AIQF 2017 Tír Eoghain vs Ard Macha, Sat. August 5th @4pm

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, July 17, 2017, 06:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor

The key for us on Saturday is to go out and play football.
If this happens there will be only 1 winner.

As in 2014 if we allow Armagh to get in our faces and get dragged down to their level it can only hurt us and affect us for Dublin game.

Expect the unexpected against them

illdecide

I thought you men would know by now that what them fools say on TSG is a load of shite, this happened 3 years ago and the personal is not there to do that again. Armagh are not a physical team (bar James Morgan who is the hardiest fella I've seen, fecking man would tackle the Cliffs of Moher). Possibly A Forker too but is playing much better now that he's realised playing football and staying on the pitch gives your team a much better chance of winning.
Fuzzman i generally like your posts but you are pumping Tyrone up to be Dublin & Kerry combined..."If you play football against Tyrone you will be cleaned out". That's nonsense, If you play football and deliver good quality first time ball into the forward line you can beat Tyrone or any team for that matter. Our problem will be keeping Tyrone out at the other end...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

illdecide

Quote from: Taylor on August 02, 2017, 11:14:03 AM
The key for us on Saturday is to go out and play football.
If this happens there will be only 1 winner.

As in 2014 if we allow Armagh to get in our faces and get dragged down to their level it can only hurt us and affect us for Dublin game.

Expect the unexpected against them

I believe it's been 9 years from Tyrone won the all ireland ::)

Yeah sounds just like words from an Armagh fan
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Ethan Tremblay

I doubt the same thing will happen again.  Playing under Paul Grimley they had that mentality of don't give them an inch, get them first anyway you can.  That year there was the Cavan parade fiasco before the match started, the Tyrone game as the match started and then the Donegal row in the Q/F shortly after it started.
Armagh haven't been involved in any of that in this championship so nothing to suggest they will. 

You would think Mickey is putting the pressure of the ref that any remotely hefty challenges are premeditated.  And a high stakes game like this you would say there would be 1 or 2. 

Ps Tyrone in 2014 were no world beaters, there were very much Armagh's level     
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

yellowcard

Tyrone supporters trying to anoint themselves as some sort of superior footballing county in the build up to this game is quite comical. To the best of my knowledge this Tyrone team have repeatedly failed at the AI qf/sf stage but you would swear that it was Kerry/Dublin that were taking on Armagh on Saturday. Tyrone still have plenty to prove and outside of Harte and Donnelly they have no real standout special players. Overall quality wise though they definitely have an edge in the middle 8 sector of the field but Armagh have an edge up front in terms of inside forwards and need to concentrate on kicking the ball long and early into their FF line before the Tyrone blanket has time to form. The Tyrone full back line is not the greatest and this is where Armagh can cause damage if the ball in is quick ball. I think we will need a couple of goals to stand a chance of winning this match and if Murnin is not fit it will have a big impact on our game plan. If Armagh engage in a slow ponderous running game it will suit Tyrone perfectly as there is only one winner if it turns into an arm wrestle.

mackers

Quote from: illdecide on August 02, 2017, 11:19:18 AM
I thought you men would know by now that what them fools say on TSG is a load of shite, this happened 3 years ago and the personal is not there to do that again. Armagh are not a physical team (bar James Morgan who is the hardiest fella I've seen, fecking man would tackle the Cliffs of Moher). Possibly A Forker too but is playing much better now that he's realised playing football and staying on the pitch gives your team a much better chance of winning.
Fuzzman i generally like your posts but you are pumping Tyrone up to be Dublin & Kerry combined..."If you play football against Tyrone you will be cleaned out". That's nonsense, If you play football and deliver good quality first time ball into the forward line you can beat Tyrone or any team for that matter. Our problem will be keeping Tyrone out at the other end...
Exactly.  It's lazy analysis to say this is a big bad Armagh team who will bully Tyrone.  Fuzz you are following the words of the media who are following the "physical" Armagh crap.  If Armagh start the Rambo stuff on Saturday it will suit Tyrone and will be a major mistake on our management's behalf.  The Armagh supporters who have followed their team all year know this better than the likes of Colm O'Rourke.  You're not dealing with the Francie Bellews and McEntees any more.
The Tyrone posters are saying that they hope that they don't get sucked into a physical battle and lose their discipline, I honestly would say the opposite.  I hope that the likes of Aidan Forker can keep his head because I'd say he's going to get his buttons pushed on Saturday evening and he has been too quick to take the bait before.  Illdecide is correct, he's playing much better this last few weeks because he has been concentrating on his football.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

WT4E

Love Tyrone v Armagh games.

Gormleys block
McGuigan putting geezer on his hole and kicking a beauty in croker
Canavans free to put an end to the eternal Ulster Champs of the noughties

Tyrone should win but I hope its a good game for a while - Would be great if we could get baldy mckeever on the field and someone nail him near the end in retribution for putting his hand on God in 2005. But do we have anyone who could? McNamee - Hampsey - Mattie?

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: yellowcard on August 02, 2017, 11:53:34 AM
Tyrone supporters trying to anoint themselves as some sort of superior footballing county in the build up to this game is quite comical. To the best of my knowledge this Tyrone team have repeatedly failed at the AI qf/sf stage but you would swear that it was Kerry/Dublin that were taking on Armagh on Saturday. Tyrone still have plenty to prove and outside of Harte and Donnelly they have no real standout special players. Overall quality wise though they definitely have an edge in the middle 8 sector of the field but Armagh have an edge up front in terms of inside forwards and need to concentrate on kicking the ball long and early into their FF line before the Tyrone blanket has time to form. The Tyrone full back line is not the greatest and this is where Armagh can cause damage if the ball in is quick ball. I think we will need a couple of goals to stand a chance of winning this match and if Murnin is not fit it will have a big impact on our game plan. If Armagh engage in a slow ponderous running game it will suit Tyrone perfectly as there is only one winner if it turns into an arm wrestle.

