The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

straightred

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 06, 2017, 11:09:03 PM
Quote from: straightred on August 06, 2017, 10:40:03 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 06, 2017, 10:35:15 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 06, 2017, 09:33:49 PM
Whelan is on anyway, I'm sure he'll be demanding Johnny Cooper to make a public apology.

Not even worth commentary.

Proof if proof was ever needed that the act does not matter, only the jersey worn by the perpetrator matters.

I'll be surprised if they don't raise it now. They raised the hurling helmet incident. It's really poor from cooper

Nothing about it, what matter is the jersey, not the act.

What happened was on a par to what tiernan mccann did and he was ridiculed (rightly) for it. Cooper should have got the same treatment.

TheOptimist

Quote from: hardstation on August 06, 2017, 11:08:34 PM
Quote from: TheOptimist on August 06, 2017, 10:50:34 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 06, 2017, 10:38:52 PM
Quote from: TheOptimist on August 06, 2017, 10:34:50 PM
I wonder is Mayo watching. Only team that has put it up to Dublin the last few years but they're not in the top 3.
Obviously not. Who would have them in the top 3 presently?

Fact remains they are the only team that can go toe to toe with dublin. People don't learn.
Also, that isn't a fact. Last year, they went toe to to toe with Dublin and eventually lost.
That in no way equates to them being the only team who can go toe to toe with Dublin this year. Christ, if sport was that simple....

It is a fact. They've drawn with them in the championship two years running. No other team has caused them near as much trouble. And that's even after scoring 2 own goals last year. Last year they were written of before the first and second games. I wouldn't be writing them of so quick this year.

Saying Tyrone can put it up to Dublin is pure speculation. May be correct, but it's only speculating right now.

straightred

Quote from: Hereiam on August 06, 2017, 11:09:39 PM
What a load of shite. Talked 80% about how Dublin should stop Tyrone as if they are the baddies....wat about an in-depth discussion on how to stop Dublin.

There's a air of desperation about it. They know that kerry will waltz through to the final on the that side so they need a big game on this side of the draw. Talk it up as much as possible beforehand but deep down we all know that Dublin will win it comfortably. Dublin IMO are in much better shape than last year. They are peaking now. Their movement and intensity last night was significantly stepped up since the kildare game when then didn't really bother defending.

straightred

Quote from: TheOptimist on August 06, 2017, 11:18:32 PM
I wonder is Mayo watching. Only team that has put it up to Dublin the last few years but they're not in the top 3.

Fact remains they are the only team that can go toe to toe with dublin. People don't learn.
Also, that isn't a fact. Last year, they went toe to to toe with Dublin and eventually lost.
That in no way equates to them being the only team who can go toe to toe with Dublin this year. Christ, if sport was that simple....

It is a fact. They've drawn with them in the championship two years running. No other team has caused them near as much trouble. And that's even after scoring 2 own goals last year. Last year they were written of before the first and second games. I wouldn't be writing them of so quick this year.

And Usain Bolt was the fastest man on earth last year too. Last year has nothing to do with it. mayo might win tomorrow but that will only prolong the agony. They arent beating kerry.

TheOptimist

Quote from: straightred on August 06, 2017, 11:21:32 PM

And Usain Bolt was the fastest man on earth last year too. Last year has nothing to do with it. mayo might win tomorrow but that will only prolong the agony. They are beating kerry.

Yes but no one was writing Usain bolt of last year or this. Point is simple,  we shouldnt write mayo of. History has proven that. Read the all Ireland thread last year. The discussion was how much will dublin beat mayo by, 10 or 20 points.

macdanger2

There are only medals for the top one

TheOptimist

Quote from: hardstation on August 06, 2017, 11:26:55 PM

Saying Tyrone can put it up to Dublin is pure speculation. May be correct, but it's only speculating right now.
It is not fact. When was the last time Tyrone played Dublin in the championship, since this is your measuring tool?

OK I will rephrase for you. They are the only team that have proven they can go toe to toe with Dublin in the championship and they've been pretty consistent in doing so. Last year Tyrone were hyped up as much as they are this year and they failed. To say with such certainty that Mayo aren't in the top 3 is foolish. It may be the case tomorrow, that they're gone or I could be right (again this year). And even at that roscommon might be better than Kerry!

The Trap

Even though they have been scraping through games mayo would not be beat before they want out against kerry......roscommon would. tyrone will not be beat before they go out against Dublin......now the odds are that it will be a Kerry Dublin final but there are really only 2 teams that have a chance of beating them. So even though I would normally support the underdog I hope mayo win tomorrow.

Whishtup

Mayo don't have the strength in the squad to equal kerry, dublin, tyrone. If coc, andy moran, keegan, parsons are black/red carded, it's lights out. There is no player in the top 3 that is irreplacable.

Il Bomber Destro

I think Mayo can definitely take Kerry.

The problem is Mayo have not hit the height of previous years yet and don't look like doing it, so far they have been running on fumes and look like a team on the way out. Who knows though, teams have stumbled along to this stage before and turned it on.

Rossfan

When did Tyrone get into the "Top 3"??
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

The Trap

I am from tyrone but mayo are more battle hardened than we are. 12 months ago they should have won the all ireland. Yes they have been poor so far and don't look like they could do it but both tyrone and Kerry have got to the qtr final in the last looking poor and then really clicked. Don't think they will but it is not totally beyond the bounds of possibility.

Tyrone should not get beyond their station yet.......wait til we see what happens next....

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Rossfan on August 06, 2017, 11:51:22 PM

I think it's safe to say they are one of the top three sides by form in the country this year.

3 weeks time will tell us a lot more.

Wildweasel74

Mayo is running on empty to be honest

straightred

Quote from: Rossfan on August 06, 2017, 11:51:22 PM

Fair question. I think they're there because we need there to be 3 contenders. They probably aren't but for now I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. There isn't much evidence for Kerry either but they've done what they need to do and they have that winning pedigree.

So if we look at the evidence of the last week or so we have maybe 3 at the top table and galway, Mayo, Monaghan and roscommon next in no particular order. Its not Dublins fault but it isn't healthy either. Back in June you could make a case for up to maybe 5 hurling teams to win the AI. I can only see 1 winner of the football and i've said that since before a ball was kicked.