Saturday July 22 Cork v Mayo, Gaelic Grounds, 5PM

Started by Lar Naparka, July 10, 2017, 03:23:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballaghman

Quote from: Rossfan on July 23, 2017, 12:09:10 PM
Sad to see a Roscommon man looking forward to having a 'rattle" at his own people :'(
Are you from Ballagh? If you are you're most likely a blow in. I stand with my people, always. 😉

Rossfan

No matter how much dribble ye slabber ye're not Mayo people and never will be.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

dublin7

Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 23, 2017, 08:56:52 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on July 22, 2017, 10:50:25 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 22, 2017, 10:22:13 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 22, 2017, 10:08:12 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on July 22, 2017, 09:42:50 PM
Quote from: Aaron Boone on July 22, 2017, 09:34:24 PM
A win is a win and Mayo are still there. Top 4 team.

Cafferky must have some serious dirt on mayo management to keep getting in picked. He's a liability at this stage after all his injuries and you would fear for mayo against Kerry/dubs if he plays FB. Kerry with their forwards dispatched cork with ease. Mayo are clearly on the slide and don't have the forwards to put teams away so while they win games. They have to grind out the win and the opposition always have a chance.

That's twice they have gone to extra time in the qualifiers this year and with an aging team (especially in defence) you would wonder will it catch up with them

They are finished, they've been finished now for two to three years! God only knows what Dublin were at last year that it took them a full 140+ minutes to put this lot away last year.

Not finished but peaked a few years ago. Dublin were running on empty when used up all of the energy to get past Kerry in the semi final. The Mayo team in the form of 2013 would have beaten Dublin last year.

Kerry game was their All Ireland and they were shot by the time they played Mayo. Worst performances of the season still good enough to beat Mayo. Since 2012 Dublin have either beaten/drawn with Mayo in every game league or championship. I think it's about 12 games at this stage. They clearly have Mayo's number. Kerry with their forwards and maybe Tyrone are the only teams who could beat Dublin
My friend, I wouldn't dream of telling you that you are spouting pure bullshit but there is a strong pong of taurine excrement off what you've written all the same.
Dublin had 20 days between the semi and the final to get fit and focussed once again and with superior resources to every other team in the land that should have been no problem to them.
Ten of the present Mayo panel work or study in Dublin and this means heading off in the late afternoon and returning about 3 or 4 in the early morning so they have little time for sleep and relaxation before getting back to whatever they do. I wonder what any of your bucks would feel if he had to do the same?
So Dublin were 'shot' going into the final. Shot me arse!
Even if your poor lads were still 'shot' after 20 days to recuperate, Mayo, being Mayo as usual, gifted them two own goals and still managed to hold the team of the present millennium, the last one and the next one to come, to a draw.
Mayo were just as effin shot as Dublin going into the replay and still lost by a single point after some diabolical reffin mistakes.
Tell you what; if Mayo had been able to swop places with Dublin last year and could have played in their own backyard with a minimum of travelling involved and a professional set up to rival, that of Man United, I don't think your tulips would be talking of a three in a row now.

The Kerry game was their All Ireland. The tank was empty for a lot of the players after the effort needed to beat Kerry. Two long seasons  on the go as well. It's all irrelevant anyway. Dubs stronger this year and Mayo weaker. Dubs freshening up their team introducing youngsters and Mayo relying on the same core players as the last 6/7 years and also Mayo won't get past Kerry this year anyway so Mayo won't have to deal Dublin media bashing like last year

Seamus

Quote from: criostlinn on July 23, 2017, 08:24:51 PM
Quote from: Seamus on July 23, 2017, 07:10:02 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on July 23, 2017, 09:26:32 AM
What's your verdict on Rochford, lads?

They seem to be ambling along under him and while unquestionably they were unlucky against Dublin last year, they used up a fair amount of their lives against Fermanagh, Tyrone, Derry and Cork as well as two exits in Connacht against Galway.

