Halifax Scam

Started by illdecide, January 03, 2008, 02:14:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

Lads just be careful as there is an e-mail floating about from fraudsters will the Halifax logo and the works. I failed to log into my account properly yesterday and straight away i was sent an e-mail from the Halifax (well as i thought) asking me to update my security details as someone failed trying to log into my account. Naturally as it was me trying to log in i thought "f**k this is great the Halifax are really on the ball" so i updated my security details and hey what do you know my account was stripped this morning of £3500 (not euros).

f**king skint now and don't know where I'll get the money for next months mortgage. The Fraud deterant team are trying to trace it and get me my loot back but i haven't heard anything back as of yet :'( :'( :'( :'(

Be on your guard and don't be as stupid as me
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

carnaross

Quote from: illdecide on January 03, 2008, 02:14:10 PM
Lads just be careful as there is an e-mail floating about from fraudsters will the Halifax logo and the works. I failed to log into my account properly yesterday and straight away i was sent an e-mail from the Halifax (well as i thought) asking me to update my security details as someone failed trying to log into my account. Naturally as it was me trying to log in i thought "f**k this is great the Halifax are really on the ball" so i updated my security details and hey what do you know my account was stripped this morning of £3500 (not euros).

f**king skint now and don't know where I'll get the money for next months mortgage. The Fraud deterant team are trying to trace it and get me my loot back but i haven't heard anything back as of yet :'( :'( :'( :'(

Be on your guard and don't be as stupid as me

Such a shame that these scamming bastards are so clever at conning us out of our money. To compound the problems the banks appear to take the view that we have spent the money ourselves. You should ask them where and how the money was taken. Hope it works out soonest.
Anyone travelling to Leeds to work/study are welcome to join St. Benedicts Harps GAA in Leeds.

FL/MAYO

Got something similar from Citi Bank last week, it looked official but I got suspicious when they were asking for information that the bank should already have..feckers.

Snowed Under

No Bank or Building Society will ever just send you a mail asking you to update account information or security information.

Over the Bar

Sorry to hear that dude.  Faudsters are getting better and better at this sort of thing.  I now point blank refuse to answer any emails or telephone calls from banks or credit cards.   

illdecide

Quote from: Snowed Under on January 03, 2008, 02:21:49 PM
No Bank or Building Society will ever just send you a mail asking you to update account information or security information.

I know that now :'(

The Halifax told me this morning that they were so professional and slick. My sister ate the bollocks of me for this as she used to work with the Halifax for 15 years and she said the same that they already know your details why would they want them again. Feel like a right stupid c**t, just hope they can recover it. Say a prayer lads
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

the Deel Rover

Sorry to hear that illdecide , the golden rule is never give your bank details or security details to anyone if someone rings you or emails you tell them that you will ring them back and get straight on to the bank and inform them of such, as Snowed Under said the bank will never contact you looking for such details. The bank i deal with have a warning on their website stating that.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

thewobbler

Sorry, but some people just shouldn't be given access to the tinterjingle for their own sakes. There's stupid, and then there is this.

Donagh

Always kind of wondered about this. The phishing scam that illdecide is relatively easy to pull off for those with good technical knowledge, not to mention the people the banks have employed here on their online systems wouldn't exactly inspire one with confidence. Not that I would ever do it or anything, but if someone did how can they get away with the cash? The only thing you can do with someones banking details is an electronic transfer, which can't be done quickly and can obviously be traced to the receiving account - so how do they get away with it?

You'll get you money back illdecide. I'm with Halifax as well and their security is a joke and I'd they'd be culpable for any losses.

the Deel Rover

i don't know would they Donagh, its like the chip and pin for the visa the bank is putting the onus of responsibility on the customer nobody should know your pin numbers except you just as nobody should know your security details for banking on line except yourself, it wasn't the bank that made the mistake it was illdecide unfortunately.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Snowed Under

Quote from: Donagh on January 03, 2008, 02:32:50 PM
Always kind of wondered about this. The phishing scam that illdecide is relatively easy to pull off for those with good technical knowledge, not to mention the people the banks have employed here on their online systems wouldn't exactly inspire one with confidence. Not that I would ever do it or anything, but if someone did how can they get away with the cash? The only thing you can do with someones banking details is an electronic transfer, which can't be done quickly and can obviously be traced to the receiving account - so how do they get away with it?

You'll get you money back illdecide. I'm with Halifax as well and their security is a joke and I'd they'd be culpable for any losses.

100% certain that you will, when money leaves you account it has to go to a holding account, it doesn't simply go to another offshore account that can't be traced, if you discovered the error quick enough you should be ok.

Snowed Under

Quote from: tram on January 03, 2008, 02:43:54 PM
As a rule of thumb, if you get such an e-mail asking for your details to be updated, don't do so. Ring your branch on the main helpline to confirm that they really do want this, 99% of the time its fake.

Its 100% a fake - no bank will ever do it.

Donagh

Even if the Halifax do deny any responsibility I still don't see how the scammers can get away with the money. The machines used to send the scam email from should be able to be hunted down eventually using the scam email header and the money still needs to go to another bank account and I assume in this day and age no bank is going to allow one of their accounts to be used in this way.

BTW, I received a scam Halifax email a few months back and it was by far the most convincing of any of these things I've ever seen. Almost had me convinced and I would be fairly experienced with IT.

Snowed Under

Quote from: tram on January 03, 2008, 02:51:24 PM
Quote from: Snowed Under on January 03, 2008, 02:47:06 PM
Quote from: tram on January 03, 2008, 02:43:54 PM
As a rule of thumb, if you get such an e-mail asking for your details to be updated, don't do so. Ring your branch on the main helpline to confirm that they really do want this, 99% of the time its fake.

Its 100% a fake - no bank will ever do it.
I just never like to say 100%. Maybe 99.9999999999999999999999999%

In this case you say 100%.  ;)

imtommygunn

I wouldn't be so sure about that snowed under.

About 6 months ago with the nationwide I had a failed direct debit as it made me go overdrawn. Two days later I got a phone call to the house from a boy from Nationwide with his first question to me being security details. I, like a lot of people on here have said, found this strange and refused to answer his questions and said I would ring them myself. He gave me the nationwide phone number and I rang them through and sorted it through that.

All credit card fraud bank fraud etc should in some way be traceable. You need an end point, ie bank account for this, which obviously must belong to somebody. From there it should be fit to be traced through the bank then the individual - or fraudulant individual. It should be close to being as traceable as credit card fraud. Your only issue is if you don't catch it quick enough and they're fraudsters with good fake id, address etc.They don't seem too strict on prosecuting for things like this though whne they are caught. Some (stupid)fraudsters nab credit cards through the post and then get stuff delivered to their own house - then they don't even get prosecuted.