Kieran McGeeney is New Kildare Manager

Started by Seany, September 18, 2007, 09:20:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seany

Yes it's true.  Nice to break a bit of news on my first post, or maybe you all knew.  Apparently Grimley is with him too.  The plot thickens when you consider ARMAGH AND kILDARE ARE IN THE SAME DIVISION...

ziggysego

He's only been linked to the job, nothing is confirmed.
Testing Accessibility

cill_dara

Lads you should read the Kildare Board nobody knows yet, it's getting ridiculous!! All th names under the sun so nothing said until it's officially announced!

Barney

Dinny Breen

I heard this last week and also heard Canavan was approached. Of the two McGeeney would be my choice, he's good friends with Glen Ryan so I'd imagine Glen would be coming on board as a selector. The key to his appointment is of course Grimley, Newstalk seem to think the appointment was immanent and Ger Gilroy was like a 6 year old in his excitement calling McGeeney the new Keane.

If we had that team on board and a proper 3 year plan I think we could be definite challengers in Leinster again, he has division 1 football next year to work with and a very competitive club football championship, a bit of northern steel in Kildare football could make all the difference.

I for one am quite excited by the prospect by the Geezer revolution and hope it's not pie in the sky...
#newbridgeornowhere

Gaaboardmod3

Over the Bar, that was way over the line. Deleted.

Over the Bar

QuoteOver the Bar, that was way over the line. Deleted.

?? ??? ??

amallon

Great players don't always make great managers but McGeeney strikes me as a man who would be a decent manager.  I think its a good move for Kildare.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

parttimeexile

Quote from: Over the Bar on September 19, 2007, 09:14:32 AM
QuoteOver the Bar, that was way over the line. Deleted.

?? ??? ??

OTB I didn't think there was too much wrong with that. Bit of a joke. Some people take themselves too seriously!!

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 19, 2007, 08:27:15 AM
I heard this last week and also heard Canavan was approached. Of the two McGeeney would be my choice, he's good friends with Glen Ryan so I'd imagine Glen would be coming on board as a selector. The key to his appointment is of course Grimley, Newstalk seem to think the appointment was immanent and Ger Gilroy was like a 6 year old in his excitement calling McGeeney the new Keane.

If we had that team on board and a proper 3 year plan I think we could be definite challengers in Leinster again, he has division 1 football next year to work with and a very competitive club football championship, a bit of northern steel in Kildare football could make all the difference.

I for one am quite excited by the prospect by the Geezer revolution and hope it's not pie in the sky...
Dinny,
are the rumours that Grimley will be part of the package?
If so then that would be a fantastic coup for Kildare.
If its McGeeney on his own, then its another potential Steve Staunton scenario.
It could go either way.
Initially the players and fans will lead to so much hype and enthusiasm, that it is bound to up Kildares confidence and perf (I think Kildare have as good a squad - talent wise- as Meath at least). So this will carry them some distance, and it all depends on the Leinster draw.
BUT when the going gets tough, and its tactical decisions McGeeney has to make, his lack of experience could bring the whole thing crashing down. Kildare being a daycent bunch, wont ridicule him though and he would be given every help and benefit of any doubts etc
Thats obv if he is appointed (and appointed without Grimley).

If Grimley is part of it, then he will be the tactician behind the scenes with McGeeney as front man and the guy who will whip the side into shape.
Interesting times.
Also interesting that RTE are reputedly going to pay €20 million for TV rights over the next three years. The last 3 year deal was only worth €12 million ! ! !

orangeman

O'Dwyer was there in the 90's - he was a great success - there are a lot of resources there which will be useful.

Good luck to Kieran and co.

Over the Bar

Wud it not make more sense to have Grimley as the manager and Geezer as tea-boy?  I'd be surprised if Grimley wud want to be no 2 to a complete novice?    It's not as if Geezer would be the better frontman to the media either given his lack of personality.

orangeman

Geezer is very good with the media and will lighten up just like Keano !

Dinny Breen

QuoteDinny,
are the rumours that Grimley will be part of the package?

Seemingly that's a stuumbling block, Grimly is not keen on the travel from Armagh (McGeeney is based in Dublin). It would only work I believe if Grimley was on board, interesting few days ahead...
#newbridgeornowhere

cavan4ever

Quote from: Over the Bar on September 19, 2007, 09:52:27 AM
Wud itnow make more sense to have Grimley as the manager and Geezer as tea-boy?  I'd be surprised if Grimley wud want to be no 2 to a complete novice?    It's not as if Geezer would be the better frontman to the media either given his lack of personality.

He did it in cavan last year but it was clear to be seen that it was Grimley who called the shots.