Tyrone v Monaghan - Healy Park, Omagh - 16/04/2023 16:00

Started by CK_Redhand, April 12, 2023, 04:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

There's a top 10 this year so far.
The 8 who were in Div 1 plus Derry and Dublin.
Which of them are genuine contenders for Sam?
Dublin, Kerry, Galway by 2022 Championship performances.
Possibly Mayowestros on their League showings.
A semi final appearance is the limit for the remaining 6.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Armagh18

Quote from: Rossfan on April 19, 2023, 10:21:36 AM
There's a top 10 this year so far.
The 8 who were in Div 1 plus Derry and Dublin.
Which of them are genuine contenders for Sam?
Dublin, Kerry, Galway by 2022 Championship performances.
Possibly Mayowestros on their League showings.
A semi final appearance is the limit for the remaining 6.
Wouldn't say a semi is the limit. Would you be hugely surprised if Tyrone, Derry, yourselves or ourselves were to turn over one of those 4 in a semi final? Maybe a bit of a shock but not massively so

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/04/19/darragh-o-se-why-dublin-are-my-all-ireland-favourites-this-year-even-ahead-of-kerry/

And as good as Monaghan were, I think Tyrone will be more of a threat at the business end of the championship. Too many of their players were off-form on Sunday, but they haven't gone away. I don't think the Ulster championship was a priority for them.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Armamike

Quote from: seafoid on April 19, 2023, 11:31:48 AM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/04/19/darragh-o-se-why-dublin-are-my-all-ireland-favourites-this-year-even-ahead-of-kerry/

And as good as Monaghan were, I think Tyrone will be more of a threat at the business end of the championship. Too many of their players were off-form on Sunday, but they haven't gone away. I don't think the Ulster championship was a priority for them.

Has a Kerry man ever publicly tipped them for the All Ireland? 
That's just, like your opinion man.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: Captain Obvious on April 18, 2023, 04:03:56 PM
Dick Clerkin

"if that Tyrone team goes on and competes for Sam Maguire this summer, I will lick Rory Gallagher's post match palms"

Dick still raging about losing the games that really mattered against Tyrone as a player  ;D. He might be a better pundit if he could move on. Wonder how he defines "competes" too. If Tyrone end up even making the last four then he might be making an awkward call to Rory Gallagher.

Disappointing to see the likes of Peter Harte and Niall Morgan in particular coming in for criticism. Wasn't Peter's day but a great player for many years and I'd back him to bounce back again. Morgan too a class act and he did well in Sunday for the most part. His kicking was outstanding. Should have stopped the goal but given it seems pretty much everyone was shocked that O' Toole went for goal then maybe we should cut him some slack. It's perhaps a reflection on the game that going for goal at that stage is seen by many as a risk too big to take or as a reflection of naivety. Would be nice to think it might inspire a slight change of thinking. All credit to O'Toole, who also came across extremely well in his post match appearance on the GAA Social.

yellowcard

Dick Clerkin

"if that Tyrone team goes on and competes for Sam Maguire this summer, I will lick Rory Gallagher's post match palms"

It depends how you define competing for Sam Maguire. I'd still expect them to get out of the group and probably reach the quarter finals. After that I'm not sure. Dick would be more used to licking the GAA establishments asses and I don't expect to see him licking Rory Gallaghers hands. 

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Armagh18 on April 19, 2023, 10:01:14 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on April 19, 2023, 09:29:25 AM
It was a very close game. Tbh 9 times out of 10 that goal doesn't go in then everyone would have been saying how great Tyrone are. Dick Clerkin is another one of these ones who say things to get attention so not sure I would be paying much attention.

There are very few teams who will be genuine AI contenders anyway. Tbh for me there are probably only two.
Galway or Dublin? Obviously Kerry.

Looking at the odds Dublin and Kerry.  Mayo,Galway odds suggests they might reach the final but won't win against the two favourites.   

Schkite

::) Such a typical comment from someone who is only concerned with the viewpoint of the "big" team. He's always been like that tbh

Tyrone's players looked in pretty damn good form in the first half. And for a bit of balance, why not mention how Monaghan's players were in shocking form for that period of the game, and some of the main players didn't even have a good second half(D Hughes off injured, McCarron). Incredibly selective and unbalanced piece there

Blowitupref

Same was said about Tyrone last year when they lost to Derry. Only to go out of the championship tamely.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

seafoid

Quote from: Blowitupref on April 19, 2023, 06:50:09 PM

Same was said about Tyrone last year when they lost to Derry. Only to go out of the championship tamely.
Tyrone never followed up an all Ireland with a good year
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Blowitupref on April 19, 2023, 06:50:09 PM

There was no contest in that game though, not really comparable.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

tyrone08

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on April 19, 2023, 03:31:55 PM
Dick Clerkin

Dick still raging about losing the games that really mattered against Tyrone as a player  ;D. He might be a better pundit if he could move on. Wonder how he defines "competes" too. If Tyrone end up even making the last four then he might be making an awkward call to Rory Gallagher.

Disappointing to see the likes of Peter Harte and Niall Morgan in particular coming in for criticism. Wasn't Peter's day but a great player for many years and I'd back him to bounce back again. Morgan too a class act and he did well in Sunday for the most part. His kicking was outstanding. Should have stopped the goal but given it seems pretty much everyone was shocked that O' Toole went for goal then maybe we should cut him some slack. It's perhaps a reflection on the game that going for goal at that stage is seen by many as a risk too big to take or as a reflection of naivety. Would be nice to think it might inspire a slight change of thinking. All credit to O'Toole, who also came across extremely well in his post match appearance on the GAA Social.

I wouldn't say its a reflection on how the game is going as its always about risk verse reward. If he missed it then he would have been slated for a long time not taking the point.  You can praise him for taking the risk but there wouldn have been knifes out for him if he missed it. Imagine losing an ulster final or ai final for example for someone going for glory instead of levelling the game

trueblue1234

Quote from: Schkite on April 19, 2023, 06:41:46 PM

::) Such a typical comment from someone who is only concerned with the viewpoint of the "big" team. He's always been like that tbh

Tyrone's players looked in pretty damn good form in the first half. And for a bit of balance, why not mention how Monaghan's players were in shocking form for that period of the game, and some of the main players didn't even have a good second half(D Hughes off injured, McCarron). Incredibly selective and unbalanced piece there

I remember a certain comment about not winning an AI with Dooher in the team and eating hats. Be great if this came back to bite the bold Dick later in the year.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Main Street

Quote from: trueblue1234 on April 19, 2023, 11:10:55 PM
Quote from: Schkite on April 19, 2023, 06:41:46 PM

I remember a certain comment about not winning an AI with Dooher in the team and eating hats. Be great if this came back to bite the bold Dick later in the year.
Nah, Dick will not have to lick palms,  he has given his hips for the cause, he's a made man in Monaghan, an untouchable.