Is this the case?

How many of the Armagh forwards outside Clarke would start for Tyrone?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Fear ón Srath Bán

Wee plucky Division 3 Armagh getting all high and mighty, love it! :D ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

yellowcard

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on August 02, 2017, 12:20:19 PM

Is this the case?

Campbell and Murnin.

Main Street

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 02, 2017, 12:22:52 PM
Wee plucky Division 3 Armagh getting all high and mighty, love it! :D ;)
;D
It's obvious (to a neutral like myself) that Armagh have that GAA pedigree, whereas Tyrone are the bolsheviks of the GAA world.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: yellowcard on August 02, 2017, 12:32:55 PM

Is this the case?

Campbell and Murnin.

Clarke is the stand out forward from both teams.
Then in an attacking sense, Mattie donnelly, Harte, Sludden , Sean Cavanagh (on his day) are ahead of anything else Armagh would have.

I dont see an awful lot between the rest of the attacking players from both sides.

Tyrone certainly have more firepower to spring from the bench, with Oneill, mccurry, brennan etc.

I would be surprised to see Murnin start after the way he went off last week holding the hamstring
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

BennyHarp

Chill the beans Yellowcard, I don't think anyone is claiming superiority as a football county. I think most people are just pointing out that Tyrone are favourites for this particular game? Do you disagree? Do you disagree that Tyrone have been operating at a higher level over the past few seasons? (Div 3 compared to mainly div 1?) Tyrone are currently two time Ulster champions, when was Armaghs last provincial final? Contrary to what you might think Tyrone have been in All Ireland Semi finals twice in the past 4 years so hardly serial quarter final losers. So don't be getting all precious if people think Tyrone might win. Having said all that, it all means nothing in terms of Saturday's game, Armagh are currently playing at a level higher than Div 3 would suggest and Tyrone haven't really been tested. The local derby aspect brings an unknown element to the game too. There's a standard GAA analysis that the team expected to lose a game will always be labeled as needing to "bring the game down to their level" or will need to let the other team "know they are there". This is nonsense of course and Mickey Harte knows it too. His comments are a little mischievous but will have no baring on the game. For me Tyrone are much more comfortable in their game plan than Armagh. They will stick to plan A regardless of what Armagh do and it will probably be enough. (Im convinced Mickey has been developing this game plan to beat the Dubs whilst ssuming it will also be enough to beat other teams along the way - which hasn't always been the case) In my view if Armagh leave Jamie Clarke inside, he won't touch leather and the dodgy full back line has dealt with better players that Murnin. Can Armagh come up with and implement a game plan before Saturday? I hope not! Can't wait!
That was never a square ball!!

tyroneman

Is this the case?

Campbell and Murnin.

At the minute Campbell can't even get a start for Armagh (which is suprising as he looked an excellent prospect before this year)

From what I've seen Murnin has been consistently the best forward for Armagh this year and will be a big loss if he doesn't play.

These are very much 2 different teams from years before. Tyrone probably have the edge in physicality and have a well honed system. Armagh have serious momentum and seem to have reverted to the Cross template of kicking it long and quick, which is paying dividends.

Neither team are particualry dirty, however Armagh's tackling is very reckless and leads to a lot of unnnecessary frees. Forker, vastly improved as a player,  is probably still the weakest Armagh link in terms of temprement as he seems to get a yellow card almost every game he plays. Was he not taken off before getting sent off against Kildare last weekend (and that wasn't a dirty game)?

Absolute bonus territy for Armagh; anythng other than a 5+point defeat will be seen as progress.

For Tyrone this is a great game to focus the mind, take it off dreaming of a semi-final v Dublin and concentrate fully on the QF at hand. not sure if they would have been as focused v Monaghan.

At the end of the day however if Tyrone genuinely believe they are top 3 and serious contenders for the AI then they need to win this. No ifs buts or maybes.

As a Tyrone man I have nothing but repsect for all the genuine Armagh Gaels; the ones who follow the team everywhere, the ones who put in the hours coaching, fundraising, organising and playing for their local club etc and just hope this is as good a game as we are all thinking it will be. Win lose or draw we should al be fit to have some craic withour neighbours and be civil to one another before and after the game.

yellowcard

Quote from: tyroneman on August 02, 2017, 12:55:11 PM

Is this the case?

Campbell and Murnin.

At the minute Campbell can't even get a start for Armagh (which is suprising as he looked an excellent prospect before this year)

From what I've seen Murnin has been consistently the best forward for Armagh this year and will be a big loss if he doesn't play.

These are very much 2 different teams from years before. Tyrone probably have the edge in physicality and have a well honed system. Armagh have serious momentum and seem to have reverted to the Cross template of kicking it long and quick, which is paying dividends.

Neither team are particualry dirty, however Armagh's tackling is very reckless and leads to a lot of unnnecessary frees. Forker, vastly improved as a player,  is probably still the weakest Armagh link in terms of temprement as he seems to get a yellow card almost every game he plays. Was he not taken off before getting sent off against Kildare last weekend (and that wasn't a dirty game)?

Absolute bonus territy for Armagh; anythng other than a 5+point defeat wil be seen as progress.

For Tyrone this is a great game to focus the mind, take if off dreaming of a semi-final v Dublin and concentrate fully on the QF at hand. not sure if they would have been as focused v Monaghan.

At the end of the day however if Tyrone genuinely believe they are top 3 and serious contenders for the AI then they need to win this. No ifs buts or maybes.

That's a fair assessment.