Armagh v Down - USFC Semi-Final - Clones, 4pm, Sun 30th April

Started by balladmaker, April 24, 2023, 08:20:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snoopdog

Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 02, 2023, 12:20:47 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on May 02, 2023, 12:03:26 PM
For all the negative talk about Clones- yes its old and run but that adds to the magic of it. Call it soul or whatever but there is something special about it. The miles of traffic crawling for miles, the struggle for parking, the walk from whatever field you manage to get parked in, the noise and colour in the town, the struggle to get a pint in a plastic up and fhe bad burger and the walk up that hill. Then the ancient benches and the stink of the toilets.  All that stuff that seems annoying at the time but when you look back adds to the occasion.

Some memories for anyone from Ulster on here and probably a lot of that would be lost at a shiny new Casement.

I take it you are a single man with no children  ;D

An utter nightmare. Last year the sun shone. I hope it does the same this year!
Great memories on a sunny day. But god its a miserable hole on a wet dreary day like last Sunday.

JimStynes

For all the negative talk about Clones- yes its old and run but that adds to the magic of it. Call it soul or whatever but there is something special about it. The miles of traffic crawling for miles, the struggle for parking, the walk from whatever field you manage to get parked in, the noise and colour in the town, the struggle to get a pint in a plastic up and fhe bad burger and the walk up that hill. Then the ancient benches and the stink of the toilets.  All that stuff that seems annoying at the time but when you look back adds to the occasion.

Some memories for anyone from Ulster on here and probably a lot of that would be lost at a shiny new Casement.

All great as a young fella but I hate the thought of going to games in it now. I'd rather they brought the final to Croke Park than have to go to Clones.

Armagh18

Quote from: snoopdog on May 02, 2023, 12:22:45 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 02, 2023, 12:20:47 PM

I take it you are a single man with no children  ;D

An utter nightmare. Last year the sun shone. I hope it does the same this year!
Great memories on a sunny day. But god its a miserable hole on a wet dreary day like last Sunday.
Think the fact Armagh were winning cancelled out any negativity about the weather, was too happy to through to a final to care about the soaking lol.

armaghniac

Quote from: snoopdog on May 02, 2023, 11:51:24 AM
The ground in Clones really has been let  go. All the county grounds in Ulster are now better. The turnstiles were a joke. Toilets, less said the better. Roll on the new casement.

This a function of Casement waiting in the wings, of course. If there was no Casement project then there would have been upgrades in Clones in recent years.
That said, the jacks behind the Gerry Arthurs stand were adequate for a stadium.
Going to Croke park is fine if you have a good crowd, not likely with Derry in the final.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Armagh18

Quote from: armaghniac on May 02, 2023, 12:38:33 PM
Quote from: snoopdog on May 02, 2023, 11:51:24 AM
The ground in Clones really has been let  go. All the county grounds in Ulster are now better. The turnstiles were a joke. Toilets, less said the better. Roll on the new casement.

This a function of Casement waiting in the wings, of course. If there was no Casement project then there would have been upgrades in Clones in recent years.
That said, the jacks behind the Gerry Arthurs stand were adequate for a stadium.
Going to Croke park is fine if you have a good crowd, not likely with Derry in the final.
We would take a serious serious crowd to croker for a final I think.

ClubScene13

Yous are like Leeds United fans, Armagh would've took 30,000. But will hold the hands up, serious numbers going back as far as I can remember. The crowds at Tyrone Armagh in the noughties were class

Wildweasel74

Armagh 18, u no worry about taking a crowd to Croker for a final, neither any other Ulster team

tonto1888

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 02, 2023, 02:12:18 PM
Armagh 18, u no worry about taking a crowd to Croker for a final, neither any other Ulster team

I assume he meant for an Ulster final

Armagh18

Quote from: tonto1888 on May 02, 2023, 05:40:52 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 02, 2023, 02:12:18 PM

I assume he meant for an Ulster final
That's what the conversation was, yes