Tyrone v Monaghan - Healy Park, Omagh - 16/04/2023 16:00

Started by CK_Redhand, April 12, 2023, 04:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CK_Redhand

After a mixed league campaign for both sides they take on each other in the Ulster Championship this weekend.

I have to say I haven't felt as unenthusiastic about a championship match for years. I have a feeling that either side wouldn't be too bothered about being knocked out to avoid another tough match or two before the AI series begins.

rrhf

I can only see more ulster teams winning the all Ireland with the new format, in the future without the effort that needs to be put into ulster.

Redhand Santa

It's obviously not the end of the road to lose it but can still see enough benefits in winning to keep it interesting. I don't think a 6 week break will do any good at this stage of the season especially on the back of a loss. There is also a potential to stay away from Dublin and Kerry until a semi final by going the direct route. Plus it's still nice to win your provincial title.

You'd imagine Tyrone will line out as follows if all fit:

Morgan
McKernan
Hampsey
Quinn
Meyler
McNamee
Harte
Kennedy
Kilpatrick
Oguz
Mattie
McGeary
Burns (sweeper)
Canavan
McCurry

Though given the safety net there could also be the temptation to make a couple of changes and get players that could play important roles game time while still having a strong team. I'm thinking of the following:

Sludden
Devlin
McGleenan
McShane
R Canavan
M O'Neill

NotedObserver

Quote from: Redhand Santa on April 12, 2023, 05:08:21 PM
It's obviously not the end of the road to lose it but can still see enough benefits in winning to keep it interesting. I don't think a 6 week break will do any good at this stage of the season especially on the back of a loss. There is also a potential to stay away from Dublin and Kerry until a semi final by going the direct route. Plus it's still nice to win your provincial title.

Morgan
McKernan
Hampsey
Quinn
Meyler
McNamee
Harte
Kennedy
Kilpatrick
Oguz
Mattie
McGeary
Burns (sweeper)
Canavan
McCurry

Though given the safety net there could also be the temptation to make a couple of changes and get players that could play important roles game time while still having a strong team. I'm thinking of the following:

Sludden
Devlin
McGleenan
McShane
R Canavan
M O'Neill

Think that team will start but think mcgeary may miss out 

An Watcher

Forecast looking good for Sunday should bump the crowd up a bit

Armagh18

Quote from: CK_Redhand on April 12, 2023, 04:36:56 PM
After a mixed league campaign for both sides they take on each other in the Ulster Championship this weekend.

I have to say I haven't felt as unenthusiastic about a championship match for years. I have a feeling that either side wouldn't be too bothered about being knocked out to avoid another tough match or two before the AI series begins.
Tyrone have an decent outside chance at an All Ireland, Monaghan haven't a hope of winning it. Why would either side not what to win Ulster? At the end of the day players want to win trophies and neither of those 2 can afford to turn their nose up at one

Redhand Santa

Yeah gaa attitudes can be messed up. It's like teams putting a lot of effort into the leagues and then no one caring about winning it or wanting to celebrate it.

Winning ulster playing 3 games over the next 6 weeks is not going to reduce your chances of winning an all ireland. If anything it's going to improve it both by giving a slightly easier route and building confidence and getting high level match exposure. Being ulster champs is nothing to be sniffed at.

God14

Quote from: NotedObserver on April 12, 2023, 08:13:37 PM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on April 12, 2023, 05:08:21 PM

Morgan
McKernan
Hampsey
Quinn
Meyler
McNamee
Harte
Kennedy
Kilpatrick
Oguz
Mattie
McGeary
Burns (sweeper)
Canavan
McCurry

Sludden
Devlin
McGleenan
McShane
R Canavan
M O'Neill

Think that team will start but think mcgeary may miss out

You havnt missed any, id be along the same lines of thinking.
Although I havnt given up on one of Paudie McNulty or Peter Teague coming into the picture, injuries permitting. I believe we could do with another option even coming off the bench in the middle third

Main Street

Quote from: Redhand Santa on April 13, 2023, 08:00:37 AM
Yeah gaa attitudes can be messed up. It's like teams putting a lot of effort into the leagues and then no one caring about winning it or wanting to celebrate it.

Winning ulster playing 3 games over the next 6 weeks is not going to reduce your chances of winning an all ireland. If anything it's going to improve it both by giving a slightly easier route and building confidence and getting high level match exposure. Being ulster champs is nothing to be sniffed at.
The Ulster championship is an incentive for the winner, first seeds in the group  offsetting somewhat the 3 hard games and shorter break, but the runner up has much less reward for same.
Should Tyrone go out in this qf  or in the sf, I don't think there will too much gnashing of teeth.

rrhf

Problem is if ye beat Monaghan you can go soft on Derry. It's basically an ulster decider and when you draw swords you gotta use them..

seafoid

Monaghan have been mediocre in the championship in recent years. Maybe Vinny Corey will bring something different this year.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Fuzzman

Remember Thur nights where the team was named and you could talk in depth about the upcoming match.
Changed times.
Will we get 10K at it?

clarshack

Quote from: Fuzzman on April 13, 2023, 09:04:06 PM
Remember Thur nights where the team was named and you could talk in depth about the upcoming match.
Changed times.
Will we get 10K at it?

Doubt it.

square_ball

Changed times.
Will we get 10K at it?

They were listening Fuzzman. Debate away about the line up.

https://tyronegaa.ie/squad-named-for-ulster-football-championship-opener/

Redhand Santa

Quote from: square_ball on April 13, 2023, 09:20:57 PM
Changed times.
Will we get 10K at it?

They were listening Fuzzman. Debate away about the line up.

https://tyronegaa.ie/squad-named-for-ulster-football-championship-opener/

Bit of a shock O'Neill starting ahead of oguz but they've always liked him. Plenty of options on the bench. Great to see Thursday night teams back.