Tyrone v Laois NFL 2008

Started by never kickt a ball, March 03, 2008, 11:21:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Yeah, I would like to see Justin get a run in the team now as I think he has the ability to play at No.3 and provide a solution to the problem long-term.  Good to see McGee back in contention aswell.  Hopefully now the forwards can better on and regain abit of confidence for the rest of the year.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

tyroneman

Great to see Justin get a run at FB. Hopefully he will be a big success and can offer a genuine option along with McCarron for years to come.

Also might mean Joey can get up to MF.

Not far off the Championship line up now..........would like to see (if all were fit, sharp and ready to go)

Devine
PJ
Justy
McGee
Ricey
Block
Model
Hub
Sean
Mulgrew
God ptII
Enda (asuming Dooher ain't gonna make it for the Down game)
Tommy
Colm
Mugsy

Swift
Mellon
Joey
Gourley
McCaul
McCarron
O'Neill
Cavanagh Jnr
Gormley
Carlin

and the rest providing options on the bench

Fuzzman

What's the latest on Joey anyway?
Is he just another guy that always gets injured or do you think he'll be OK soon

Do ye think Mickey's being hard on McCaul or has he already decided to play him come May. Maybe he's just giving others match time.
Wonder is Jordan being rested or has he been dropped cos he went off skiing.

Certainly is an abundance of descent defenders but again we wait to see what MF will provide us with.
Watching Hub there in 2003 on dvd and he looked so much more mobile and faster to the ball than in recent times.

Glad Mickey has taken Colm Cavanagh out of the forward line for a while as he just wasn't performing but maybe he suits the better pitches come the summer.

How did McCullagh play at FF in Salthill?

rrhf

Mc Caul is standing out as the great untried, maybe Mickey is watching his displays at 3 for the Sigerson and is happy that hes playing enough football.  To play at 3 in a Sigerson final team 2 years in a row must bring him in to the reckoning at some time, or maybe hes going to piss about with him like he did with Robinson.  I dont know.  Id love to see Mc caul tried in the half forwards or half backs he the  fastest man on the panel,  they call him the gazelle. Overall though thats not too bad a team bar Hughes who is not capable of starting at that level anymore.  I can see sean moving into the centre to give life support to the midfield after a short period of time, but is this practice weakening our forwards chances of scoring when they need all the help they can get. 

Mr. Nakata

I'd rather have seen McMahon at 8 and McCaul at 3 but MH persists with a midfield that hasn't clicked yet, nor does it ever look like clicking. Hub must put in some performances in training week in week out. McMahon has the engine for midfield and could be the answer for distance frees. He did well at 3 against Kerry but the next few games will tell all. Can't wait for Saturday night and really hope that there's no monsoon or tropical storm blowing in over Healy Park. Absolutely salivating at the prospect of a 5-10 minute cameo from McGuigan. 2 points badly needed, I think that team should be good enough. 

Tyrone Dreamer

I think McGinley has been good in midfield and could well start their come championship. He win's a lot of possession in the area which is very important, although he was out caught a number of times down in Kerry. Hub has come in for a lot of criticism and looks slow but he was much improved down in Galway and if that trend continues maybe he shouldnt be counted out just yet.

Im glad McMahon is getting a go and he looks an option at both full back and midfield. Im not sure what are best option is here so he probably is worth a go. People are talking about McCaul but Im not convinced he is ready for full back at this stage. He like many of our defenders seems better going forward so might be a better option at half back. I havent seen that much of him so maybe Im being harsh on his defensive ability but I thought he struggled against Meath last year and got a roasting in last years Sigerson final. There's a big step up from Sigerson to county football RRHF - the likes of Peter Donnelly and many other non starters at county football can make Sigerson teams and perform well. McCaul is young so should improve and would certainly add a bit more strength in the half back line than Harte.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Thats the strongest looking team so far IMO. Harte should have been giving the likes of McCarron, McCaul and Justy a run at no.3 all the way through the league but better late than never. Defence should be a good bit stronger with Gormley at 6.

Must win this game and if that team performs to potential we will have a good chance.

