2006 All Stars

Started by Spiritof98, November 22, 2006, 11:29:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Quote from: slow corner back on November 23, 2006, 10:26:03 PM
Enough of this football malarkey, whats the betting for the hurling all stars? Cats to clean up again? Kilkenny 6 or 7, Cork four or five, Waterford two probably Ken McGrath and big Dan, Clare one or two plus Eoin Kelly from Tipp hard to see anyone outside this making the cut.

Ha. This is a football board these days, with a bit of hurling to add some colour (microcosm of the GAA, now that I think about it).

Pleased with Waterford's haul. I thought only Dan would get one because Kilkenny and Cork would hoover up 13 awards before they looked outside of the All-Ireland final. But good to see Tony Browne's Herculean displays have not gone unnoticed - is eight years the longest gap between a first and second award? - and Eoin Murphy showing it ain't just the marquee names who can play. Hopefully this will encourage the panel to make a right go at it next year. Yes, very pleased indeed.

Uladh

Does the selection of Donal Og last night clear the gpa of previous charges of bias in recognising him on their team?

Mike Sheehy

QuoteIt was commented on here at the time, certainly by Hardy if my memory serves me well, that the ref effectively killed the Francie v Donaghey contest with his use of the yellow early on and the immortal line "once more and you're off!" It was after this that Donaghey did the damage.

If applying the rules and leveling the playing field "Killed the contest" then perhaps Armagh had no business showing up. To paraphrase Kieran McGeeney "if it's pulling and dragging they want then we'll pull and drag !" 

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on November 26, 2006, 07:17:39 AM
QuoteIt was commented on here at the time, certainly by Hardy if my memory serves me well, that the ref effectively killed the Francie v Donaghey contest with his use of the yellow early on and the immortal line "once more and you're off!" It was after this that Donaghey did the damage.

If applying the rules and leveling the playing field "Killed the contest" then perhaps Armagh had no business showing up. To paraphrase Kieran McGeeney "if it's pulling and dragging they want then we'll pull and drag !" 

Mike, don't take the quote out of context - I would have thought that you'd more in you than that.

I've no problem believing that the ref can justify his actions that day via the rule book. My issue is with double standards, i.e. one for Francie and another for the rest. As an example of this, I watched the current All Star full back pull, drag, haul and wrestle Ronan Clarke over two games - and the ball was fifty yards away!!

By all means book players for pulling - but let's do it to more than just those that the press/fans/opposition give a bad reputation to!  ;) 

stephenite

Congratulations to Keith Higgins on the well deserved award for young player of the year