing out flaws but short on solutions and absent when it comes to putting a shoulder to the wheel.

Perhaps that's why three of our greatest talents of the last 30 years are much happier being commentators or columnists and don't want to take the reigns of county management.

The memories of the bygone glories are about the only thing that propels us forward and not because of great work going on at the top.

Whereas Dublin started putting things in place and planned a way forward with the right people leading the game at the top. They are reaping the rewards now.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

moysider

Quote from: thejuice on June 18, 2015, 12:26:11 AM
It's not karma. It's deep rooted complacency at county board level and I think the generation of young men that followed the glory years became more interested in watching football than playing it.

The state of pairc tailteann tells it's own story of how poorly the game is being run. The county is full of bystanders who are great at pointing out flaws but short on solutions and absent when it comes to putting a shoulder to the wheel.

Perhaps that's why three of our greatest talents of the last 30 years are much happier being commentators or columnists and don't want to take the reigns of county management.

The memories of the bygone glories are about the only thing that propels us forward and not because of great work going on at the top.

Whereas Dublin started putting things in place and planned a way forward with the right people leading the game at the top. They are reaping the rewards now.

Yawn! I prefer the Karma theory ;D
In fairness, you're right, not a great sign when O Rourke stayed clear of it.

rrhf

It's heartbreaking for those involved I'd imagine.

INDIANA

Meaty have got their act together now.

They've a good minor side this year and it's the first batch of their development teams.

They'll be back soon enough

In my view a big mistake O Dowd made was getting rid of the older players too quickly. He got rid of them for inferior players which was just daft .

thejuice

I agree, the likes of Cian Ward and Joe Sheriden still among the best players at club level and could offer a lot. There have been a few retirements though that I thought were premature like Meade and King.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Jinxy

Like a lot of fragile ecosystems, Meath has never recovered from the introduction of an invasive, non-native species, i.e.Canis Lupus Dublinus.

INDIANA

Quote from: Jinxy on June 18, 2015, 10:40:51 PM
Like a lot of fragile ecosystems, Meath has never recovered from the introduction of an invasive, non-native species, i.e.Canis Lupus Dublinus.

should have asked a few for some some football lessons Jinxy

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Sidney

Losing Kepak as sponsors was clearly what did for Meath football. In the Kepak era the players were thrown raw meat after training every night which they would devour like hungry dingos. Raw meat is the food of savages, and of champions. Champion savages and savage champions is what Meath footballers of old were.

Now they're being thrown bags of Tayto every night and it's no wonder Dublin rub more salt and vinegar into the Meath wounds with every passing year.

Canalman

Quote from: Jinxy on June 18, 2015, 10:40:51 PM

Don't despair just yet. The Dublin blow ins' kids will shortly be playing adult football and all will be well in Meath again. Think the Ferguson family x 100s.

Land Commission families backboned your AI winning teams in the past btw.