The Real Laoislad

LAOIS senior footballers followed up their recent National Football League draw with Mayo by registering an easy win over Longford on Sunday in a challenge.
However, the side has a much bigger game on Saturday as they travel to Omagh to take on Tyrone in a very important encounter.
The last time the two sides clashed was in 2006 when Laois defeated the Red Hand in the all-Ireland qualifiers in O'Moore Park, Portlaoise.
But Liam Kearns and his players will be approaching this game at the weekend in the knowledge that a win is a must do if the side are to have any chance of avoiding relegation from Division 1.
The recent result over Mayo in the league was a huge confidence booster for the side, and the county, after the team gave a good display and were unlucky not to come way with the victory.
The away clash with Tyrone on Saturday will be a much sterner test for the side as they have to make the long trip up north. The injury suffered to Aidan Fennelly during the Mayo match will leave him sidelined for a few weeks so it could be a chance for David Murphy to claim his place in the side.
The Portarlington clubman was reported to have played well during the challenge match on Sunday in a midfield role.
But time is ticking towards the forthcoming Leinster championship campaign so Kearns and Co will need to settle on a formidable line up for the competition.
However, the competition from Tyrone will be tough as the Mickey Harte trained side will be looking to register more points in the league.
The news coming from the camp is that Brian McGuigan has been training with the squad over the last few weeks but has now finally been given the nod by medical experts to return to competitive action.
The Ardboe clubman has not played competitively since he suffered a horrendous eye injury in a club game last year. The 28-year-old had just recovered from a double leg fracture which had seen him ruled out of action since the 2005 all-Ireland football final.
In other news, former Laois captain Gary Kavanagh has returned to the county fold after he was asked back into the panel by Liam Kearns.
Liam Kearns also received a huge boost with the news that Graiguecullen cl ubman Barry Brennan is expected to return to the Laois senior football panel this week. The talented forward is only recently recovering from a groin injury which h ha s halted his progress in the past year.
However, he has turned in some fine performances for the Garda Training College during the Sigerson Cup.
One of the finest displays from Brennan came in 2005 after he almost single-handedly defeated Kildare in the semi-final of the Leinster championship.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

rrhf

There's a big step up from Sigerson to county football RRHF
Tyrone dreamer - you are on the money with that comment.  There must also be a recognition of the right to having several chances, if you are going to give hub the benefit of the doubt then you have to give everyone a chance on the panel.  Im not sure either ogf Mc caul at 3 but by God every man in the squad has has multiple chances and he has had 10 minutes.  He is young but the lad last year was thrown in at the deep end agaianst Meath and as you say would need to have a chance to acclimatise this year to the step up.  I believe his only full (competitive) game for Tyrone has been an AIQF where he was thrown in against an All Star in form.  Does that make logical sense to you TD?

orangeman

RRHF -

I really can't fully understand why Mc Caul hasn't been tried more - I was shocked to say the least at his inclusion in last years AIGF against Meath but as I say I can't understand if he was good enough to include back then when the stakes were higher, why is he not being given a run now ?

Tyrone Dreamer

It makes sense but just not sure if he's the option for 3 at the minute. Suppose he's worth a go although I think Justy McMaahon after his performance against Donaghy in Kerry definately deserves a go there for a game or 2. Did McCaul not play the league game against Fermanagh last year in Omagh?

loughshore lad

Wouldnt be that convinced about Justin McMahon in full back. Dont think he has the pace, mobility or defensive capability to play there at county level. Have to agree with RRHF as regards McCaul, its puzzling that he has not been given more of a chance so far this season.

rrhf

I haventy seen that much of Justin to comment, but with a strong defence an attack minded midfielder like Justin might let Sean C a little more time in the half forwards.  I think we are probably concentraing too much on the wrong end of the pitch, defence is not a problem area at the moment could maybe be better but they havent lost us any of the games to date.  The real focus tomorrow night has to be on the performance of the Tyrone forwards in particular the following needs to be addressed
Mc Culla: Scorer or playmaker
Mulligan: Leader or second in command
Mulgrew: Is he delivering at the moment
Tommy: Is he a full forward line member or playmaker. 
Do our half forwards play too deep.
By 9 00 on Saturday night those who are sober should know what members ofTyrones forwards have passed the test in a must win game.  The perhaps unfair thing about this is,  every game is last chance saloon now, and yet there will be guys who will not have had the opportunity to stake a claim like the others until its a life or death game. Good luck Tyrone lets keep it Division 1. 

iano

Looking forward to match this weekend.As for Tyrone I think I can speak for most fair minded laois fans amd say we have nothing but respect for Tyrone.Think this goes back to minor days of late ninetes(not many teams get gaurd of honour out of croke park by losing team).We have always had good relationship and you'll always get stupid things going on between players & suppporters.Always found Tyrone crowd sound unlike some other sets of supporters.

orangeman

maybe Mickey is watching his displays at 3 for the Sigerson and is happy that hes playing enough football

I think IF this were the case, MH would be playing him.