Armagh's Management had poor day at the office ..

Started by Long time dead, July 08, 2007, 07:33:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mackers

I would think the jury's out on Rafferty. This year was a bit of a wipe out but I suppose he could argue that when he came in the injuries started to mount up. I must say that it's not as if Clarke's injury happened two weeks before the championship and really good management would have adjusted our style of play in the forwards as the long high balls that had been so successful with Clarke and McDonnell under them were never going to work as well without Clarke.  The only time that I can remember us varying from this tactic was in the 04 Ulster final when the half forwards were allowed up to support the two man full forward line and we reeked havoc that day. Only M O'Rourke seemed to want to take on his man on Sunday. Pacy forwards who can take on their men and commit other defenders, surely this could have been worked on over the winter.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

balladmaker

Now Joe deserves full credit for what he has achieved for Armagh, he brought us our first All Ireland and that will never be forgotten. 

However, I do not subscribe to the view that Joe should always have the last say as to when he quits as manager.  I believe that should he wish to stay on for another year, for the good of Armagh football and rebuilding, his hand should be forced and made to go.

It is now that Armagh need new ideas and a fresh approach.  Joe should be given the chance to walk away on his on terms gracefully which hopefully he will do. Paul Grimley is the man for the job.

naka

Balladmaker well said, I do hope that Joe does not overstay his time a la pete mc grath, my feeling is that we do have some super young players coming through, dyas, toal vernon, lavery, as well as clarke, mallon , mallon, and aaron. my hope is that mc grane stays as captain and enda stays( thought he was excellent this year )as well as bellew.
if so with grimley and geezer taking over i wouldnt be too down hearted

orangeman

See my post in Potential new Armagh managers about if Paul Hearty hadn't dropped that ball in Ballybofey ! What do you think ?

Armamike

orangeman, focusing on an individual error like that is only papering over the cracks. Yeah if Hearty hadn't dropped it who knows. Then again who's to say Donegal wouldn't have gotten a couple of points in any event - they were coming back anyway. The root of the problem has been a lack of scoring ability and that has been a real problem for quite some time -throughout all of the league campaign and stretching back to last year and even before that.  Joe Kernan couldn't wave a wand and conjure up more forwards, but there were one or 2 other options he could have tried but didn't. Either he was very blinkered in his thinking or he didn't have enough faith in his subs bench.
That's just, like your opinion man.

MacCruiskeen

What exactly is the evidence supporting Paul Grimley's case as a successor?

Armagh Exile

I have been studying this over and on reflection I have come to the conclusion that Joe Kernan should remain as manager but should drop his backroom team and appoint a completely new assistant, trainer, coach, etc.  Stay for a 3 year period and in conjunction with his new mentors should sort out a new panel of players - which would include the bulk of the present squad - and be left to get on with the task of rebuilding a side to not only challenge but to win an All-ireland.
Mickey Harte got rid of this trainer and won another All-Ireland.  Seamus McEneaney sacked his backroom team and appointed a new one and his side is in Sunday's Ulster final.
I still feel that Armagh have the nucleas of a good team with the inclusion of a few fresh faces like Gareth O'Neill (Dromintee), David McKenna (Crossmaglen) to name but two.

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

orangeman

I personally think that it should be Joe who decides whether to stay or go - he's been the main man as past 6 years - so let him have the final say -

corn02

It should certainly not be up to the manger to decide, by your reasoning any manager who is successful in the early days can stay on as long as they like?

tevez

First of all Joe will definately go, it's time for a change. McGrane, McGeeney, McNulty, Marsden, McConville, Bellew will retire. By the way Paddy McKeever should as well, he has definetly lost it. Replacement for Joe is hard to say, anyone from John Rafferty, Peter Rafferty, Peter McDonnell, Paul Grimley, Ciaran McGeneey.
Whoever is the manager should definitely look to the future. My team would be
1. Hearty
2. Mallon
3. Toner/Moriarty
4. Donaghy
5.Kernan
6. McKeever
7. Dyas
8. Lavery
9. Vernon
10. Liam O'Hare
11. Mallon
12. Martin O'Rourke
13. McDonnell
14. Clarke
15. Toal/Foker/ Michael O'Rourke whichever one shows best through the league.

I feel this team has alot of promise and if it was coached right and was fully dedicated could do very well.

Last thing. I would like to thank Joe and the boys I have mentioned that will probably retire for the effort they put in and the success they brought to Armagh. They will always be remebered.