Armagh v Tipperary 15/7/17??

Started by tonto1888, July 10, 2017, 08:50:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tippabu

Quote from: theticklemister on July 16, 2017, 11:53:40 AM
I got a bit of abuse when reffing a game recently for the advantage rule.

-A man was flying down the endline towards goal, when the opposition man pulled him back.
-I let the play go and the attacker passed the ball back to his teammate on the 13m line, he got the shot away but was under pressure from 3 defenders and pulled his shot wide.
-I brought this back for a 13m free for the earlier foul.
-My reasoning was that although he did take a shot and went wide he was under pressure, whilst his team mate was bearing down on goal before getting pulled back - no fair advantage.

Thoughts?

Quick question....ive noticed this alot, is there a specific rule with advantage? nearly everytime advantage is being played and theres a foul during the advantage its brought back for the original foul even if the foul during advantage is a penalty or free in a better position?

theticklemister

Quote from: tippabu on July 16, 2017, 12:03:58 PM

-A man was flying down the endline towards goal, when the opposition man pulled him back.
-I let the play go and the attacker passed the ball back to his teammate on the 13m line, he got the shot away but was under pressure from 3 defenders and pulled his shot wide.
-My reasoning was that although he did take a shot and went wide he was under pressure, whilst his team mate was bearing down on goal before getting pulled back - no fair advantage.

Thoughts?

Quick question....ive noticed this alot, is there a specific rule with advantage? nearly everytime advantage is being played and theres a foul during the advantage its brought back for the original foul even if the foul during advantage is a penalty or free in a better position?

there is suppose to be a 5 second advantage

tippabu

Quote from: theticklemister on July 16, 2017, 12:08:58 PM

Thoughts?

I know, im just saying surely a free in a more adventitious position or on 4/5 occasions ive seen a penalty should have been given but its called back for original free seems like it goes completely against the rule.

David McKeown

Thoughts?

In that circumstance I don't see how a shot under pressure is an advantage over a 13m free so I don't think you should wait for the outcome of the shot and should award the free as soon as it's clear that the attacker was going to be under extreme pressure but at the same time and again I'm in the minority here I think if you are clearly indicating advantage and the attacker is aware of the advantage they shouldn't get two bites at the cherry. If they choose to take the shot and miss then that's on them, they've had their advantage, their lack of ability shouldn't be rewarded.  All they had to do was stop playing.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

tippabu

and on your original comment, id say your call is spot on.

Main Street

Quote from: armaghniac on July 16, 2017, 02:29:18 AM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 16, 2017, 02:25:49 AM
Quote from: Zulu on July 16, 2017, 01:03:31 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on July 16, 2017, 12:39:01 AM
Any cynical jersey pulls should be black cards, but they currently aren't within the scope of the rule/sanction. If it was, instead of worrying about the number of culprits it may lead to a cleaner game and eradicate one form of cheating. Why pull a jersey in the first place?

Have you ever played any contact sport?

What McKeever did was pretty much why the black card was introduced in the first place. Totally cynical. He just got away with because he didn't actually drag the player to ground but the result is still the same.

Quite apart from the nature of the offence, the Black card is not an effective deterrent in injury time in any case.
Naturally the black card won't deter (by much) cynical play at the very end of a game, but it had a big  effect on players queuing up to take their yellow card in the last 10 /15 mins, to slow down the game.
It has also had a big effect during the game in deterring the cynical deliberate fouling to slow down the counter attack, in fact it has changed to some degree the way teams are set up to play.

I'd agree that what McKeever did is the stuff of a black card.

David McKeown

Quote from: tippabu on July 16, 2017, 12:12:39 PM
Quote from: theticklemister on July 16, 2017, 12:08:58 PM

Thoughts?

I know, im just saying surely a free in a more adventitious position or on 4/5 occasions ive seen a penalty should have been given but its called back for original free seems like it goes completely against the rule.

That's what I mean. What constitutes an advantage?  A free in a better position is surely an advantage but similarly so is a shot. In association football it's maybe easier to establish because it's harder to score. Similarly in rugby there's no time restraint. The rule as it stands for me is poorly defined.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

tonto1888

Quote from: Main Street on July 16, 2017, 12:16:47 PM
Any cynical jersey pulls should be black cards, but they currently aren't within the scope of the rule/sanction. If it was, instead of worrying about the number of culprits it may lead to a cleaner game and eradicate one form of cheating. Why pull a jersey in the first place?

What McKeever did was pretty much why the black card was introduced in the first place. Totally cynical. He just got away with because he didn't actually drag the player to ground but the result is still the same.

Quite apart from the nature of the offence, the Black card is not an effective deterrent in injury time in any case.
Naturally the black card won't deter (by much) cynical play at the very end of a game, but it had a big  effect on players queuing up to take their yellow card in the last 10 /15 mins, to slow down the game.
It has also had a big effect during the game in deterring the cynical deliberate fouling to slow down the counter attack, in fact it has changed to some degree the way teams are set up to play.

What black card offence did it fall under?

Also, how many got yellow cards in the last ten mins?

Armamike

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 16, 2017, 01:17:33 AM

Aye, probably more than yourself but never found the need to pull a jersey. Are you a jersey puller? It's the most obvious case of cynical play in the GAA and the black card was brought in to get rid of cynical play therefore a jersey pull should be a black card offence.

Seriously?  You played football and you never tugged a jersey?
That's just, like your opinion man.

LCohen

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on July 16, 2017, 08:24:58 AM
Quote from: smelmoth on July 15, 2017, 11:26:32 PM
Quote from: Zulu on July 15, 2017, 11:18:23 PM
So you want a guy sent off for a tug of the jersey? There's too much physicality taken out of the game already, lads getting sent off of a jersey pull would make the bloody thing entirely non-contact.

What Ciaran did was not a run of the mill jersey pull

I would have been disappointed if it had been.

Was the Tyrone keeper doing what needed done to O'Hanlon there?

Main Street

Quote from: tonto1888 on July 16, 2017, 01:34:29 PM

It didn't fall under a black card offence, it was a yellow card, the ref got it right.
QuoteAlso, how many got yellow cards in the last ten mins?
I don't know.

tonto1888

Quote from: Main Street on July 16, 2017, 02:53:01 PM

It didn't fall under a black card offence, it was a yellow card, the ref got it right.
I don't know.

I think I misread you. Are you saying that what McKeever done, that type of foul should be a black card?

Main Street

Quote from: tonto1888 on July 16, 2017, 04:19:41 PM
Quote from: Main Street on July 16, 2017, 02:53:01 PM

I don't know.

I think I misread you. Are you saying that what McKeever done, that type of foul should be a black card?
Yep, 100% it should be a black card offence, but I recognise that it's a yellow under current rules.

bennydorano

Wouldn't fancy Armagh's chances v Kildare

Armamike

That's just, like your opinion man.