McLoughlin seemed to have developed into a very effective sweeper last year and in the big games against Tyrone and Dublin it seemed to add them with a bit of defensive structure and security which they always seemed to lack in the big games. This year he seems to have been completely abandoned it and the ease at which Cork cut right through the middle of Mayo yesterday is very worrying from their point of view. Mayo really are the own worst enemies at times.

I remember last year in injury time against Tyrone they hit a really loose free across their own goals which was intercepted and McCurry snatched at a great chance to draw us level. Yesterday you had an experienced player like Alan Dillon doing pretty much the exact same thing again. Mayo's ability to self destruct is unrivaled in the game and more that a porous defence, management and player discord or lack of a marquee forward, it is what has cost them an All Ireland.

My problem with what the players did with Holmes and Connelly in 2015 was that there seemed to be zero introspection on their own part in why they never won an All Ireland, 2 years on and the same sort of meltdowns are still happening with Mayo footballers in pressure cooker situations. They're good enough to win but they seem determined not to address their propensity to explode.

John Small got Man of the Match in the drawn final last year because McLoughlin was back playing sweeper. Time and time again Small received the ball with nobody near him and set up attack after attack scoring a point to booth. I would discount the own goal as that was unfortunate but personally I love seeing McLoughlin playing sweeper against us.

Dublin scored 5 points from play in that very same game. Hardly the best example you  could have used

Do you believe this was mainly down to McLouglin being sweeper?

Dublin uses Cian O'Sullivan in this role as did Kerry with Aidan O'Mahony. Mayo should do likewise and not have a wing forward back there 90% of the time.
"I wish I could inspire the same confidence in the truth which is so readily accorded to lies".

Farrandeelin

A few observations on Saturday's match. To score 0-27 and win by one point shows where the real concern lies. Subs made by Rochford were mad. Barrett should never have been taken off. The players who replaced them were no better thsn those taken off. Whatever anyone else thinks, in my opinion subs should strengthen the team, not put undue pressure instead. Speaking of undue pressure, Caff must be under a serious amount. He was taken to the cleaners on Saturday. Maybe his injury has taken its toll on him. Donncha O'Connor 36 years of age and Kerrigan I think afterwards destroyed him. Enough negatives, but they need to be addressed.

As I already said to score 0-27. Amazing scoreline. Forwards were simply outstanding. Cillian had his best game in ages. Magnificent. Aiden O'Shea had another massive performance too. He did however fade slightly towards the end. McLoughlin wasn't as good as he was against Clare but didn't do much wtong. Although one poor pass to a Cork player stands out. Andy was brilliant too. I know I often doubt him but he rarely has a poor game. Doherty had a good game too. Bringing on Alan Dillon nearly cost us the match. Stupid free to a Cork player who afterwards went down and kicked a wide.

Keegan needs to stop the playacting off the ball. Another card given wway carelessly by a Mayo defender. Boland must be dropped from the panel as he played with Aghamore according to MWR; might have picked that info up wrong though.

Up Mayo
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

magpie seanie

Heard a man on the radio pre game saying how Cafferkey's form was really improving. Whoops!

Hound

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 23, 2017, 03:20:11 PM
Some contrast from the Derry game in terms of shooting, Mayo had very few wides all day. Mayo couldn't have asked much more from Moran & COC, they got a great return from play from the both of them.

Agreed. Mayo's attacking play was very good, I think the Derry shooting performance can be written off as an aberration. Moran is a super bit of stuff, always wins more than his fair share of 50/50s against corner backs. AOS seems much more aware of his teammates this year, taking the right option almost all the time.

Defence was poor, but they'll fix that. Will do enough to get over the line v the Rossies and will put up their best performance of the year v Kerry.

Tubberman

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 24, 2017, 07:56:25 AM
A few observations on Saturday's match. To score 0-27 and win by one point shows where the real concern lies. Subs made by Rochford were mad. Barrett should never have been taken off. The players who replaced them were no better thsn those taken off. Whatever anyone else thinks, in my opinion subs should strengthen the team, not put undue pressure instead. Speaking of undue pressure, Caff must be under a serious amount. He was taken to the cleaners on Saturday. Maybe his injury has taken its toll on him. Donncha O'Connor 36 years of age and Kerrigan I think afterwards destroyed him. Enough negatives, but they need to be addressed.

As I already said to score 0-27. Amazing scoreline. Forwards were simply outstanding. Cillian had his best game in ages. Magnificent. Aiden O'Shea had another massive performance too. He did however fade slightly towards the end. McLoughlin wasn't as good as he was against Clare but didn't do much wtong. Although one poor pass to a Cork player stands out. Andy was brilliant too. I know I often doubt him but he rarely has a poor game. Doherty had a good game too. Bringing on Alan Dillon nearly cost us the match. Stupid free to a Cork player who afterwards went down and kicked a wide.

Keegan needs to stop the playacting off the ball. Another card given wway carelessly by a Mayo defender. Boland must be dropped from the panel as he played with Aghamore according to MWR; might have picked that info up wrong though.

Up Mayo

Agree with all that. I was thinking Caff would play himself into match fitness, but he absolutely roasted by a 36 year old O'Connor, so I really don't think we can risk him any longer.
Taking off Barrett made very little sense unless he was knackered (didn't look it), so that's another head scratcher of a substitution by Rochford, but in fairness he wouldn't have considered that Keegan would do something so stupid to get himself a black card.
In extra time I remember looking down at where our half-forward line should be, and it was Drake, Coen and DOC - we seemed to have lost all shape.
COC was at his best, scoring from play from both feet as well as frees and that pressure injury time 45 - maybe the constant naysayers might give it a rest for a while now.
I heard Boland was in Limerick with the other players who didn't make the 26.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

AZOffaly

Thoroughly enjoyed that game on Saturday, and as a neutral I'd just have a couple of comments.

In an attacking sense, scoring 0-27 looks great, and it is a great score even if you discount Extra Time, but I still think they are not getting the most out of their attacks. It seems to me that there is a degree of confusion within the team as to what the attacking strategy is. Moran and CO'C don't seem to know whether to make a run or hold, and I think that stems from the fact that they don't know what the half forwards and midfield are doing with the ball. Several times last Sat, Moran and/or C'OC were isolated 1 v 1 inside, and Mayo just refused to kick it in. After a while the lads stopped making the runs, and then that led to more ball being recycled before shots came in. Now as I said, you couldn't fault the scoreline, but if you want to get goals, I think they could have had serious joy with a couple of earlier balls played in.

In the second half of the game, and extra time, I think this improved a bit more. Maybe lads got a bit more tired carrying out the field, but Loftus, O'Connor and even Moran before he went off, were fed a few more balls in quicker, and so they started moving again, and I think Mayo got joy out of it. I think they need to mix it up a bit, but be a bit more aware of when they have those 1 v 1s inside.

Defensively, in the second half, you could have driven a coach and four through the heart of the defense. I'm not sure why the whole half back line was replaced (apart from Keegan obviously), but as soon as the half back line started to change, you could see Cork getting heart from their runs. Mayo then were allowing runners off the shoulder, and nobody was blocking up the middle. Sean Powter was doing wreck but Mayo just looked at it, and didn't or couldn't change it up. They were blessed that Cork didn't get another couple of goals. Cork ran out of steam, particularly around the middle of the field in Extra Time, they put in a massive effort to get back into the game, and those direct runs stopped for a while until the desperation stuff near the end, and even then the last pass/run was missing. Barrett coming back in probably helped that a bit as well.

Someone above mentioned Diarmuid O'Connor coming back into form, but I couldn't see it. I thought he and McLoughlin were disappointing. Maybe O'Connor got on more ball when he was on the opposite side of the pitch to me, but anytime I saw him he was very peripheral, and all I really remember him doing is soloing a ball over the end line. He looks low on confidence to me.

All in all I thought Mayo were the far more accomplished side, but they have weaknesses, some self inflicted, and they nearly contrived to lose a game they should and could have won comfortably. But fair play to Cork too, they showed there is a bit of gumption in them still.

PS. Aidan O'Shea, and Cillian O'Connor, two lads I've been very skeptical of were real leaders for Mayo on Saturday, when at times it looked as if they hadn't got many. O'Shea's left foot point in Extra time was a pivotal score. O'Connor never stopped looking for work in fairness to him, and took some nice scores himself.

PPS. Is it Lee Keegan's lot now to be plopped on whatever opposition player Rochford deems the most dangerous/influential? I realise he is very effective at it, but I think it's frustrating for him. I'd love to see him bombing up and down the wing, supporting attacks. Instead he basically shadowed Paul Kerrigan all over the pitch. Higgins could easily have done that too. Keegan as the spare man would be very interesting I think, might be a good counter attacking platform too.

Syferus

A junior team could have scored 25 on that weak-willed Cork defence. It was pathetic to watch how far off their men they always were, nevermind the number of times they left men totally free inside their own 45.

The idea Cork restored any pride with that sort of performance is frankly sad because it says Cork are a very bad side.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Syferus on July 24, 2017, 10:49:27 AM
A junior team could have scored 25 on that weak-willed Cork defence. It was pathetic to watch how far off their men they always were, nevermind the number of times they left men totally free inside their own 45.

The idea Cork restored any pride with that sort of performance is frankly sad because it says Cork are a very bad side.

I think you are being harsh on them Syf. It would have been very easy for Cork to lie down and let Mayo win by 10-15 points. They rallied twice or three times, and if nothing else, that shows a bit of heart and desire. And if you have those two, at least you can build from that.

They have a plethora of problems alright. Their important men are relatively old or injury plagued. Kerrigan, Donnacha O'Connor, COlm O'Neill, Michael Shields, Eoin Cadogan. But I saw enough in them to think they could and should be a lot better than they are.

rosnarun

Regarding boland I think Jason dohertys performance justified his dropping and is probably not seens as an impact player.
It was probably jasons best day in a mayo short and he must be a shoo in for sunday  ,
somebody mentioned Caff being under pressure  but from who? unless mayo decide to go with out a full back like they dis most of last year , Is Caolan Crowe up to the Job , I dont think we've seen enough of him to know
I wonder will  Rochford should  some of the bigger names for the Semi Im sure some knocks are being picked up along the way and I Saw aidan feeling his groin at one stage yesterday
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 24, 2017, 07:56:25 AM

Up Mayo

Very sound post Farr, it's as good a take on the game as I have seen.
If (and that's a big if,) we get by the Rossies with the same full backline as we had in Limerick, Kerry will absolutely destroy us.  In Limerick 2014, Donaghy was up against Cafferkey and he roasted him. To make matters worse, Jamesy was virtually unchallenged as he latched on to Donaghy's passes and scored almost at will.
According to Tomás Ó'Sé last night, Kerry got 2-07 of their scores from this pair and in spite of that, we should still have won the game. Mayo have perfected the art of blowing big leads when well on top and that along with inexplicable sideline gaffes, has cost us  a lot of games.
It's hard to know what to make of the Rossies this weekend. Are they as good as they appeared to be against Galway or as bad as they were during the league?
Ross has had some useful u21a during the past decade or so and it was a wonder how so few of them were able to make it at senior level. Maybe that is changing and the two Macs are succeeding where others failed.
Unless the backs are less porous and Leroy behaves himself, we could be left wondering about what might have been..
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

magpie seanie

Do Mayo play up or down to their opponents level?

rosnarun

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 24, 2017, 11:16:09 AM
Do Mayo play up or down to their opponents level?
the fortune/unfortunate answer is Yes
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere