We need to talk about Stephen Cluxton

Started by highorlow, July 16, 2017, 07:15:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Cluxton was far from the first to vary kick-outs either, despite what the frothing media machine would have you believe.

Also he is only a good, not great, shot stopper. Can get flustered if something goes wrong and then goes into full melt-down mode.

Hound

Problem is the rest of Leinster went to absolute shite for nearly a decade to exacerbate the gap that came with a Dublin team even better than the 70s lads. But we've never been too far ahead of Mayo and Kerry. Ironically, the one year I did think we were miles better than everyone else, Donegal didnt get the memo and kicked our asses. At that time if we'd gone 5 or 6 points up on any team in Leinster, they would have thrown the towel in.  So it was good to see Kildare not give up yesterday after the bad start. If Kildare and Meath aim to be as good as Mayo and Tyrone and Donegal, that's acheiveable and with that will come competitieness against the Dubs. We can only have 15 on the field at any one time.

Dublin v Tyrone semi final looks odds on this year, that'll be very interesting. I was glad not to have to play them the last 2 years. They are capable of making us run into cul-de-sacs and force us into Plans B and C which may us look a lot less comfortable. They're not always reliable enough at getting scores, but if they have a good day in front of the posts they'll take all the beating.

Also the workrate of Leinster teams doesn't match Tyrone, Donegal, Dublin, Mayo.

As Lar pointed out above, a big factor is population increase, increasing our pick. If a proper decentralisation policy had been brought in 20 years ago, maybe Con O'Callaghan would have been a Westmeath man. And he wouldn't have been any less talented. Maybe would have been more so as he may not have spent 50% of his GAA time with a hurl in his hand.

13 Leinsters for Cluxton. For me, he's the best Dublin player of all time. The best GAA keeper of all time. Not perfect, but nobody is. And like in any team sport, he relies on his teammates to make him look good too.

dublin7

Quote from: Syferus on July 17, 2017, 03:17:36 PM
Cluxton was far from the first to vary kick-outs either, despite what the frothing media machine would have you believe.

Also he is only a good, not great, shot stopper. Can get flustered if something goes wrong and then goes into full melt-down mode.

Cluxton started the trend in the early noughties with Shane Ryan a regular target. The cheer that goes up when a Cluxton kick out goes over the sideline shows how good he is. He can occasionaly get flustered (Kerry semi final last year) but in the 2nd half he was picking out Dublin players as if the 1st half never happened.

If you speak to any of the dublin players or read John Leonard (former sub keeper's) book they will tell you how hard he works on his game.

But I suppose Syf it's down to money as usual. ::)

Dave like the tv channel

He will be remembered as one of the greats, without a doubt. Quiet, unassuming etc etc. Had to overcome early-career f**k-ups too, but put them behind him to lead his team to numerous titles.

John O'Leary was the best keeper I saw live, but Cluxton has surpassed his now.

Buttofthehill

If I remember correctly, on his debut in 2001, Longford scored a goal direct from a 20 yard free. I remember thinking he won't be much good 8)

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

What was so good about John O'Leary? I remember him being there forever but I don't recall any greatness.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Syferus on July 17, 2017, 02:21:11 PM
Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on July 17, 2017, 01:33:54 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 17, 2017, 01:16:18 PM
Counties are going to have to face the inevitability of amalgamation.

I would hope by the time that inevitability rears its head, that the turkeys would feel compelled to vote against Christmas and go with a tiered Championship.

Amalgamations would be preferable to creating ghettos where none exsisted before.

A matter of opinion. My opinion would be that those under the threat of amalgamation would prefer to retain their very existence and play in a lesser, more competitive environment.

Syferus

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on July 18, 2017, 09:11:24 AM

I would hope by the time that inevitability rears its head, that the turkeys would feel compelled to vote against Christmas and go with a tiered Championship.

Amalgamations would be preferable to creating ghettos where none exsisted before.

A matter of opinion. My opinion would be that those under the threat of amalgamation would prefer to retain their very existence and play in a lesser, more competitive environment.

Sam or bust. This sport is not hurling.

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: Syferus on July 18, 2017, 09:27:32 AM

For once can you not just stick to the topic  - it's no wonder that there are so few Dublin contributors to this forum.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Syferus

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on July 18, 2017, 11:34:19 AM
Quote from: Syferus on July 18, 2017, 09:27:32 AM

For once can you not just stick to the topic  - it's no wonder that there are so few Dublin contributors to this forum.

Yeah, they prefer the echo chamber on RD. I doubt many here are too upset about that.

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on July 17, 2017, 04:50:35 PM
What was so good about John O'Leary? I remember him being there forever but I don't recall any greatness.

He did win 5 All-Star awards.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

TheGreatest

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on July 18, 2017, 09:43:53 PM

Yeah exactly the same as Cluxton, also won 8 Leinsters, 2 all Irelands and 3 leagues, but that doesn't matter to people who hate all things Dublin and can never give credit. O Leary was one the best.

Dublin have had 4 championship keepers since 74, Cluxton, O Leary and Cullen and a bonus point for the odd one out?

magpie seanie

Quote from: TheGreatest on July 19, 2017, 08:20:50 AM

Yeah exactly the same as Cluxton, also won 8 Leinsters, 2 all Irelands and 3 leagues, but that doesn't matter to people who hate all things Dublin and can never give credit. O Leary was one the best.

Dublin have had 4 championship keepers since 74, Cluxton, O Leary and Cullen and a bonus point for the odd one out?

Byrne?

TheGreatest

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 19, 2017, 08:27:41 AM

Byrne?

Gold star.

magpie seanie

Quote from: TheGreatest on July 19, 2017, 08:53:49 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on July 19, 2017, 08:27:41 AM

Byrne?

Gold star.

;D