Acceptable entrance fees / what are you willing to pay?

Started by thewobbler, April 25, 2018, 08:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Just saw that it's £9/€10 into the Ulster Minor FC game on Saturday evening.

This is a bunch of 16 year olds playing in the opening round of a championship. I'd chuck a fiver in to acknowledge running costs, but out of principle I won't pay £9 to watch children play early stage football.

But I'm also now doubting myself.

Am I cheap skate? Am I stuck in 2001? Or am I right?

ONeill

I wonder how they arrive at the price for any game.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Syferus

thewobbler

Quote from: Syferus on April 25, 2018, 08:49:51 PM
You're a cheap skate.

Maybe I am. But I'm currently taking heart from that you're wrong about everything else.

Cunny Funt

Aren't they mostly 17 year olds? €5 more than enough for early round game.

macdanger2

€30 for the stand and €25 everywhere else for Mayo v Galway in two weeks time, steep enough for a QF match even if it promises to be a decent game

full moon

Id pay 20 max unless it was a provincial final or late stage all Ireland. Thats for senior

Dont care about U17 really, too young many will quit by senior. Id attend all Ireland final though

Boycey

I was charged €5 into a club minor league match last night..

Therealdonald

I can remember a few years ago a club in Tyrone charging entrance into minor league games. But they always seemed to have a great crowd at the games. Made a few bob for any hungry treasurer I'm sure.

magpie seanie

Quote from: thewobbler on April 25, 2018, 08:23:09 PM

This is a bunch of 16 year olds playing in the opening round of a championship. I'd chuck a fiver in to acknowledge running costs, but out of principle I won't pay £9 to watch children play early stage football.

You'd be the first to complain if they weren't properly kitted out, fed and watered and looked after medically. All that stuff has to be paid for. £9/€10 is not excessive and who knows....you might even enjoy it.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Boycey on April 25, 2018, 11:00:27 PM

Tipperary U21 B Football Semi Final.

Stand alone fixture.

€10.

And then they wonder why people won't go.

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 26, 2018, 12:34:17 PM

Stand alone fixture.

€10.

That's too much. Not all bad in Tipp though I hear. Friend of mine was down there a couple of weekends ago when there was hurling championship on. They do a pass that gets you into all games over a weekend that's very reasonably priced. There should be more of that.

thewobbler

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 26, 2018, 12:29:14 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on April 25, 2018, 08:23:09 PM

You'd be the first to complain if they weren't properly kitted out, fed and watered and looked after medically. All that stuff has to be paid for. £9/€10 is not excessive and who knows....you might even enjoy it.

You're probably right Seanie. It costs quite a few £k per week to run a county minor team during peak season, and the fairest way to pay for it is through supporters.

But... the vast majority of this money won't go to the counties. It's Ulster Council money.

AZOffaly

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 26, 2018, 12:44:11 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 26, 2018, 12:34:17 PM

Stand alone fixture.

€10.

That's too much. Not all bad in Tipp though I hear. Friend of mine was down there a couple of weekends ago when there was hurling championship on. They do a pass that gets you into all games over a weekend that's very reasonably priced. There should be more of that.

Yes, that was absolutely excellent value. It was €15 and it allowed you go to all Senior and Intermediate championship matches. They also staggered the times across the weekend to make it valuable. With double headers, etc, you probably could have seen 10 games for that price.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM