Meath vs Westmeath - Leinster Semi-Final 28/6/15 (Croke Park)

Started by thejuice, June 14, 2015, 11:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

Hopefully a few broken fingers will have mended in time for this, though the lads coming back might be a bit rusty. If we don't get McGill, Reilly or Menton back I think we'll be really up against it. Even Mickey Burke isn't 100% and still played today.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Dinny Breen

How heavy will the weight of history be on the shoulders of Westmeath? Was there when Dessie missed that free.
#newbridgeornowhere

Ard-Rí

It's hard to look at Meath at the minute. Westmeath could certainly beat us. A lot will depend on what team is available to us, and whether we play lads in position or not.
Mickey Burke! Don't get me started on Mickey Burke.
Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

thejuice

Mickey may not be the most talented footballer but he puts in a mountain of work and is totally dedicated to the Meath cause, not just for the footballers but the hurlers too. I wish some of the other lads had the drive and dedication he has.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Ard-Rí

Probably the biggest cliché in Meath football. "Mickey Burke works his socks off", "he gives 100%", and so on. He's not good enough. He's not the only one, I know. He is however the most obvious sacred cow of recent years in Meath football. Joey Wallace is another, though to a lesser extent. There's a cult of personality around Mickey Burke, and frankly it's damaging to Meath football. Today, you could look around the pitch and pick out almost any number of players who are just not good enough. Judge, Power, McEntee, the list goes on. It should be expected that you give 100% if you're playing for your county. It shouldn't distinguish you from everyone else that you are trying hard! Today's farce with the penalty is hardly even worthy of a mention compared to several years of sub par performances. And far from wanting to be critical, I'd much prefer if we were progressing and the boys were improving. Fair enough, we were missing a lot of players and that happens. Overall though, on the evidence of league and championship performances since 2012 very little progress is being made. For example, we don't have anything approaching an accepted starting XV. Our half back line is largely unknown from game to game, and today the defending was awful. I'm not laying the blame at Mickey Burke's door alone but there are fundamental issues with the team and in my opinion he is one of them.

We may well beat Westmeath, but it doesn't change anything and Westmeath have a very good chance of beating us too. Barring miraculous recoveries for our key players (and them being fit and ready to play) we will be marking 2015 down as another early exit from the championship.
Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

Jinxy

With the injuries we have, Westmeath would have to be serious favourites.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Shamrock Shore

This may be the best chance in ages for WH to beat Meath in the championship for the first time.

Meath can point (no pun intended) to finger injuries all they like but to concede 3-12 to Wickla is shocking.

BTW - did I miss something. Why are WH now playing mainly in green jerseys? Surely the usual maroon would not have clashed with the Wexford jerseys.

Have they done a Shligo and switched formally the county jersey?

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 14, 2015, 11:27:18 PM
How heavy will the weight of history be on the shoulders of Westmeath? Was there when Dessie missed that free.

I don't think that will come into it at all Dinny. None of this Westmeath team were exposed to the hoodoo years of 2001-2003 and they are used to beating them at underage level. I think they will relish taking them on in Croker. Good to see you back on the board btw, get in early and cheer us on Sunday week.

SS, Wexford's jerseys are mainly purple now so there would have been a clash alright. Although after maintaining our 100% record in green there's an argument to be made for keeping it going. The hurlers switched last week as well.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Jinxy

You needn't think you'll be wearing green the next day.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

illdecide

If there's a God out there we'll pray to him Westmeath win this ;)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

AZOffaly

First thing I thought of when I heard this was the semi final.

I remember saying to my cousins that Westmeath should play a challenge match against a club side from Offaly or somewhere and ask them to wear Meath jerseys.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 15, 2015, 11:12:17 AM

First thing I thought of when I heard this was the semi final.

I remember saying to my cousins that Westmeath should play a challenge match against a club side from Offaly or somewhere and ask them to wear Meath jerseys.

Club side?

From Offaly?

This isn't 1982 you know...

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on June 15, 2015, 10:28:18 AM

I don't think that will come into it at all Dinny. None of this Westmeath team were exposed to the hoodoo years of 2001-2003 and they are used to beating them at underage level. I think they will relish taking them on in Croker. Good to see you back on the board btw, get in early and cheer us on Sunday week.

SS, Wexford's jerseys are mainly purple now so there would have been a clash alright. Although after maintaining our 100% record in green there's an argument to be made for keeping it going. The hurlers switched last week as well.

I don't know, it's bound to be dragged up in the media build up. Sure the bold Dinny upstairs would be disgusted if I didn't cheer on Westmeath.

What's the craic with the green jersey?
#newbridgeornowhere

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 15, 2015, 11:27:00 AM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on June 15, 2015, 10:28:18 AM

I don't know, it's bound to be dragged up in the media build up. Sure the bold Dinny upstairs would be disgusted if I didn't cheer on Westmeath.

What's the craic with the green jersey?

Oh, it'll be dragged up alright and there's bound to be a least one article with Dessie about that miss. I don't think it has anywhere near the same relevance as it did to the players of 10 years ago. Of the team that started yesterday, 8 were in the U21 team that convincingly defeated Eastmeath in 2010. The heads will be right for this one I feel.

Green comes from the Leinster jersey. Think there's only ourselves, Kerry, Down and arguably Galway who still use the traditional provincial colours.